My head is spinning...

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By The Studious Mrs P.
  • 1 Post By christianmommato3
  • 1 Post By The Studious Mrs P.

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 24th, 2012, 03:34 PM
Super Mommy
but I've finally made a plan and decided on curriculum! Most of it is in the mail. We can't wait to get started!

Mercy will be using Heart of Dakota for core curriculum and supplimenting with Horizons for math and phonics (and a few other random things just for fun. ) I think Heart of Dakota will work really well for Nathaniel too. I got him the preschool curriculum. But we'll have to use different suppliments for him I'm sure.
I can totally see how someone becomes a curriculum junkie with all this stuff. Everything I looked at gave me more great ideas. I had to force myself to stop looking after a while.

Anyway, just wanted to share my joy.

P.S. Anyone here used Heart of Dakota?? Thoughts?? Opinions?? I'm especially curious about the history and science. They use Christian Liberty Press books for those subjects. Wondering if it sways more toward a specific political or denominational veiwpoint. (I'm okay with that. Just wondering what kinds of discussions I'm in for.)
~Mother of Miracles

Last edited by aect-mama; July 24th, 2012 at 03:36 PM.
July 24th, 2012, 06:20 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I haven't used it, but hopefully you'll like it. A lot of people do.
July 24th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Veteran
I'm using Beyond this year for my 6yo. I did a little (about a third) of Little Hearts last year and do wish I'd stuck with it but at the time I wasn't sure how to make it work with my child who was already placing into Beyond for core skills but wasn't yet in the age range for it. It was really a better fit for this year anyway because he definitely wasn't ready for Bigger (far more formal, seated work that he's use to). DS enjoyed many parts of Little Hearts but he also liked that it made for a short school day and left him plenty of time to pursue his own interests.

The science is very gentle early on. DS enjoys the little activities scheduled for science and I don't add a science curriculum but he does have a lot of books and other resources for pursuing his own scientific interests. I don't use the scheduled math either but I do at times still do the math activities.

The denominational bent is protestant. You'll also find the authors hold to young earth creationism.

The history in Little Hearts and Beyond isn't exactly how I think I would choose to do it but I do really like the look of the years ahead so I'm content to stick with even these younger guides (I have more little ones who will do Little Hearts eventually) because the gentle start works with my present and long term goals (we do several foreign languages and those, more than history, are my focus at this age). I have tried Little Hands two times and it just didn't pan out for me. I've decided I'm just the sort to be very informal about preschool.

We're on our third week this week and DS is enjoying it very much. I hope it works out well for you and your family.
aect-mama likes this.
July 24th, 2012, 08:51 PM
Super Mommy
Thanks for all that info. I'm glad you and your ds are enjoying it so far. I hope we will too.

I didn't think I'd get a preschool curriculum myself. I like the informal approach. But reading through the previews online convinced me that at the very least it would be a good resource for fun learning activities that will keep him active. Plus he's in this "I want to do everything my big sister does" phase at the moment.
~Mother of Miracles

July 24th, 2012, 10:10 PM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
I haven't used HOD, but I use Christian Liberty Press I like everything but the
younger history and science
aect-mama likes this.

July 25th, 2012, 04:32 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
I haven't use those, but hooray for choosing your curriculum!
July 25th, 2012, 08:26 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianmommato3 View Post
I haven't used HOD, but I use Christian Liberty Press I like everything but the younger history and science
Hmm .. I wonder how many are turned off from them because they start with their little ones and don't like the books for the early years.

aect-mama: To be frank, I bought the 1st grade science book to go with Little Hearts and could have gone without it so I wasn't inspired to buy the second grade science book for Beyond this year. Little Hearts comes with the option for the K or the 1st grade science books and I heard that the K book fit better with the activities and was preferred by some regardless of their child's "grade". The books are listed just as "text connections" anyway, not as necessary components to the program.
aect-mama likes this.
July 27th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Super Mommy
That's good to know. I ordered the kindergarten science. Seemed like a basic introduction which is all I'm looking for at this point. I figured it would be easy enough to suppliment with other things if she's really interested or just do the bare minimum if she's not.

I'm suprised actually that you both seem more excited about the history for older years than younger. I had the exact opposite impression from what I saw online. First grade seemed to be a very kid friendly story/narrative approach which is what I was really excited about. Second grade seemed to all of a sudden switch to a very dry textbook approach. It felt out-dated and boring to me.

Of course this is all only based on what I was able to preview from their website. Maybe it's not a very accurate impression?? What is it about the older years that you like better? Is it content or presentation? something else?
~Mother of Miracles

July 27th, 2012, 06:00 PM
Countrymom4's Avatar Chrystal
Yay Audrey, glad you found your books !

Thank You tasha_mae

July 28th, 2012, 07:55 AM
Veteran
Which guides are you referring to for the grades? (Each can be used for a small range of ages - like LHFHG can be used for K or 1st, Beyond for 1st or 2nd, etc.) The history in LHFHG, the CLP book, is a textbook. Goofy, yes, but a textbook. Oh yeah, I remember, it starts with a Bible story book and includes a history story book (also from CLP, if I'm recalling correctly).

The history in Beyond comes from three sources, all are full of history stories, many (most, all?) are realistic historical fiction. It does give a very good feel for the period and the people - what it was like living through the founding of the nation, etc. My son absolutely loves these stories. Personally, I almost didn't do Beyond because I wasn't persuaded of the benefits of this approach but I can appreciate it more now that I can see my son really getting into the time period through the stories.

In the next guide, Bigger, the history is made up of biographies - real stories of the real people, which is more like what I have been looking forward to for American history. Preparing doesn't use textbooks for history, either.

I believe Jaime was talking about CLP specifically and HOD doesn't rely upon CLP, they just use some of their books here and there.

Last edited by The Studious Mrs P.; July 28th, 2012 at 07:58 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search