Kindergarten Math recommendations

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 26th, 2012, 09:17 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
What is a great program for Kindergarten math? It doesn't really matter to me if it's daily plans, just a "text book", or what, I don't mind putting the time into planning it since I plan most of the rest of our curriculum anyway.
August 26th, 2012, 11:53 AM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am using Horizon Math for kindergarten and so far we are really liking it.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

August 26th, 2012, 08:05 PM
ady's mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ady went to public school for kindergarten and they used everyday Math. As a teacher and a parent I can suggest you don't use that. It's terrible. It never really teaches anything, it just reviews a bunch of things at the same time. And the algorithms that they use are different than any other math. They have their own way of teaching things, which makes it really hard to switch to a different curriculum later. We started homeschooling last year for first grade and we used Singapore Math. I loved that teaches the basics and it is really logical.

http://adyandme.blogspot.com/
August 26th, 2012, 09:15 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Yes, I'd also avoid "everyday math"! At the K level, there are a gazillion curricula options. You can really use whatever you want (or nothing at all), and start figuring out what learning style you'll want to use in the future. Some options:
  • Horizons - already mentioned, this is a rigorous/quick curriculum with a spiral approach... probably one of the top 2-3 most difficult options out there... good for kids who are naturals at math but prefer a workbook approach
  • Singapore - there are a couple of varieties of this that I'm not familiar with, but it's a very popular spiral choice and works well with kids who are naturally good with math
  • Rod & Staff - Very old school with tons and tons of practice built in, all one color, few pictures... it's a spiral approach that starts extremely simple/slow, but catches up after about 5th grade or so... begins at "1st grade", but it's really a K curriculum at first
  • Abeka - not quite as advanced as Horizons, but definitely one of the most challenging/fast-paced ones out there... colorful, workbook style, spiral
  • Life of Fred - completely different approach than most are used to... uses stories to teach math (and other random concepts)... great for kids who are naturals at math and/or who are visual learners... the drawback is that it doesn't have tons of practice built in like worksheets do, so you might need to add a free website practice or printable worksheets for one who doesn't pick up facts quickly
  • RightStart - Hands on math using a variety of the abacus... great for hands on or visual learners
  • Miquon - a hands on mastery approach that isn't graded... it's for approximately 1st to 3rd grades, but many K'ers can handle the orange workbook with no trouble... uses a colored rod system - if you like Miquon, but want an easier introduction to it, you can use this (free) http://www.nurturedbylove.ca/resourc...enairebook.pdf
  • IXL.com - a computer based math for Preschool thru early high school (more being added)... it teaches using a skill-by-skill approach, and children learn through making mistakes rather than by first hearing a lesson and then following it with practice problems
  • MEP - don't know much about this other than it's free, and that it's from the UK, so some of the money, etc. might need to be tweaked
  • CSMP - again... free, but I don't know much about it.
  • McRuffy - don't know much about this
  • Math Mammoth - others here use this, so I'll let them explain it
  • Khan Academy - Free videos
  • Saxon - spiral approach, teacher's manual is scripted, tons of practice built in... most people that I know don't like Saxon until about 4th grade or so (self included)... good curriculum for kids who aren't naturals at math and need plenty of instruction/practice

I'm sure I left some out. All the boxed curricula choices and complete computer-based choices also have math options. The choices are overwhelming at first.
August 27th, 2012, 06:03 AM
I was leaning towards Horizons, she is very good with math concepts and it seemed like the best fit for her. But then I found a copy of Spectrum grade 1 math (which for some reason covers everything that is covered in K in other curriculum I've looked at)- has anyone tried it?
August 27th, 2012, 06:45 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Spectrum is a great company. Those books are actually meant to be extra practice or gap-fillers rather than a complete curricula, though. The higher you get, the more you'll find missing in them. I've used them for reading and geography and loved them.
August 27th, 2012, 02:40 PM
Hmm, maybe I'll just try to build off of it for this year, at least to see how it goes. We have lots of other resources, manipulatives, workbooks, etc that I can put along with it.
August 28th, 2012, 06:12 AM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
Math Mammoth does not start with K, it goes grades 1-8. I dont really have any experience with any other math program. This is what we thought would best work for us and we just stuck with it.
October 11th, 2012, 06:49 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We supplement the math on time4learning with Dreambox. When I see the kids struggling with something, I make up my own lesson plans for them based on their learning style. A lot of times we use manipulative, like the ten blocks and an abacus. We also use a number line and number chart when needed.
October 11th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My daughter loves math. We use Singapore & Life of Fred and dreambox.com & xtramath.org for computer fun/practice.

October 12th, 2012, 01:54 PM
My daughter likes mathmammoth and k5learning
October 12th, 2012, 04:47 PM
bookworm16_2000's Avatar Mom to Allison and JR
We're using Horizons and loving it! My daughter thinks very linearly and this is a good fit for us.

I agree that Saxon is a good curriculum starting with Algebra 1/2. Before that it's very repetative, scripted, and boring!

Thanks to Claire1979 for the terrific siggy!

My Blog
November 1st, 2012, 01:15 AM
horizons is good like many mentioned

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search