New here

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 9th, 2012, 05:29 PM
PrettyMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hello, I am not new to the forum but I am new to this thread. My name is Kesha and I am the mom of 4 and stepmom to one. I am a SAHM and for that reason I want to homeschool our younger children. My oldest was forced to go to traditional school because I was a single parent and had to work. Since remarrying and having 3 new children I want to do things different with them and be more in control of their education. Our daughter isn't starting school until next year but I want to learn all I can and try to be prepared to homeschool her when the time comes. Any advice or insight on what to expect would be great. Have you guys all found it very beneficial for your little ones to homeschool? Everyone I know is against it but from my research it seems to actually be good for children. Thanks and hoping to get to know you all!

August 9th, 2012, 07:31 PM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
welcome to the board

August 10th, 2012, 05:17 AM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
welcome!

August 10th, 2012, 05:21 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
People also thought the world was flat, and they were against anyone sailing very far away. Ignore them!

Homeschooling has been absolutely the best decision we've ever made for our kids, and as we have a little bit of a unique situation, I have several doctors backing me up on that decision as well.

The first thing you need to do is look at the laws in your state. http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/Nevada.pdf I didn't read through the whole thing, but at first glance, it looks like NV is a very easy homeschooling state, and you won't even have to officially notify them until your child is 7. Looks like there is also no testing, so you can teach whatever you want.

For most newbies, the most overwhelming thing is choosing a curriculum, because there are SO many options, styles, price points, secular/religious variations, etc. Don't worry, we'll walk you through all that. Try not to feel overwhelmed.

WELCOME!!
August 10th, 2012, 03:01 PM
bookworm16_2000's Avatar Mom to Allison and JR
Welcome! Where in Nevada are you from? I was born in Reno and still have lots of family there- it's a very interesting state.

I'm a new homeschooler (only doing preschool) but we love it. It makes me happy to be the one in charge of my daughter's education- not the school, who sees nothing but dollar signs for children.

Feel free to ask lots of questions from these wonderful ladies. They are willing to help in any way they can!

Thanks to Claire1979 for the terrific siggy!

My Blog
August 10th, 2012, 03:36 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
Welcome!
August 12th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Super Mommy
Hi Kesha. Welcome to the board.

I just started homeschooling a few weeks ago and I definitely feel like the hardest part about getting started was choosing a curriculum. We finally settled on one (well, really two) and I'm happy with it for the most part but I still have some doubts.
One of the great things about homeschooling though, is that if something's not working for your family, you can change it. There's no one telling you that you have to teach something a certain way. Just in these first few weeks I've already made a few adjustments.

Glad you're here. Looking forward to getting to know you better.
~Mother of Miracles

August 14th, 2012, 02:17 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
Welcome to the board!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search