Ahh...sweet relief

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By clouise
  • 1 Post By LeedaRenee
  • 1 Post By Countrymom4

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 27th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I've reworked our schedule so the kids do all their sit-down work in a two hour block in the afternoon. While Katy is napping. It is sooo much easier....really just a hundred times better. She is quite the handful, and I didn't know how much more of the screaming and getting into all the school stuff I could take. Plus I didn't think it was fair to the other kids. How can they concentrate with someone literally screaming in their ear? So now I just need everyone to cross your fingers that Katy continues to take good naps all year. Maybe I will try schooling in the mornings again next year when she is three. For right now the afternoons is where it is at though. We spent a lovely morning outside reading books, riding bikes, and blowing bubbles. Just an improvement all around.
4hearts likes this.
August 27th, 2012, 02:44 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
I'm glad you found something that works for you! I'm thinking about planning the bulk of DD's schooling for when the younger kids are napping, and just doing crafts and other things that DS can be involved in during the mornings when he's up, but I'm still a bit undecided.
August 27th, 2012, 04:13 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Glad it's working for you! That's what we used to do, too ... the stuff that didn't require a lot of attention was done in the morning, and the stuff that did, could be done in the afternoon while D was napping. We still have "quiet time" in the afternoons even without naps. The kids have to read books or whatever.
August 27th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We had quiet time too, and I hate that I had to give that up. That's when I got a lot of my housework done, plus got a little break to recharge before the rest of the day. Doing school in the morning with Katy just wasn't working though.
August 28th, 2012, 06:07 AM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
I hope it continues to work out for you!!
August 28th, 2012, 06:46 AM
LeedaRenee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was thinking about going this route too but DS just concentrates better in the morning hours. I've been letting DD (20 months) color and play with the playdoh while I do his math and reading. It does get hard though. i'm trying to think of other things to distract her during our lesson.
4hearts likes this.
August 28th, 2012, 08:15 AM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm glad you figured out what would work best for you guys. Hope it keeps up!

August 28th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Countrymom4's Avatar Chrystal
My little guy naps in the morning(he is up at 6) so we do our main stuff then. It works so much better. Then for the rest we have a rice container and play doh, lots of fun stuff off pintrest.
4hearts likes this.

August 28th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Veteran
This basic routine works for us, too. Lots of play and books in the morning and sit down work after lunch after I've put the little ones down for quiet time and naps.
August 28th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Rochelle
I had this issue last yr with my 1 y/o. She just turned two last week so I'm hoping she doesn't interfere as much this yr. I think you have a good idea though with doing the bulk during naptime. and I should try that. Also, I like the playdough idea and I should check pinterest out.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search