Classroom opportunities?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 6th, 2012, 07:40 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
One of the arguments people often make against homeschooling is that kids don't learn how to function in a group setting. I don't think that's true, but I'm curious what sort of groups are represented here. Are your kids in (or will they be in) any groups that require joint efforts for a task, raising hands, waiting until a break point to go to the restroom, etc?
August 6th, 2012, 10:13 PM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
My kids deal with those things twice a week for church. I am not worried about it. Also, for the first time, we are joining another co-op and will be taking Friday classes

August 7th, 2012, 04:46 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
They do that in church. None of them have ever had an issue.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

August 7th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
my kids are still a little young for that but we plan to put them in sports and other activities when they are school aged But thats not something im really worried about, im sure there will be plenty of opportunities for them to be out in a group setting in our day to day lives

also i think we will probably send them to a day camp at least once during each summer so i guess that would be pretty much the same as being in a classroom, as far as waiting, asking to use the restroom ect

August 7th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Mine do church classes on a regular basis, but have also done co-op classes, summer camps, sports, and library activities.
August 7th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Super Mommy
Before we moved the kids were in a couple of organized playgroup type programs during the week at church in addition to Sunday school. It was really just childcare for things that I was doing but the caregivers did an awesome job of having a routine and teaching bible lessons and other preschool skills to the kids. I miss that.
As they get older I'm sure they'll be involved in sports and church activities that will give them plenty of group interaction. Plus library story time, community center classes and maybe a homeschool co-op.
~Mother of Miracles

August 7th, 2012, 07:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'll be the odd one out and say that I have found that to be true. Homeschooling is very common here, so I've gotten to meet lots of homeschool families just being out and about. I was surprised by the number of kids who were elementary school aged and had no clue how to act in a group. Like there were these two sisters who came to story time at the library each week this past year. It was for preschoolers, but they really didn't mind kids of any age. Anyway, these two were like five and seven. And they answered every question before any of the actual preschool kids got to speak, spoke over the librarian, and talked non-stop. Their mom would sit there and smile at the smart things they had to say. It was like none of them, not even the mom, could see they were ruining storytime for the other 15 kids. I've also coached soccer and taught Sunday school here, and run into the same things. It's not that the kids are bad, it's that no one has ever made them wait. Every thought they have is super important and needs to be shared right then, and they have no concept of listening to an adult who is not their parent. Even little things, like the kids just getting up to leave to use the bathroom without saying anything. Of course they are welcome to use the restroom, but if I am their teacher in a group setting they need to tell me where they are going so I can keep track of them. I could easily pick out the kids on my team who had not been in school, and I turned out to be exactly right. Even at the homeschool co-op meeting I went to, this subject came up, and most of the moms admitted their kids lacked these "group" skills. To them it was just a big joke though....why does it matter if a six year old knows how to wait in a line? It doesn't matter if you homeschool and stay home all the time. It matters a lot when you stick this same six year old in a group setting like church where they are the only ones running around the room unable to wait for their turn.

Now, no one throw things at me! This is of course not all homeschooled kids by any stretch, but it something I've run into since we moved here. To me it does matter that my kids have the skills needed to be a part of a group and listen respectfully to other adult (and kids.) They get plenty of chances to practice I think. Sports, classes at local museums, church activities, book club, and so on.
August 8th, 2012, 07:34 AM
Veteran
We get a lot of practice at these things (granted, hand raising is not frequently practiced at home) just being together because I expect orderly, respectful behavior even at home. They get practice doing it with other adults and children at church each week (hand raising included).
August 8th, 2012, 08:00 AM
ady's mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by clouise View Post
I'll be the odd one out and say that I have found that to be true. Homeschooling is very common here, so I've gotten to meet lots of homeschool families just being out and about. I was surprised by the number of kids who were elementary school aged and had no clue how to act in a group. Like there were these two sisters who came to story time at the library each week this past year. It was for preschoolers, but they really didn't mind kids of any age. Anyway, these two were like five and seven. And they answered every question before any of the actual preschool kids got to speak, spoke over the librarian, and talked non-stop. Their mom would sit there and smile at the smart things they had to say. It was like none of them, not even the mom, could see they were ruining storytime for the other 15 kids. I've also coached soccer and taught Sunday school here, and run into the same things. It's not that the kids are bad, it's that no one has ever made them wait. Every thought they have is super important and needs to be shared right then, and they have no concept of listening to an adult who is not their parent. Even little things, like the kids just getting up to leave to use the bathroom without saying anything. Of course they are welcome to use the restroom, but if I am their teacher in a group setting they need to tell me where they are going so I can keep track of them. I could easily pick out the kids on my team who had not been in school, and I turned out to be exactly right. Even at the homeschool co-op meeting I went to, this subject came up, and most of the moms admitted their kids lacked these "group" skills. To them it was just a big joke though....why does it matter if a six year old knows how to wait in a line? It doesn't matter if you homeschool and stay home all the time. It matters a lot when you stick this same six year old in a group setting like church where they are the only ones running around the room unable to wait for their turn.

Now, no one throw things at me! This is of course not all homeschooled kids by any stretch, but it something I've run into since we moved here. To me it does matter that my kids have the skills needed to be a part of a group and listen respectfully to other adult (and kids.) They get plenty of chances to practice I think. Sports, classes at local museums, church activities, book club, and so on.
I use to teach public school and I have to agree with you. I have had kids come to my classroom after being homeschooled for years and they did have a hard time remembering how to raise their hand or get in line. But, they were also very polite and learned quickly. As long as kids are respectful enough to know to wait and take turns, who cares if they raise their hand or not? Another thing they had a hard time with was sticking to an assignment to finish it in the allotted time allowed. That concerns me more than the socialization. I think most kids socialize more outside of school than in school, really. The only time kids really get to socialize is recess. And most schools now only have one 15 minute recess a day. Socialization does not happen in the classroom. Learning to work with others and listening to adults does happen in the classroom. But that can also happen if your child plays sports or takes classes.

Ady does dance, art classes, sports, and lots of other activities that put her with other kids. She does do some classes at the local elementary school because it is important to me that she has some school experience. Mainly because school is something that all kids have in common and I don't want her to feel left out. She is going for music and computers next year. She also goes on field trips and goes to the classroom parties. But, I don't know that we will worry about that as she gets older. After next year she will be switching from the primary school to the elementary school and I think we may not send her to school for anything. When she gets to middle or high school she can go for sports if she wants to. Or maybe a science or math class. But I will leave that up to her more.

http://adyandme.blogspot.com/
August 8th, 2012, 01:03 PM
I absolutely agree with you about some kids NOT learning these basics. Soooo true. But like a lot of things, I think a handful of kids give the rest of the HS'ing community a bad reputation. I don't think that's the norm, but it certainly happens!
August 8th, 2012, 04:01 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
My kids attend Sunday School/VBS, the oldest is in dance, and both play soccer. So far we haven't had any issues with them being disrespectful/not listening, but it's something that we feel is very important and teach at home and in public.
August 8th, 2012, 06:02 PM
bookworm16_2000's Avatar Mom to Allison and JR
Allison is quite young (only 2.5) but we do church/Sunday School, library storytime, and playgroups. This year we are adding MOPS and a co-op PE class so she gets used to not always having Mommy as the teacher. As she gets older we are also adding sports (at least try it for a year), 4-H, and Girl Scouts. She already knows to raise her hand, wait to use the restroom, don't interrupt, and getting along with others/sharing from her activities.

As a former teacher, I was determined that she was going to get these skills. I spent a large part of my teaching days teaching social interaction skills, not academics!

Thanks to Claire1979 for the terrific siggy!

My Blog

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search