worried

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 18th, 2006, 05:58 AM
ilovemy3wikids
That I made the wrong decision. I know I don't really want to send DD to school, I am just having a hard time getting everything ready. I wish I would have bought more boxed curric for the 1st yr. The only things laid out are saxon matha dn phonics. Next yr we are doing story of the world and I may look for more of a "boxed"science too. I had ordered my world science but it will sit unused cause I feel it is a really dry program. Ugg. This is harder than I thought. I want my dd to have fun and I really hope I can teach her well enough. Than I have a 7 mo teething baby to care for. I hope I can do this. I am so overwhlmed and the only homeschooling group here has older kids ( like 10 and up ) so they aren't much help
July 18th, 2006, 07:15 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Take a deep breath and relax. You'll do just fine teaching your daughter. Everyone has doubts, particularly in the beginning. You will likely change your mind on various things (like you already have) and may even ditch something right in the middle. That is okay! A lot of early homeschooling is trial and error as you find just what works right for your daughter and you.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

July 18th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm so sorry that you are feeling doubtful and overwhelmed. We all go through it. I have gone through it a couple of days when I wondered what in the world I am doing. However, once I get it all down on paper, I relax and enjoy it. Just make your decisions and make peace with them...you will do fine.
July 18th, 2006, 10:37 AM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
First, let me tell you that you sound EXACTLY like me, except that I had a 2 year old instead of a 7-month old!! Jo (from Australia) had to tell me to relax about 500 times last year because I had the same concerns as you have. (And I still have them, honestly)

Second, you (probably) did not make the wrong decision! You made a huge, scary, life-altering decision, but (if I may make some presumptions here) you made that decision because you want your child to have a better education than she would get at a public school. That is a good decision. Have faith in that decision.

Here's what helps me...
First, it helped to think about what kindergarten was like when I was there - LOTS of playing, very little as far as sitting and doing worksheets and math and such. PlayDoh, painting, learning letters and sounds and how to begin to put them together to make simple words, numbers and simple math...things like that. It was more like learning by osmosis, if that makes any sense at all. Kindergarten was pure fun, really, with learning thrown in here and there when I didn't even realize it. That is the experience that I wanted DD to have last year. Some days I did better than others! When I think about what I didn't learn in kindergarten, the things that come to mind are "formal" science and "formal" history, so, IMO, you could probably ditch those for this year. (I'm thinking that I may ditch those for first grade even and continue to concentrate on reading, writing, and math!)

Honestly, I really feel like you can't under-teach in kindergarten. I looked at the guidelines for my state and made sure that we met (and most of the time, exceeded) those guidelines.

So, I hoped that helped. A lot of it is just my opinion, and there are probably those out there who would completely disagree with me...but oh well!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

July 18th, 2006, 03:11 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ok here I come with my big stick.....relax! Your dd is 5, only a few months older then mine and I am no way thinking of formal science or history yet. Think reading (if shes ready) and maths and how you can make them fun. Unless your dd has an absolute love for doing workbook pages, then having to do a number of those every day as lessons is sure to make her dislike school. I would make at lest one part of the days school a game/ or a craft/ or some other fun activity/ such as a hands on science experiment or bug finding etc. If she can sit for short chapter books I would find some that encorporate history or science such as the Magic school bus and make that a part of your reading.
lol Lisa recons I'm the board policewoman so here's the order...RELAX!

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search