Toddlers/Preschoolers

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 22nd, 2012, 09:37 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
What are the little guys learning right now? Are you adding any formal instruction yet, or are you very relaxed at this stage?
August 22nd, 2012, 10:19 AM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
we are working on shapes and colours with Ross, he already knows his letters and numbers (up to 10) nothing formal yet though, i dont think we will start formally until atleast K/grade1

August 22nd, 2012, 10:41 AM
Eowyn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Caleb is working on knowing his alphabet -upper and lowercase. We are very relaxed about it.
He knows his shapes and counts well without any formal learning -just from playing.
We've known from before he was 2 that he was colorblind and we're starting to understand more fully how severe it is now that he is old enough to communicate better and it can be challenging to work around that while trying to teach him other things.

He has just started being able to write wobbly letters and learn to spell his name and is having a lot of fun with that.

He really enjoys helping with science projects with his big sister
And is learning a lot through just being present while she does her school work.

I really try to dedicate the earlier years to teaching good manners and behavior rather than focusing so much on academics while they are still in diapers.
August 22nd, 2012, 11:35 AM
bookworm16_2000's Avatar Mom to Allison and JR
Allison is doing a letter a week, we learn sight words that start with that letter, what sound it makes, how to write it, and read stories about things that start with that letter. It's quite relaxed and Allison driven- I wasn't ready to start homeschooling so early but she wanted to

She knows her numbers/counts to 20, colors, shapes, recognizes most of the alphabet (upper and lower case) from playing and reading books.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the terrific siggy!

My Blog
August 22nd, 2012, 11:57 AM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
Aidan (3) is learning letter sounds, a few letter combos, shapes, numbers to 20, early science: classification of animals, basic animal biology, etc, and early social studies (stuff about people in the community).

Liam (2) is learning letters, numbers to 10, and sometimes he hangs out for science and social studies stuff.

I don't do typical sit down lessons with them at this age. We might do that if they are interested in doing that (sometimes they see their sister doing it and want to do it too). I try to teach a lot through play at this age.

August 22nd, 2012, 12:37 PM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We started our Calvert lessons this week. She's been learning different relationships (in/out, before/after, left/right), listening to stories and drawing pictures based on them, and reviewing colors (which she already knows). We've been talking about the calendar and weather too. It's been fun so far!

August 22nd, 2012, 05:03 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
Rylan (3) just mastered numbers to 10, so we're working to 20. He's also learning to recognize letters and their sounds, and is active in our Bible lessons, as well as most of our science/social studies/health lessons. We weren't doing much formally, but he started asking for "school" when his sister was working.
August 22nd, 2012, 07:23 PM
Destiny
We're just working on talking and signing with Eliana, she has a therapist that comes over a few days a week to help me with it. She's really learned a lot in the last few months, she's finally ahead of Eli, vocabulary-wise.
Eli's still a baby, but we still have fun learning games to play.

August 22nd, 2012, 09:27 PM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
we are doing a review of what he knows for the past 2 weeks.
We have been working on tracing his name, colors, shapes, counting, practicing cutting while holding scissors properly, and learning how to follow directions.
We spend maybe 15-20 minutes a day. He knows the alphabet but can't identify them yet. He hasn't been interested in learning anything at all, and just in the past 2 months has really been ready to learn and be " in school"

August 23rd, 2012, 06:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We are doing Hooked on Phonics prek and Mathematical Reasoning 3yr old book right now. We are mostly trying to get letter recognition and letter sounds down. She also plays on starfall.com

7/24/12
10/09/12
August 23rd, 2012, 10:50 AM
alwayssmile's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
At least once a day I pull out paint, markers, or crayons. Amazing how much his fine motor skills have improved since doing this! We play a game I came up with a couple of times a day for learning body parts. And then we do puzzles, block building, or similar at some point every day. He's young, but I'm finding planning out a list of activities for the week helps me stay hands on and to keep things interesting. Like one week we might do salt dough play, balloons, a new park, bubble splash pool, and large button sorting. I tend to bore myself with the exact same stuff each week otherwise. lol

September 1st, 2012, 09:32 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We do a lot of "school." We do unit studies kind of. I'll pick a book from BFIAR and collect all my printables, art projects, science projects, extra books on the subject, etc and "row" the book until we're done.

Then the next week I'll pick a (generally science-y) topic and we'll do a unit study on that. We've done plants, insects and space so far.

We have a Spanish class we go to too as well as a really awesome preschool co op that meets once a week for two hours.

So we do a lot more sit down learning than some other kids her age, but I also am not worried to set it aside when life is crazy. Her life is full of enriching activities and she's only in preschool! There will come a time when we will have to say no to a lot of these social and educational (field trip) opportunities, because the less fun work will have to come first. Enjoy it while we can!

September 4th, 2012, 08:54 AM
noworries
Still very relaxed at this point (Isaac just turned 2). We are working on numbers and letters.
September 6th, 2012, 04:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm working with Carrie on letter sounds. She joins the older kids for calendar time and things like that too.

Katy is busy just being two.
September 8th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Puddles can count to twenty and recognise 1-10 so we are working on recognising 11-20. He is also learning his phonics. I really want to get the letterland books! Hes also working on fine motor skills with the usual colouring and bead threading!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search