Hello

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 13th, 2012, 08:05 AM
challowell's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Since it looks like my local school will not let my daughter in I guess you all will be seeing me more. I'm Christina and my two daughters are Rachel,4 but turns 5 Sept.6 and jamie who is 3. Rachel can already count to 10 in english, spanish, Japanese, and Mandarin chinese. She is a very fast learner and can already read 32 words and can do some simple math. We have got her to count to 50 at one point. She loves science and is really into growing plants right now. I have concerns about home schooling due to me working night shift full time and have one child with neurological eye problems and making sure she don't hurt herself takes up a lot of my time.

I have a few questions that I wanted to know. Is it really hard to keep up with the work. Is the kids actually learning at their pace or is it like a set pace? If she is not challanged how do you know what to do next? Does home schooling affect them if they transfer into a school later on? What is the hardest part of homeschooling? Does it get easier as they get older.
August 13th, 2012, 10:18 AM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi and welcome! Will they not let her in solely because of her age? That's silly to me, my Dh started school at 4 but turned 5 a week or two later. I think they tested him (they tested every kindergartener going in too) to see if he was the same level as the other kids and off he went.

To answer your questions I think it all depends how you go about. Yes, they will learn at their own pace but I have seen some parents push their children who naturally learn at a slower pace and that isn't very helpful. It sounds to me like you won't have that problem with your Dd though. When my Dd isn't being challenged enough I try to take the topic we are currently learning (so that we stay on set) and we just go deeper into it. For example if we were learning about gardening and my Dd got bored I would challenge her to learn the parts of a plant. Even though she is four she can still learn it, it just might take her longer. I also look on pinterest and stuff for projects that relate to what we are learning. As for transferring to a school I think it depends, *most* schools I know of test incoming homeschoolers to make sure what level they are on and place them accordingly.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

August 13th, 2012, 10:24 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I already know you from the TAG board! Welcome!

Quote:
Is it really hard to keep up with the work.
No... especially at the elementary level.

Quote:
Is the kids actually learning at their pace or is it like a set pace?
Depends how you want to do it, but even with PS, kids will always learn at their own pace. You can't hold back a child who is thirsty for more, and you can't force a child to learn something they're not ready to learn. As you already know, the things you mentioned are pretty typical of 4 year olds, but because I know you from the TAG board, I know she's doing more than that and is eager to learn. An eager learner can out-pace a lazy smart kid any day! I think she'll be the one setting the pace, and it'll probably be faster than you're ready for.

Quote:
If she is not challanged how do you know what to do next?
Ask her. (Really!)

Quote:
Does home schooling affect them if they transfer into a school later on?
Depends on the school and how far ahead/behind you might be from what they're learning.

Quote:
What is the hardest part of homeschooling?
Depends on who you ask, really. For us, it's finding enough hours in the day to do all the things they want to do... but you get that in PS, too.

Quote:
Does it get easier as they get older.
It doesn't get harder or easier... it just gets different.

Last edited by BensMom; August 13th, 2012 at 10:28 AM.
August 13th, 2012, 10:38 AM
challowell's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Hi and welcome! Will they not let her in solely because of her age? That's silly to me, my Dh started school at 4 but turned 5 a week or two later. I think they tested him (they tested every kindergartener going in too) to see if he was the same level as the other kids and off he went.

They said she is too imature but the truth of it is they got 100 kindergartners this year and are trying to weed out as many as possible to keep from having to hire extra teachers this year. Several moms with kids around Rachel's age(birthdates after May) have all been asked to keep their kids home due to Maturity. It has been a fight and Rachel is more mature than most kids her age. Her only little quirk is she talks to everyone. She knows no strangers and we have been working on that. They have to state test the "teachers" for kindergarten they just hired and the 2 that have been there for years one has been sick and the other tried to retire this year but could not due to there really being no one to replace her. It is just a rough position all around
August 13th, 2012, 12:47 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I have to think she'll get a better education at home if they're so strapped for teachers that they're turning kids away. Seems like the teachers don't really want to be there, perhaps, too?
August 13th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Super Mommy
Welcome.

We're in a similar spot. My DD is only 4 1/2 but clearly ready for kindergarten. The schools here won't even consider letting her in this early so we're homeschooling. To be honest there are a lot of other reasons why we're homeschooling but that's a big one.

We're only a few weeks in so I can't answer all your questions but I think for me the hardest part so far was choosing a curriculum. Once I figured out what and how I wanted to teach her, the rest was easy. The curriculum we chose is very flexible so it's easy to speed things up or slow down and supplement with other things depending on what she needs in any given subject.

It's not at all hard to keep up with the work. We cover all the major subjects in less than 2 hours a day. We don't get to every subject every day but over the course of a week we cover everything. (I'm pretty sure the same would be true in PS but the days would be at least twice as long and maybe they wouldn't get as much depth)

One of the things I love most about homeschooling is it's flexibility. We don't have to follow a set schedule. Some days we work for 2 hours straight and just get everything done all at once. Some days we work for 10 minutes, take a break for an hour, come back to it for 20 minutes, etc. etc. Plus, in our case, we can do almost everything from bed. For us this is important because I'm stuck on bed rest but for someone else it might be a bonus to be able to pick everything up and go study in the park for a day or whatever. I would think this flexibility would come in especially handy with your work schedule. You can decide what works best for your family. You're not locked into the hours of 9 a.m. - 3 p.m. KWIM?

Ok I've rambled enough. Glad you're here and good luck.
~Mother of Miracles

August 13th, 2012, 05:58 PM
ady's mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome! I am Junett and I homeschool our daughter, Adalyn, who is turning 7 and starting second grade soon. I taught elementary school for ten years before we decided to homeschool. One reason we decide to was because it was so frustrating to know that the school thought they knew what my daughter needed more than I did. If I asked them to give her more challenging work I was paranoid and pushy. Ady started kindergarten at 4 just weeks before turning 5 and she was still bored with the work. First grade was even worse. A few months into first grade was when we pulled her out of school and I quit my own job to keep her home. She loves it and I love it! It's hard keeping her challenged, but at least now I know that she is challenged.

The curriculum was easy for me as a teacher. The time management is what I struggle with the most. I always want to rush her along and cram too much into the day. I am learning to let her guide the time and topics a little more. One thing that I love about homeschooling is that learning is part of our whole life but I find myself separating home from school. It's just habit, I guess. I can't help making it "school" but that kind of defeats the purpose of keeping her home.

http://adyandme.blogspot.com/
August 13th, 2012, 10:08 PM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
welcome! I have nothing else to add as the other ladies did an excellent job

August 14th, 2012, 07:42 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
Welcome! I don't have anything to add either, but just wanted to welcome you to the board!
August 14th, 2012, 09:52 AM
MountainMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MountainMomma
I don't have anything to add, but I wanted to welcome you to the group.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my new siggy!

Click on my blinkies to tour some of my favorite boards!
August 14th, 2012, 02:13 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
I think everyone has it covered but I do want to welcome you to the board!!
August 14th, 2012, 05:12 PM
bookworm16_2000's Avatar Mom to Allison and JR
I just wanted to add my welcome too! The other ladies have given you a great insight into homeschooling life and seeing as this is our first year, I don't have much to add

Thanks to Claire1979 for the terrific siggy!

My Blog

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search