Introduction

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By breathing for two

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 20th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Destiny
Hello! I've been meaning to pop over here for awhile, and just getting around to it now.
My babies are 1 and 2, so I supposedly have plenty of time to figure things out, but I'm really starting to see how these things can sneak up on you.

I have lots of questions about curriculum and teaching styles. I'm living in an area with a great homeschooling community, but it's a little tricky for me since it's a very conservative and religious area and I was hoping for slightly more secular teaching tools.
My children are totally different, my daughter is very passionate and highstrung while my son is more relaxed and go-with-the-flow. And I have the feeling that each of them will learn best in completely different ways, which is pretty intimidating for me.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting to know you all.

July 20th, 2012, 06:36 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
Hey, welcome over here! My children are VERY different learners as well, and while I have to teach them each differently, I've managed to find quite a few things that we can do together too
July 20th, 2012, 06:50 PM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi and welcome! I'm Meagan, mama to Addi who is four. My only advice is don't be afraid to try different things-more than likely the first thing you try won't be what works, don't be afraid to admit that and try another route.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

July 20th, 2012, 07:28 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Welcome!! There are a lot of Christian publishers, it's true, but there are also some secular resources out there. It's not too early to start researching. I prefer to teach from a Christian viewpoint, but I have several secular resources bookmarked. Perhaps others can comment on what they think of these:
July 21st, 2012, 11:26 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Welcome! I'm Claire and my kids are 7, 6, 4, and 2.

I like this site for tips on secular curriculums.
The Secular Homeschool Community - The Secular Homeschool Community

As for local groups, that might be a little tougher depending on where you live. But you've got a few years to look around...and you can always start your own group as well. If your area is big enough the Rec department, YMCA, or other places like that might even offer classes for homeschoolers.
July 21st, 2012, 07:11 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
Welcome!!! Dont be afraid to take a different approach for each kid. What works for one doesnt always work for another. Sometimes you will have to try different things until you find the perfect one. It can seem overwhelming at first but once you get your groove it is good to go
July 21st, 2012, 09:46 PM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
welcome

July 24th, 2012, 02:40 PM
Super Mommy
Hi friend. I really like your posts in the AP board. Glad to see you over here. Welcome to homeschooling.
~Mother of Miracles

July 24th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Destiny
Quote:
Originally Posted by BensMom View Post
Welcome!! There are a lot of Christian publishers, it's true, but there are also some secular resources out there. It's not too early to start researching. I prefer to teach from a Christian viewpoint, but I have several secular resources bookmarked. Perhaps others can comment on what they think of these:
Quote:
Originally Posted by clouise View Post
Welcome! I'm Claire and my kids are 7, 6, 4, and 2.

I like this site for tips on secular curriculums.
The Secular Homeschool Community - The Secular Homeschool Community

As for local groups, that might be a little tougher depending on where you live. But you've got a few years to look around...and you can always start your own group as well. If your area is big enough the Rec department, YMCA, or other places like that might even offer classes for homeschoolers.
Thanks for the resources. I'll try to look through them when I have some time soon

The public schools in this area seem to be a lot more HS-friendly than in other places I've lived. I'm friends with an older mom who was able to successfully partially homeschool for the last few years when her children wanted to participate in some public school programs.
I think I'll have good luck finding things, even though I live in a very small town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aect-mama View Post
Hi friend. I really like your posts in the AP board. Glad to see you over here. Welcome to homeschooling.
Awww that made me smile Great to see you here too.
aect-mama likes this.

July 24th, 2012, 11:14 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Hi there, nice to meet you

We use K12, and I supplement a great deal (the k12 is their base). We originally went with k12 to start with because it was free and and all in one. At that time piece parting and entire curriculum-at no cost-was beyond daunting to me. I didn't have the resources to just buy what we needed, even at deep discounts, it wasn't happening, lol. We did our first year(which was really only half a year or so) on just that k12 curriculum. Last year I did both, used K12 as a base(again because it's an all in one) and I supplement-a lot. Some people think it's weird to use a base at all, but it gives me good jumping off points. It has other pros as well. The few cons it has I can overcome by supplementing, so it works out really well for us. Many think anyone who uses any kind of online schooling, or umbrella school isn't actually homeschooling. I would love for them to spend a week here in this house, they'll change their minds

We are also secular-probably more than most who say they are, lol. It can be difficult to find purely secular things, and others have already given the links I would have offered, lol. It is entirely possible to find what you need or to supplement/switch up a subject if there is something you're very interested in but it has a more religion based tone to it. You can always use that as a jumping off point rather than an actual lesson. If that makes any sense. I hope it does, it does in my head, haha.

At any rate, welcome The ladies here are fantastic and there is a crap load of great advice and resources to be found here. You've come to the right place. I recommend checking out the links and stuff up in the resources sticky and the other sections too. There's some pretty interesting stuff in there.
July 25th, 2012, 07:04 AM
noworries
Welcome to the homeschooling board. My kids have very different learning styles too and it will be interesting to see how we go about handling that. My daughter is just in kindergarten and my son is almost 2 so we haven't really started much "formal" stuff yet (and am not sure when or if I will).
I live in a very conservative area and most of the homeschooling groups are conservatively Christian but you will meet all kinds of different people from different philosophy's in any homeschool group that you are a part of.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search