TV an Educational tool? Come vote & share your thoughts

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Irish_Wristwatch
  • 2 Post By breathing for two
  • 1 Post By noworries

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 25th, 2012, 12:01 AM
KeriMomof2's Avatar Veteran
Do you think that TV can be a Educational tool ? Vote Yes or No!

*Keri*I am a Co-sleeping ...Retired-EBF'er "8+years total"...No-circumcision... Non-Vaxing...Home-schooling/Road-schooling ~> College Student Momma, Who loves Blogging<~click to View O' and did I mention I am now a Avon Sales Rep ? www.youravon.com/Keri
July 25th, 2012, 04:18 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Yes, absolutely. It's insane how much my kids have learned from TV shows. There's also a lot of junk (but, really, there's a place for the junk, too).

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

July 25th, 2012, 04:47 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
Yes, definitely! Although it is something we have to be careful with, I think tv can be very useful!
July 25th, 2012, 04:59 AM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
for sure! My son learned to recognize all his letters before age 2 because he watched Super Why and word world

I agree there is a ton of junk on there, we limit the amount of tv when the kids are awake and stick to the educational things (mostly PBS) but I think it most certainly can be educational, even for my little ones. I have learned lots of things watching the discovery channel (and other similar channels and documentary films) so im sure we will use TV as an educational tool more in the future
aect-mama likes this.

July 25th, 2012, 06:05 AM
Destiny
Absolutely.
I do think one thing that can be important is the parent watching with them. When my little sister was younger I remember watching the children's shows with her, and we would do fun follow up projects. I feel like it really helped her pick up on things faster and understand them more completely.
noworries and aect-mama like this.

July 25th, 2012, 06:59 AM
noworries
Yes, TV can be an educational tool. Tool being the word that needs to be emphasized.
aect-mama likes this.
July 25th, 2012, 07:16 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Love TV around here!
July 25th, 2012, 04:18 PM
bookworm16_2000's Avatar Mom to Allison and JR
We watch lots of PBS Kids shows here (on netflix) and they are educational! Allison can recognize all of her letters, upper and lower case, from watching Super Why. Everything is good in moderation, just don't over do a good thing!

Thanks to Claire1979 for the terrific siggy!

My Blog
July 25th, 2012, 09:02 PM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
yes, my kids learn all kinds of things from pbs shows

July 26th, 2012, 01:19 PM
ady's mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes, definitely. That is why it's important that kids don't watch shows that can teach them bad things. PBS is great and Ady tells me things she learns from TV all the time.

http://adyandme.blogspot.com/
July 26th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I guess it can be. My kids watched a whole ton of tv at school last year though, and I wasn't happy with that. Every single day...pbs shows marked as reading, science, and so on. And then more tv when it was raining, or too hot or cold to go out. And they seemed to think they couldn't go out quite a bit.
July 27th, 2012, 01:17 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by clouise View Post
I guess it can be. My kids watched a whole ton of tv at school last year though, and I wasn't happy with that. Every single day...pbs shows marked as reading, science, and so on. And then more tv when it was raining, or too hot or cold to go out. And they seemed to think they couldn't go out quite a bit.
was this in a public school?? I'd be upset too. There is a time and a place for educational t.v. but it should be used as a SUPPLIMENT, not a replacement for other learning activities.

we don't have a t.v. at the moment but the kids watch videos on my laptop all the time. They are awesome and the kids do learn a lot from them. But no matter how educational they are, I try to limit screen time to an hour a day. I'm not doing a great job with that lately but I do try.
~Mother of Miracles

August 3rd, 2012, 04:28 AM
I love having the TV on for school stuff. Discovery Channel is one of our faves. I recently found out that we have a science channel too! And we've watched some great things on the History channel. Plus all the usual learning shows for the younger set. Fun stuff!

The Canadian Homeschooler - Resources for Canadian Homeschooling families.
Learning Titus 2 - my family & review blog

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search