Websites

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By SEAmama
  • 1 Post By BensMom
  • 1 Post By christianmommato3

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 16th, 2012, 08:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I ordered Time4Learning for the kids, it worked great for a few days, and then that was it. There weren't any arrows for the kids to click from page one to the next page, and so they couldn't do the work. I e-mailed them and they sent me some wordy reponse back that really wasn't much help. I'm not really willing to do a ton of troubleshooting or downloading to make it work. For $45 a month I think it should just work. There's nothing wrong with my computer...we use all kinds of other programs with no issues. I then called them and that didn't help either...they just cancelled the program and gave us our money back. That's better than nothing I guess, but we liked Time4Learning and wanted to use it.

Is there anything similar out there? I don't mind paying, and I would prefer it was one program for both math and language arts.
August 16th, 2012, 09:47 AM
SEAmama's Avatar Veteran
I'm new here but I thought I'd drop a note to add my 2 cents. I've used Time4Learning when I was homeschooling 2 girls I worked for a couple years ago. I found the program to be GREAT! It's definitely not the end-all-be-all for curriculum. I used it to supplement what I was already doing, but it was awesome for the kids. And I love how I could go in and check they're progress.
IMHO, it's totally worth figuring out how to make it work.
alittlelost likes this.

August 16th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Here is the e-mail they sent me. All I could think was "Are you serious?" They need to fix the glitch in their program. If in fact my kids did "break it" by clicking on a non-functioning parrot, I'm sure my six year old will just do it again after I go through all this stuff. I did download firefox, but that didn't help.

Hi Claire,

Thank you for contacting us.

It sounds like your student may have clicked on a speaker icon in the lesson.That speaker button on the lessons, when clicked, automatically downloads a text to speech reader called Peedy the parrot.

Unfortunately that text to speech reader no longer works with today's current technology. It can cause the lessons to pause or freeze. Since we lease the program from a company called Compass Learning, we cannot remove that speaker button, or make any immediate changes to the lessons. We have requested that it be removed to avoid the issues that you are having for future members. Hopefully, it will be resolved soon.

In the mean time, there are few things that you can do to remedy all of the issues that you are experiencing.

Our first suggestion, is to update to the Mozilla Firefox browser. Below are instructions on where and how to download Firefox.

Click here to download Firefox.

On the download page, choose the download version under English (US) and Windows.

After you have downloaded Firefox, you will need to turn off the automatic updates for Firefox. To do this, open a browser window and click on Options, select Advanced, click on the Update tab, clear the checkboxes under Automatically check for updates to: Firefox, Installed Add-ons and Search Engines, and finally click OK.

You can now use Firefox as your browser when you are logging onto Time4Learning. This step will prevent your lessons from freezing.

Second, You will need to add trusted sites in the Firefox browser.

In Firefox, from your browser window select “Tools”.

• Under Options select “Privacy”.

• Under cookies select “Exceptions”.

• Please add these sites and allow them:

Homeschool, Afterschool, Summer Study - Time4Learning

www.thelearningodyssey.com

www.compasslearningodyssey.com

New Home Schooling - Home Page

New Homeschool Info

www.homeschool-website.com

Time4Learning

You can also choose Content and under Block pop-up windows select "Exceptions" and add the same sites.

While still in Content under Load images automatically select "Exceptions" and add the same sites there.

This step will prevent the Oddyssey Screen from popping up.

Finally, we can recommend Natural Readers. It is an alternate text-to-speech recognition program. It works like Peedy the Parrot but actually reads ALL online text, not just certain sections – even emails. If it can be highlighted, Natural Readers can convert it to speech. It is a different program than Time4Learning, but it is compatible with our lessons. Natural Readers offers support through their own website.

To download Natural Readers, visit our Text-to-Speech reader hints page and click the download option.

To get started using your Natural Reader, follow the instructions below:

1. Select the start option from the bottom of your menu screen.

2. Select All Programs

3. Select Natural Soft Programs

4. Select Free Natural Readers

5. Select Free NaturalReader 10 (the icon will be a blue box with a lightning bolt)

6. Here you will find a description of your natural reader software

7. Select the "Go to Miniboard" (this will put your command board in the upper right hand corner of your screen. It will also put an icon in the bottom left hand corner of your menu bar for easier access.

8. Open the activity you want read and select the play option.

Last edited by clouise; August 16th, 2012 at 10:10 AM.
August 16th, 2012, 10:57 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
It's just math, but I'd highly recommend www.IXL.com. If you get it, go through Homeschool Buyer's Co-op for a discount. I like that it tracks each child separately and each child has the option of working from PreK thru 9th Algebra, so if one is ahead or struggling on a particular skill, it's not a problem to "fill in the gaps". Actually, gaps are the reason I started using IXL, but now I'm sticking with it. I don't use it for primary instruction on something that is totally new, but for something familiar that is just building in complexity or skill level, it guides the student through and tells them why they've messed up if they make a mistake.

For LA (or any subject, really), this is free: Sheppard's Software. You have to be careful not to click the (cleveryly disguised) google ads thinking they're part of the program, though. It's not curriculum or instructive, but it's a fun teaching/practicing tool.
clouise likes this.
August 16th, 2012, 05:54 PM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
I haven't tried it, but several people from another homeschool group love abcmouse.com
clouise likes this.

October 11th, 2012, 06:55 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
we use abc mouse for preschool. I really love T4L and haven't had any problems. It's a shame you couldn't get it to work we did a lot of research and had our kids do lots of trials and T4L won out with them and us by a landslide.
October 12th, 2012, 04:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My computer and software are so dated. We are saving up and shopping around. Maybe once we get a new system we can try Time 4 Learning again. The kids really did like it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search