How's it going?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By The Studious Mrs P.

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 30th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Quiet here....how about a check in

How's your summer(or whatever season it is where you're at) going so far?
Any fun plans for this summer?

Our summer has been pretty typical, lol. Lots of playing outside, enjoying the sunshine. I got the kids a basketball hoop, which they're loving(as am I, truth be told I got it for myself). It's used, but it was free, who can pass that up? We have a gravel driveway but it's not really loose gravel, so it works out ok.
The first week in July my hometown has their little mardi gras(it's a carnival type thing with lots of rides, games, food, etc..). The parade is on the 5th, I still need to figure out how we're going to manage that one. I need to find us a ride to it.

We got some new neighbors too. Well, not really new, these people are gone 1/2 the year. They have two little boys though so the kids are really thrilled to have friends, lol. It's a really nice family which is great because there aren't many kids anywhere near us. We haven't really chatted much until this year since they're not usually here during the summer. They have a trampoline, and a pool, the kids are loving it.

So far the summer hasn't been too bad. Leo got stitches from stepping on glass, it pretty much filleted his toe. But he got those out on Wednesday. Now he's got a permanent raised up V shape. I told him it's the mark of evil because he's a descendant of Voldemort. It's actually going to leave a really funky scar, almost like he was branded because the V is puffed up. He thinks it's cool. "My first tattoo"...sigh.

In August I am going on a trip for about three weeks. Really excited about that. The kids are staying with my mom, they can't wait, haha. I get to go visit a really good childhood friend of mine that I visited last year. I was at her wedding last year and now I get to be there for the birth of her first baby Which is really cool.

Other than that, our summer has been pretty uneventful.
June 30th, 2012, 01:40 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
June has been crazy for us. July should be more relaxed. Getting ready to teach VBS in August, getting some last-minute lesson planning done for this school year, getting some stuff done for work, but mostly... just hanging out. Ben's going to occupy his "I'm boooorrrrred!" space with a unit study of ancient Rome and perhaps some time on IXL.com, and of course Daniel is insanely addicted to Starfall.com, but otherwise, no school right now.
June 30th, 2012, 07:50 PM
So far so good.

Dd(18) will be working and going to the beach all summer.

Dd(15) has a theater jazz & tap workshop that starts tomorrow and runs for 9 weeks. Along with that, a 3 day per week all-summer intensive at her dance studio where she'll be doing more theater jazz & tap, as well as pilates, turns & technique, contemporary, and lyrical dance (that starts July 10). She'll be at her friend's beach house this week.

Ds(11) will be doing some light schoolwork this summer - mainly independent reading and summer bridge workbooks. I'd like to slowly begin his new curriculum to get a head start on the fall. I finally have everything we need and I'm getting antsy to get it started! He and I will be taking advantage of the tons of NYC summer activities (pools, library programs, museums, parks, etc). Right now, though, it's way to hot to even leave the house.

Truth be told, I hate the summer. I can't wait til September!

Dd(19) Internship in Manhattan
Dd(16) Junior dance major at the "Fame" high school
Ds(12) 6th Grade relaxed eclectic homeschooler
June 30th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Veteran
So far this summer we;ve been doing a lot of swimming and splash park time. Claire and Madelyn's adoption was finalized. VBS was this past week. I taught a 5's class, Claire and Madelyn had a lot of fun! Olivia kept the nursery on their toes with diaper blow-outs, haha! They won't use cloth except on Sundays when I can come change her when needed, so it's their fault they have to deal with the blow-outs, haha. Claire starts a home summer reading program on Monday. She's super stoked, and so am I!

July 2nd, 2012, 05:35 AM
Veteran
We're intending to move to another country next year and there are multiple things in process to make way for that. One is some big work to our house so that we can get it on the market to sell. Another is applying for citizenship to this country since our home base remains here and we'll be back and forth. I made sudden changes to my plans for the upcoming school year with the intention of making things easier on me and we're taking this week of and then beginning a new curriculum. I'm looking forward to it.

Congrats on the adoption finalization, Lucy!

Frackle, I'm glad all is well with Leo and his toe. You talk about it so calmly that I get the impression you are both very brave. lol
July 2nd, 2012, 07:58 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
What new curriculum will you be using?
July 2nd, 2012, 10:04 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by BensMom View Post
What new curriculum will you be using?
I decided on Heart of Dakota's Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory. It's sort of an odd choice for this child but ultimately, I love the way the teacher's guide is organized, it's closest to our core values (the company, not this specific guide) and I really needed to redeem the time I was spending on planning or thinking about planning certain subjects so I can focus on things that are more important to us right now (character and foreign language). He'll have plenty of time and opportunity to continue pursuing the areas of his own interest (he's huge on science) rather than me trying to make school fill those needs, if that makes sense. His math and spelling will remain separate (Life of Fred and Sequential Spelling, if you're curious ).
BensMom likes this.
July 2nd, 2012, 12:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Not a lot going here. We went on vacation a couple of weeks ago. We are going to my mom's for the fourth. Hopefully after that we will be able to just chill at home for a while. I still have some planning to do and there is chance we'll be moving in a couple of months so I need to prepare the house to sell and do a big clean out before the movers come.
A-6yrs 3/08
J-4.5yrs 11/09
K 2.5yrs 9/11
And
L-7/12/14!!!!

July 2nd, 2012, 12:21 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
Things are going great for us. We're still doing school, but less of it since the nice weather has been here. The kids have been spending a lot of time outside, which is great for the condition of my house

I've been busy preparing for the arrival of baby girl, who now has a name! She will be Hannah Willow Ann We've also been in the process of buying a new house and hope to be moving this month!

Last weekend was Sophia's first birthday party, and yesterday was her birthday- so hard to believe!

Alyssa has dance camp in a couple of weeks, and Alyssa and Rylan both will start soccer soon.
July 5th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We went on a big vacation last week (Bahamas!) and have been super lazy this week. Think sleeping in until 9 and not dressed until 10. That is very very late for us, and especially me. We have a couple more smaller trips coming up (camping and visits to the grandparents.) When we're home we mostly just go to the pool and hang around the house. It's been really hot. I signed the kids up for Summer Reading at the library too, and for a week of VBS in August.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search