What would you do? (x-posted on another message board)

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 16th, 2012, 03:47 PM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We will be starting kindergarten with my Dd the first week in September and since we already have all of our curriculum I have been going through it and making lesson plans and such. We are planning on using HOP for language arts/reading through 2nd grade at least (because it was gifted to us) but because I am just now opening the sets I am just now finding out how few lessons there really are. I know in the level 1 of HOP kindy there are only 16 lessons and I assume there are about the same in level 2. That's roughly 32 lessons, and that's not a lot! Now we have already started Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons with her (only on lesson 15) and I am wondering if I should just finish up that and then start HOP afterward so we can keep the lessons going throughout the school year. Or should I just find another language arts curriculum? What would y'all do?

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

August 16th, 2012, 04:26 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I have a feeling that 100EZ and HOP will overlap quite a bit, so you may want to consider using them together. Teach the lesson from whichever you prefer, and then supplement with the other.

If you do one lesson per week, you'll still finish two years' worth in only one year, so I'd go ahead with what you have, seeing how the pace goes, but also be on the lookout for something else. I always try to use what I have, but I also always keep my eyes out for deep discounts on things I won't need for at least another year. I have several things I won't need for 3-4 years simply because they were purchased at a huge discount. Keep your eyes open at FREE Homeschool Curriculum and your local homeschool bulletin boards, and grab things when you see them. At least if you get something and end up not using it, you can say you bought it really cheap.
August 16th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Thanks Chrystal I will look into that. Your suggestion is actually like what someone suggested on another site, to do the 100EZ daily but do HOPs once a week.

August 17th, 2012, 06:20 AM
ady's mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I say she does what she has, then move her on to something else when she is done. That is the great thing about homeschooling! No need to spend time on something she already knows and understands, you can keep her challenged and keep moving forward.

http://adyandme.blogspot.com/
August 17th, 2012, 06:26 AM
Veteran
From a different perspective, it would never occur to me to schedule phonics/reading instruction in preplanned lessons as it only makes sense to me to go at the child's pace for a set period of time each day that is comfortable for the child. My son started K with HOP and made it through to the end of the 2nd grade in just a couple of months and spent the rest of the year reading any book he took interest in. It could have gone the other way where it just wasn't clicking and we could have still been working on finishing up the K box this year. I wouldn't be concerned about having enough lessons to fill a year or getting a certain number of lessons completed in a year, only that the child is progressing at their own pace.
August 17th, 2012, 06:36 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by ady's mommy View Post
I say she does what she has, then move her on to something else when she is done. That is the great thing about homeschooling! No need to spend time on something she already knows and understands, you can keep her challenged and keep moving forward.
Yeah .. that's what I was saying .. just less succinctly.
August 17th, 2012, 07:13 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Yes, I completely agree! I know some prefer to take a very laid-back approach and/or feel they don't have the resources to keep up with a quick learner, but generally speaking, I think children should learn at their own pace, even if it means finishing a curriculum in 2 months rather than 8.
August 17th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Thanks ladies that is another thing I was considering, but then I have another question, lol. Say she made it all the way through the 2nd grade HOPS this year, when I was buying next years curriculum would I buy a 3rd grade curriculum or keep it at 1st grade?

August 17th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Veteran
Once she's reading, you can just buy books for her to read or get them from the library. The library usually has many leveled readers to choose from for her to continue practicing her reading skills or perhaps she'll just want to pick up whatever book strikes her fancy. Have her read to you daily so she can practice fluency and you can point out any phonics issues that she may need to be reminded of or new, less common ones you can point out as she comes to them. Once she's reading, if she's also writing, you might want to add a little spelling and she could be strengthening her knowledge of phonics through that.

I don't think in terms of grades but in terms of skill and development and they can vary widely. The liberty of homeschooling is that you can work at your child's pace for each individual skill. Think more in terms of your child's growth and ability than in terms of a grade level and purchase your curriculum accordingly.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search