New to HS this year

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By mamaginger
  • 1 Post By aect-mama
  • 1 Post By in_mommy
  • 1 Post By BensMom
  • 1 Post By mamaginger

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 13th, 2012, 08:55 AM
mamaginger's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will be taking on the task of homeschooling for the first time ever (while pregant with #2). My son is going into 2nd grade and has been in public school for the past 3 years (4k-1st). He loved 4k and hated the rest. We all hated it.

My son is very smart and very thirsty for knowledge. He's extremely interested in science and mechanics. He LOATHES worksheets....as do I!

Anyway, I almost picked Abeka for language arts until I really looked at it and decided it was basically the christianized version of regular old public school worksheets. BOOOOO.....

So I decided to go with Drawn into the Heart of Reading. Anyone used it or familiar with it? You get to choose your own books. Like the first part is on biographies and we can go to the library and pick our own biography to read and do all the work on. I think my son will like that. The curriculum I got can be used with any grade levels so if we like it, we can use it year after year.

I also got A Reason for Spelling. I think I'm going to just have him copy Bible verses or something for handwriting practice and then have him keep a journal.

We will also be using Math-U-See. I know several people who have used it and speak very highly of it.

My aunt let me have her Cathy Duffy 100 Top Picks book and that really helped me with choosing curriculum since I'm completely new to it this year. My son is a "Competent Carl" according to her book and she shows on a scale of 1-5 which curriculum would appeal to competent carls. It was great. highly recommend if you are trying to decide on curriculum for your child.

We also joined a Classical Conversations group in our area. I have several online friends that use it and LOVE it. I went to observe one day and was BLOWN AWAY. SO awesome and SO excited about it!!! It does cost about $500 a year to do this but it is going to be so worth it!! We'll be starting all of that in about a month. YAY for new beginnings!!

OH!...forgot to mention that I also ordered a Creation Science curriculum that starts with a book on Astronomy. My son is very excited about that. We'll do lots of grammar/projects/music/art/history at our CC group.
clouise and aect-mama like this.

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb...I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made...My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together...Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Psalm 139: 13-16

Last edited by mamaginger; July 13th, 2012 at 08:58 AM. Reason: typos
July 13th, 2012, 10:43 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Welcome! I'm Chrystal. My boys will be doing 1st and 4th this year. My best friend is doing CC for her two boys. I love it in theory, but it's just not for us. We also lean towards classical homeschooling. You mentioned science... would it be Apologia, perhaps? That's what we're using, and I love it.

Good luck as you start your journey. Please jump right in here and get to know us.
July 13th, 2012, 11:39 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
Welcome! I'm relatively new to homeschooling myself, my oldest daughter is in Kindergarten, and my son is in preschool
July 13th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaginger View Post
My aunt let me have her Cathy Duffy 100 Top Picks book and that really helped me with choosing curriculum since I'm completely new to it this year. My son is a "Competent Carl" according to her book and she shows on a scale of 1-5 which curriculum would appeal to competent carls. It was great. highly recommend if you are trying to decide on curriculum for your child.
I'm going to have to look for that book! I'm a newbie to homeschooling myself. I'm impressed with how much you've figured out already! I have no idea where to start.

Anyway, I'm Audrey. I have a 4 1/2 year old dd and a 2 1/2 year old ds and two more on the way. I'm looking forward to getting to know you. Good luck with homeschooling.
mamaginger likes this.
~Mother of Miracles

July 13th, 2012, 07:58 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
Welcome!!! We pulled my oldest out after first grade. She will be going into 5th now. You will have to let us know your thoughts on that LA you picked. I have not heard of that one before.
mamaginger likes this.
July 13th, 2012, 08:07 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Audrey... the book is great, and you can find used copies or go to the library, but she also has a website (just google it). A lot of what's in the book is free online. Some isn't, of course, but a lot is.
aect-mama likes this.
July 14th, 2012, 08:36 AM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
welcome!

July 14th, 2012, 12:46 PM
mamaginger's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I sat with that cathy Duffy book and my laptop for about 3 days looking over all the different curricula. I don't know how I would've made a decision without it!
aect-mama likes this.

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb...I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made...My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together...Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Psalm 139: 13-16

July 16th, 2012, 05:21 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Welcome! I'm starting up this year too. My big kids are going into first and second grade, and I have two younger girls as well. We decided to go with Oak Meadow, and that covers most subjects. I'm sure we'll add more in as we go though.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search