Speaking of classroom opportunities...

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 12th, 2012, 07:37 AM
ady's mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I responded to the post by BensMom that Ady attends the local elementary school for some classes, parties, and field trips. I feel like this is a great way for her to be schooled at home, yet still have the classroom experiences that most kids share. Well, the school called me on Friday and the principal explained that they are allowing homeschool kids to attend special classes but no classroom activities. No parties, assemblies, or field trips. I am a little upset because before we moved to this town in January I called all the school districts within driving distance of DHs job and this was one that seemed to be very accepting of homeschool kids. I personally don't think she learns much from attending the special classes. But I did want her in the classroom because I want her to have some shared experiences with other kids her age. I have a terrible fear that she is going to look back on her childhood and feel like she missed out on something because she didn't have school in a classroom. Remember, too, that I use to teach public school. I have fond memories of teaching and want Ady to have fond memories of school. She loves being homeschooled and did public school for kindergarten and the beginning of first grade. Last year she did some special classes and other activities at school. She does not want to go back to public school full time but she was sad when I told her that she could not go to school any more. I feel like I am rambling here, but the main point is that DH and I decided we are not going to send her at all next year. She will just be homeschooled. She takes art classes, has piano lessons, plays sports, we attend library story time so I don't feel like she will be missing out on anything academically. I just worry so much that she is going to miss the social part of school. Is this something that you all worry about? School is such an important part of growing up, I don't want her to miss out on those memories. Am I worrying too much?

http://adyandme.blogspot.com/
August 12th, 2012, 08:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Is there a co-op you can join? I think it would be a little strange to attend parties and field trips with kids she didn't know anyway. Maybe a co-op would allow her to meet friends and then do those fun extra things with her.

It sounds like she already has plenty on her plate though, if you don't want to add anything else.

As far as her "missing out" I wouldn't worry too much. It sounds like you are in a nice district, but in many places all those fun things we remember are gone anyway. Most places won't let you bring in sweets...allergies. Others don't want any food brought in at all. Holidays are always iffy, as we don't want to offend anyone. If your lucky you might get some kind of "winter" or "holiday" party...certainly no Halloween or Christmas parties. And finally, my kids took no field trips at all this past year....zero. Budget issues I'm sure.
August 12th, 2012, 10:56 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I don't feel my kids are missing out on anything... in fact, quite the opposite. I think PS kids are missing out on all the things (even socially) that my kids get to do.

You can also look into a university model homeschool. It's like going to school, except you only go a couple days a week and do homework assignments at home the other days. They have all the same things you're mentioning... ice cream socials, sports, talent shows, etc.
August 12th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Don't worry. It's an unusual school district that lets homeschooled kids do things at the schools. It is completely prohibited here.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

August 12th, 2012, 11:43 AM
I know I shouldn't worry but we came from a great town in WI that was very open to letting Ady attend classes at the school she started attending in first grade anyway. Then when we moved here we wanted to continue that so we found a district that allows that. They do have parties for most holidays and they are allowed to bring treats (unlike her school in WI which had a no sweets at holiday parties rule. Makes no sense to me!) and she had a lot of fun at the parties she went to last year. She went on two trips with them. I know she will go on more trips with me out of school than in school and I actually started a homeschool group here in town (wondering if that is why the school is giving Ady a hard time) so we will have plenty of kids for Ady to interact with. We don't do a co-op here but I don't feel the need for one. I just worry Ady will miss out on school and hate me for it some day! There aren't any private schools or universities close to us, I have looked into that, so the public school is really her only option here.

August 12th, 2012, 01:10 PM
Super Mommy
I'd be lying if I said I've never worried about these things for my kids. I do understand where you're coming from.

BUT... when I really started praying and researching on public school vs. homeschooling and actually looked at our options, I realized that what Clouise said is very true. In most schools these days, all the fun things you want Ady to be involved in aren't available at all. A lot of the elementary schools around us don't have art or music or PE or recess, and you can forget about field trips or class parties. It seems to me, the districts you found near you are the exception to the rule now.

What's left of the shared experiences of public school kids are things like stressing out over standardized tests, complaining about too much homework and disgusting school lunches, worrying about fiting in with the popular crowd, etc, etc... Something tells me she won't hate you at all for missing out on those things.

It sounds like you're doing an excelent job of providing Ady with all the social interaction and fun experiences she needs to make friends and be a happy, well adjusted child. I'm sure she's going to thank you one day for what an amazing mom and teacher you are!

You said you started a homeschool group but it's not a co-op. I'm a little confused. How exactly does it work? Could this be the way that she gets the social experiences you're hoping for? If not, have you looked into the churches and community centers in your area? I've discovered that some of them have programs that are sort of like the university model that Chrystal was talking about. I haven't found one near me yet but I'm still looking.
~Mother of Miracles

August 12th, 2012, 01:51 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Quote:
Originally Posted by aect-mama View Post
You said you started a homeschool group but it's not a co-op. I'm a little confused. How exactly does it work?
There are tons of groups around here... birth to high school... for all sorts of reasons non-academic like co-ops. We have park day groups, Lego groups, field trip groups, etc.
August 12th, 2012, 05:27 PM
There are a couple of co-ops around here but one is not very welcoming of new members and one is just too far for me to travel twice a week. I don't really feel like Ady needs a co-op since she gets plenty of group interaction. So I started a new group. We just forming, but we are about 30 families strong. We get together for field trips, play dates, holiday parties, library story time, and stuff like that.

I have been thinking and I guess to sum up my concern, I have some guilt about whether I am making the right decision with homeschooling. I know I am a capable teacher and I love being with Ady all day. I would have even more guilt if I sent Ady to school all day and expected someone else to teach her. I loved teaching and expected Ady to love and flourish at school. When that didn't happen we decided to homeschool. But am I really doing what is best for her or am I just being selfish? Mom Guilt, I guess. Do we ever really know we are making the right choices for our kids? And with school just around the corner, I am missing going back to work! I would never trade the opportunity of being home with Ady for a job in a classroom, but I still feel some guilt.

August 12th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
No, I get it. I always wonder if I am doing the right thing for my kids too. We could move an hour away and send our kids to great schools...and then they'd have two hours less with their Dad each day. There are so many choices. I guess all we can do is weigh the options, make a decision, and then move forward.
August 12th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by clouise View Post
No, I get it. I always wonder if I am doing the right thing for my kids too. We could move an hour away and send our kids to great schools...and then they'd have two hours less with their Dad each day. There are so many choices. I guess all we can do is weigh the options, make a decision, and then move forward.
Yes! DH and I were just talking about that! We could move so Ady could attend a private school but we would have to move an hour away and Dh would have to travel over a mountain pass in the winter to get to work. And, honestly, I know there would be issues with the school that we would still have issues with. I know this is the right choice, but the Mom Guilt is getting the best of me. I really appreciate having you other homeschool moms to chat with!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search