Checking in and curriculum questions

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 23rd, 2012, 05:50 PM
brandimomof2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hello, I have not posted in a while but use to come here often. Hope everyone is doing well.

I just wanted to get some ideas on a English for my 5th grader. We have done R&S and I love it but she did not. We have also done SOS and she did like it but it was a lot and the software glitches drove me crazy. So we are looking to try something new. Any ideas of some great English programs?

I am also looking for some things for my 2nd grader. We have used MFW up to this point but now its not a all in one anymore. We like MFW but not sure I will be able to do it because we are thinking of doing Classical Conversations for that part.

July 23rd, 2012, 06:02 PM
Can anyone tell me how learning Lang Arts through Lit works? Is it a christian program at all? Not that it has to be but just wondering. Looks like it could be neat but not real sure. If anyone has experience with it please let me know. Thanks

July 23rd, 2012, 07:51 PM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
ok, I have used Bob Jones and Abeka. My kids hated Abeka. They love BJ... So we are back to BJ this year

July 23rd, 2012, 07:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't have experience with LA. For that age, but I am looking into Saxon writing and grammar starting in 5th grade. We would be using it now if they offered it for lower grades.
A-6yrs 3/08
J-4.5yrs 11/09
K 2.5yrs 9/11
And
L-7/12/14!!!!

July 23rd, 2012, 09:19 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
For English, are you looking for something that just teaches grammar rules or that also teaches writing like R&S does? Have you looked at Shurley, Easy Grammar, Michael Clay, or First Language Lessons? We're using R&S, but for grammar, I think Shurley would be my 2nd choice. I've never seen the others, but I know they're very popular (especially Easy Grammar).

I haven't used LLATL, but it's very popular among classical HS'ers I know (since you mentioned Classical Conversations). It's Christian, but not in your face. If what we're using weren't already working well for us, I'd definitely consider it. I've flipped through some at used bookstores, but not enough that I could give you a review. This is a good review, though: Review of: Learning Language Arts through Literature It's definitely worth looking into if you're wanting a full language program rather than just grammar.

You might like BJU as was suggested for a boxed curriculum. Abeka is much different from MFW... very "school-ish", so if you're looking for something like MFW, Abeka probably isn't it. (I like Abeka, though. It's very rigorous.)

I have a friend in town who is using CC for her 3rd grader, and I think the only thing she has to teach at home is math (although she supplements science as well because that's her passion). Is that how yours will work? Are you really just needing to fill in subject gaps?
July 24th, 2012, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. We have used Abeka before and it is a lot. LOL I am actually more on the Charlotte Mason style but have heard good things about Classical Conversations. I have heard its easy to combine the two. We would just be doing the Foundation program and not the Essentials so we would not be getting the Lang Arts from them. So I need a complete math and Lang Arts. I will check out some of the suggestions. I have also heard very good things about Sonlight but have never taken the plunge. LOL

July 24th, 2012, 09:23 PM
Super Mommy
I don't know anything about classical conversations but Sonlight was one of the programs I was seriously considering for my dd. I ultimately felt like it was a little too overwhelming for me as a first time homeschooler. But there's a lot that I love about it and I may switch to it at some point when my kids are older and I have a little more experience under my belt. If you do decide to take the plunge, I'd love to hear what you think.
I also looked into LLATL but the core curriculum we ended up choosing has a very strong literature component already. We really just need to supplement with phonics.
Sorry I'm not much help to you but good luck with your decision. Hope you'll stick around and post some more.
~Mother of Miracles

August 6th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Thanks!!! I do like the looks of Sonlight as well. We use My Fathers World though which is very much like Sonlight except its not so overwhelming. Its also cheaper. LOL

August 6th, 2012, 02:11 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Curious... what part of TX are you in?
August 11th, 2012, 12:25 PM
MamaFish's Avatar Swimming Upstream
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandimomof2 View Post
I am actually more on the Charlotte Mason style .... I have also heard very good things about Sonlight but have never taken the plunge. LOL
For Charlotte Mason style LA you may like Queen Homeschool Supply's Language Lessons Queen Homeschool Supplies ALL my dc love them.

Queen also carries science, math, and history in the Charlotte Mason style.

I have used Sonlight for 7 years and we all love it. You cannot do everything in the schedule and they tell you that! Just do what fits your family. Many people take more than a year to do a core, even 2 years. Their language arts is more Charlotte Mason style as well, but I switched years ago and we like Queen so I'm not switching back.

If you didn't know already, Sonlight offers a money back guarantee on any core you buy. Use it for a whole year (up to 18 weeks worth of materials) and if you don't "love" it, you send it all back! Their online forums are an AWESOME resource!

Oh, I also use Easy Grammar.

dd SK (13.5)
dd AB (11)

ds TJ (9)
ds SR (6.5)

dd LG (4)
edd @ June 14
August 14th, 2012, 02:03 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
We have done Easy Grammar in the past but this year decided to go and do things differently and are using SOS. So far things are going great. If we were not using SOS we would be using Easy Grammar for sure.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search