What are you using this Fall?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 2nd, 2012, 05:39 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Whether it's the start of your school year or not, what will you be using this Fall? ... and don't forget to update the stickies if applicable, too!

We're using:
  • Bible - R&S for Ben and my own stuff for Daniel
  • English - R&S for Ben, nothing for Daniel
  • Latin - Latin for Children C for Ben, and Song School Latin for Daniel
  • Spelling - Sequential Spelling for Ben, nothing for Daniel
  • Math - IXL for both (mostly), with a little Miquon and Life of Fred mixed in
  • Handwriting - Pentime for Ben (cursive) and HWT for Daniel (print)
  • Reading - Reading Comprehension from Varied Subject Matter (2nd set) for Ben, and finishing up ETC for Daniel - along with tons of books, of course
  • Vocab - WorldlyWise online for both
  • Science - Apologia Zoology for both (flying for Fall and swimming for Spring)
  • Social Studies - Galloping the Globe for both
  • Art - A mix of things, with a little Rod & Staff motor skills thrown in for Ben
  • Music - piano for both
  • PE - bowling league & xbox kinect for both
August 2nd, 2012, 06:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
That's quite the list!

So far we just have Oak Meadow - Grades 2 and 3. That technically covers all subjects, but I think I will be buying a different math program.

For "PE" B and M will be taking swim lessons and playing soccer, and B and C will be taking ballet and tap lessons. Plus they play outside a ton. That's the easy one for us I guess.

I'm also hoping to get them into an art class through a co-op. I'm not that crafty. My dh said he'll do some art lessons with them as well. He's better than I am.
August 2nd, 2012, 06:11 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
The three boys will be using Calvert and Teaching Textbooks for math for the older two. Adrian will finish pre-k about the end of October and move right on to kindergarten. Fritz will be doing 2nd grade and Math 4 (he's already about 25 lessons into it). Cameron will finish 4th grade probably in December and move on to 5th grade in January. He's about 50 lessons into Math 4. Both boys will move on to Math 5 whenever they finish Math 4.

Ani will be in 9th grade and since Calvert only goes to 8th we had to do something different for her. I'm still working on lesson plans so I don't have all my resources exactly yet.
Daily Warm-up - Critical Thinking, Think-a-Grams, and Mind Benders and The Idiot's Guide to the ACT
American Government - combination of Complete Curriculum.com, Great Courses, The Complete Idiot's Guide to US Government and Politics, and You Decide
Earth and Space Science - combination of Complete Curriculum.com, Great Courses, and Joy Hakim's Story of Science
Language Arts - IEW, some novels (haven't made final selections yet), Fix-It Grammar
Health - Nutrition and fitness Great Courses videos
Math - Teaching Textbooks (she's in Algebra I and will move on to Algebra II when she finishes I), Scratch Your Brain once she's in AII
Religion - our church has something for high school religion classes
Fashion Technology - my mom will be teaching that class to her, not sure what they are going to make, but it'll be all hands-on sewing
Latin - Latin Alive! 1
PE will just be typical stuff like swimming and roller skating
Art who knows, it just kind of happens
Music will be her violin (she's teaching herself to play)

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

August 2nd, 2012, 07:33 PM
Veteran
I'm using Heart of Dakota's Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory (BLHfHG) as our core program but I'm going to steal your list, Chrystal, to lay it out by subject because it was so pretty. I was thinking, "Wow! That's a lot of subjects. It makes me feel like I'm not doing much," but laying my own curriculum out this way really puffs it out. If I take out the ones we do informally it won't look so impressive so I'll leave them in.
  • Bible - BLHfHG, catechism and what we do as a family
  • English - BLHfHG
  • Latin - Prima Latina, Latin Memory Songs
  • Spelling - BLHfHG
  • Math - Kitchen Table Math, Spectrum Math Gr.2
  • Handwriting - poetry copywork from BLHfHG done in cursive
  • Reading - BLHfHG emergent readers schedule
  • Vocab - informal
  • Science - BLHfHG but mostly from science getting hit a lot informally in our home on top of DS doing a lot of self educating in areas of his interests
  • Social Studies - BLHfHG, DS's own reading
  • Art - BLHfHG and DS is always drawing. We may do Drawing with Children together (because he wants to learn more and I can't draw for anything); picture study
  • Music - piano
  • PE - informal
  • Spanish- Salsa, Getting Started With Spanish

I do have a couple of other languages (if ASL counts .. it does, right?) that we are not spending as much time on as Latin and Spanish and I haven't really formalized them yet - still looking for a good Khmer program!

Last edited by The Studious Mrs P.; August 9th, 2012 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Changed a couple of plans.
August 2nd, 2012, 08:03 PM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
Bible: Word of Life Quiet Time
Math: Saxon 8/7 and 6/5.(switched from Horizon)
Spelling: CLP building spelling skills book 7&5
English: Bob Jones English 5 and CLP Applications of Grammar Book 1
Reading/Literature: Abeka and CLP
History: Abeka for 5th and 7th
Science: Abeka for 5th and 7th
Art: lambs art book 1 by how great thou art
p.e.: history of sports with rollerskating twice a month
Typing: typing cdrom for 7th

August 2nd, 2012, 09:16 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Studious Mrs P. View Post
I'm using Heart of Dakota's Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory (BLHfHG) as our core program but I'm going to steal your list, Chrystal, to lay it out by subject because it was so pretty. I was thinking, "Wow! That's a lot of subjects. It makes me feel like I'm not doing much," but laying my own curriculum out this way really puffs it out. If I take out the ones we do informally it won't look so impressive so I'll leave them in.
Yeah, it looks like we do a lot, but we don't. Most people just say "Language Arts" for most of the stuff I listed. I list it all out like that because we use a different publisher for each. We don't do all subjects every day or anything like that.
August 3rd, 2012, 08:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Rebecca is doing Horizons Preschool this year, and Elias is doing ABeka Nursery 2.
August 5th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Here's what we've got for 6th grade:

Ambleside Online Year 4 for history, biographies, geography, science, literature, poetry, artist study, & composer study, along with:
Spelling Skills 5 & 6 (Harcourt)
Simply Grammar (Andreola)
Wordly Wise Gr. 6 (Hodkinson & Adams)
Saxon Math 7/6 (TT7 & LoF are on hand)
Outdoor Hour Challenge blog (for Nature Study)
Getting Started with Spanish (Linney & Orta)
Artistic Pursuits, Junior High Book One: Elements of Art & Composition (Ellis)

Dd(19) Internship in Manhattan
Dd(16) Junior dance major at the "Fame" high school
Ds(12) 6th Grade relaxed eclectic homeschooler

Last edited by abkjw01; August 5th, 2012 at 10:12 AM. Reason: list was huge, I condensed it.
August 5th, 2012, 03:50 PM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We are using:

Bible: I think we are going to work on character building with Focus on the Family
Math: Horizon Math K
Reading: Hooked on Phonics K
Handwriting: Handwriting Without Tears K
Science: Pinterest
History: Mostly field trips and such, she is still young so we will focus on the history of the holidays I think.
BensMom likes this.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

August 6th, 2012, 06:35 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
I'm still mostly making our own curriculum, but I want to get something for math (I need to hurry up!) and I have Hooked on Phonics and Explode the Code for language arts. Other than that, most of our "subjects" are included in our unit studies. At least until she finishes her kindergarten objectives, probably in the Spring.
August 6th, 2012, 08:07 AM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We'll be using Calvert Pre-K. Probably lots of crafty projects through Pinterest and dance class too.

August 6th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Countrymom4's Avatar Chrystal
Math: Horizon gr5 and gr2
Science: a reason for science gr5 and gr2
English: Complete English smart gr 5 and gr 2
Reading: A-Z reading
Music: piano
P.E : Figure skating, Tao kwan do, and swimming
Bible: devotionals and youth group
Hand writing: Handwriting with no tears gr 2, School zone cursive writing gr5
Spelling: Building spelling skills gr5

I am having trouble finding some social studies for Canada so this might be something I put together.

Last edited by Countrymom4; August 28th, 2012 at 08:21 AM.
August 6th, 2012, 01:28 PM
brandimomof2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are using MFW and adding Saxon math and Primary Lang Lessons. We will use Explode the Code for my younger one as well. We are doing a lot of interest unit studies this year as well. So excited about this one!!!

We may end up switching my younger daughters math but not sure just yet.

August 7th, 2012, 03:34 PM
Super Mommy
I like seeing what everyone is doing all laid out like this.

Nathaniel is doing preschool this year.
I got him Heart of Dakota: Little Hands to Heaven which he seems to be enjoying. It covers all subjects. I also got him the Horizon's preschool curriculum but we're not using it as much. Every once in a while he'll want to do a workbook page or two but the interest never lasts long.
Honestly, I mostly just got Horizon's for him because I'm sentimental and wanted the Agapeland videos that came with it. We have the stories as read along books on tape from when Justin and I were kids and we love them but they're 30 years old now and wearing out. So now our kids can enjoy the same stories on DVD.

Mercy Jane is in kindergarten. We're using mostly Heart of Dakota: Little Hearts for His Glory and Horizons for her too.

History: HOD - LHFHG (using mostly Christian Liberty Press texts)
Science: HOD - LHFHG (using Christian Liberty Press "The World God Made")
Litterature: HOD - LHFHG (using Burgess Tales and other great children's litterature - This is our favorite part of HOD so far!)
Phonics & Reading: Horizons phonics K (This is a VERY advanced and heavy curriculum. We're taking it half speed for now so it will last us 2 years. But we like it so far.)
Fine Motor & Thinking Skills: HOD - LHFHG (using "Do it Carefully" & "Finding the Answers" workbooks from Rod and Staff)
Handwriting: Getty/Dubay Italic Book A (I had a really hard time deciding on this one. Still not sure we're 100% happy with it but we'll stick with it for now)
Math: Horizons K (HOD reccomends Singapore but Horizons is a better fit for us)
Geography: A bunch of different resources - mostly free online stuff and something I can't remember the name of right now.
Bible: HOD - LHFHG (using Devotions for the Children's Hour & Hide 'em in your Heart CD's), Agapeland, and a bunch of our own things.
Health: Horizons K (I don't think this one was necessary. I may sell it.)

"PE" and art are basically whatever activities my mother's helper or my husband come up with.

We're also doing music and French for both of them but we don't use a formal curriculum for either. I'm just teaching them the same way my mother taught me.

Wow! It looks like a lot written out like this. Can you believe we get it all done in less than 2 hours a day?
~Mother of Miracles

August 8th, 2012, 05:46 PM
bookworm16_2000's Avatar Mom to Allison and JR
It's awesome to see what everyone is using! I'm creating my own preschool curriculum because Allison is so young. We're only doing 3 subjects, Language Arts, Math, and handwriting. We will also be doing PE with our homeschool group. I don't start Social Studies and Science until first grade.

Language Arts: DLTK's Alphabuddies/Letter of the Week, Dolch sight words, and daily reading from our book collection
Math: tlsbooks.com worksheets, daily calendar, and counting how many days we've been in school
Handwriting: Donna Young's handwriting practice

Thanks to Claire1979 for the terrific siggy!

My Blog
August 9th, 2012, 06:25 AM
ady's mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ady attends Laurel Springs. It's a private cyber school. They use Singapore Math (which we love!) and reading, writing, spelling, social studies is reading stories and responding to them. She is learning science through experiments and responding to them with writing or drawings. There are not a lot of workbooks, which I really like. There is a handwriting workbook and a problem solving workbook that she likes. She is learning french through Rosetta Stone homeschool edition. As Ady gets older they start doing a few classes online and eventually they do all classes online with several teachers.

http://adyandme.blogspot.com/
August 9th, 2012, 06:36 AM
Regular
My daughter Emelie is a 6th grader and I homeschooled her for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th grade through Seton Home Study. I placed her in a local private christian school and it ended up being mostly a review of her homeschool 4th grade year. I supplemented her private school work with additional work at home, so she did advance in some areas. She had a 5th grade teacher that was more about fun than actual school work. I'm back to homeschooling Emelie. I decided to place together my own curriculum this year, and I'm using mainly Seton Books. I was very happy with the Seton curriculum but wanted more freedom of choice.

Engish/Language: Seton English 6
Math: Saxon Math 7/6
Spelling: Seton Spelling 7
Vocabulary: Seton Vocabulary 6
Reading: Seton Reading 6 comprehension and Seton Reading 6 Thinking Skills, plus several books for book reports.
Latin: Rosetta Stone Latin 1
History: European History, I'm putting this together on my own
Social Studies: Instructional Fair U.S. Government
Science: Mark Twain Media, Introducing Physical Science.
Art: No book, crafts, and visits to art museums.
Music: Guitar Lessons
Physical Education: Gymnastics and Distance Running

Our school year will start on 20 August.
August 25th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Rochelle
For 4th grader:

Bible- Bible and maybe the kid's Bibles. Probably starting out doing Bible Sundays for
now bc DD1 expressed interest in doing so.
English- Spectrum, Great Grammar Mini-books, Language skills K12
Spelling/Vocab- Blacklines, Spectrum
Math- Mastering Math, Two plus two is not five, K12, Fractions
Handwriting- On the Mark (cursive)
Writing- Let's learn to write, Spectrum, Writing Poems, Daily Journal Jar prompts
Reading- Heidi, What is the constitution, Suzanne Tate's Nature Series, Spectrum, Literature K12
Science- Harcourt- Earth Space, Childcraft World and Space, Wonder Stories, K12
Social Studies- Spectrum (Geography), Fresh and Fun Calendar Activities, History K12
Critical thinking- Primary Analogies
Art- September Patterns and Projects
Music- undecided
PE- Trampoline, playing outside, Hiking

For Kindergartener:

Bible- Same as above
Letters- The Mailbox- Letters for little learners, Letter Dot-to-dot, Fun with the Alphabet, Flash cards, Scholar Power
Numbers- The Mailbox- Mix and Match games,Flash cards, Scholar Power
Writing- Scholar Power, Little writers
Reading- SRA Takehomes, Readers
Shapes- Shapes Workbook, Scholar Power
Colors- Scholar Power
Science- Harcourt- Earth Space, Childcraft World and Space
Social Studies- Fresh and Fun Calendar Activities
Art- September Patterns and Projects, etc
Music- undecided
PE- Trampoline, playing outside, Hiking

I'm sure I'll be adding to this throughout the year.

Last edited by 4hearts; August 26th, 2012 at 08:59 AM.
August 26th, 2012, 08:03 AM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
For the 5th grader:
SOS for science, language arts, and history
Math Mammoth for well you know math lol.
Nonfiction Reading Comprehension
A Bible History
Sign language
All About Spelling
A geography course I put together.
Latin Word Roots
I Can Do All Things for art
PE is whatever at this point, waiting to see what comes out of a swim/gym at a kids club.

For the 3rd grader:
SOS for Bible, Language Arts, Science, and History
Nonfiction Reading Comprehension
Math Mammoth
All About Spelling
Sign language
A geography program I made
Latin Word Roots
I Can Do All Things for art
PE is whatever

For K:
Does various math projects I make up for her