Kindergarten Math- where to go next?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 8th, 2012, 04:05 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
Alyssa can count to 30, recognize and write to 20, knows simple patterns, number order, ordinal numbers, and we're almost finished greater than-less than. She's becoming quite the little math whiz, but I'm not sure where to go next? Should I move on to addition, or would things like time to the hour or money be easier for her to learn first?
August 8th, 2012, 06:12 PM
bookworm16_2000's Avatar Mom to Allison and JR
I'd move into addition, subtraction, fact families, and skip counting. I remember money and telling time was in second grade Saxon so there's plenty of time to get to those

Thanks to Claire1979 for the terrific siggy!

My Blog
August 8th, 2012, 07:41 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Yes, time and money might be introduced in K-1st, but they're usually not the focus until around age 8 (2nd-3rd). I'd move on to addition and subtraction facts up to 10 (making 4 facts per family... like 2+1=3 ... 1+2=3 ... 3-1=2 ... 3-2=1) and skip counting by 2's, 5's, and 10's. If you want to teach time, I'd do only :00 and :30, and if you want to teach money, I'd teach only recognition of coins, not values.
August 9th, 2012, 12:25 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
That's kind of where I was leaning too, thanks! One more question, how did you teach skip counting? Were there certain activities that really seemed to help your children?
August 9th, 2012, 04:08 PM
bookworm16_2000's Avatar Mom to Allison and JR
A number line or number grid is a great way to teach skip counting, counting with objects (money, buttons, counters, candy, blocks...), for twos you can jump, for 5's hands and feet, but the easiest is just writing it out and repeating it.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the terrific siggy!

My Blog
August 10th, 2012, 05:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Skip counting is easy to learn if you just add it your routine. If you do a circle time or calendar time do it then. Two minutes a day and she'll have it down in no time. You could do more complicated patterns and start addition and subtraction (I'd use manipulatives.) If she doesn't know the value of coins, you could at least start with that and lay a foundation for later.

I taught this to my kids when they were 4 or 5, and they still sing it today if they forget:

A penny is one cent, a penny is one cent
A nickel is five, a nickel is five
A dime is ten pennies, a dime is ten pennies
A quarter twenty-five, a quarter twenty-five.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search