Paperwork question (NOI)

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 6th, 2012, 06:39 AM
Sour Amaretto's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Sour Amaretto
We have relocated back to VA & we were staying in a hotel but we hadn't found a house after a few weeks so while looking we decided to stay with family so Im going to send my daughters paperwork in here in the county we are staying in(although I dont think we will be in the this county when we find a house but i dont want to wait to register her b/c Im scared i will get in trouble) So my question is since its after 8/15 do i call the school board for this county and explain why its late and then mail it in, or do I just mail in my NOI and my curriculum description and leave it at that unless they contact me. (Which I saw the law changed in VA for curriculum explanation that so Yay, that makes it easier)

Wife to: J
Mommy to:
Minion 1 2*3*05
Minion 2 6*3*08
Minion 3 7*22*11
Minion 4 7*30*12
Minion 5 due 9/20/13
September 6th, 2012, 09:22 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I would call and say you've moved but haven't found a home yet. That's it. Don't talk about whether something is late unless they specifically ask. They have no idea when you moved, right? Just register with the county you're in temporarily (they'll tell you how to do that), and then change it when you find something permanent. Butter can probably be more helpful on state particulars. I've never lived in that area.
September 6th, 2012, 10:06 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Just send it in. I doubt they'll question it. People are always moving in and out. The 8/15 cutoff is really for people who are already homeschooling since you have to send in the NOI annually.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

September 6th, 2012, 06:28 PM
Awesome, Thanks so much! Once we find a house and get moved in should I call this district and tell them we are moving?

Mommy to:
Minion 1 2*3*05
Minion 2 6*3*08
Minion 3 7*22*11
Minion 4 7*30*12
Minion 5 due 9/20/13
September 7th, 2012, 04:25 AM
Regular
I"m a Virginia homeschooler, and this is a fairly easy state to homeschool in. I suggest not to call, but go to the school board office and pick-up the packet. They will work with you and will give you the information you need to transfer your intent to the next county. Even though it is past the 15th of August since you just moved here there shouldn't be an issue. They will have an intent to homeschool form with a packet about requirements at the school board office. You will need a copy of either a high school or college diploma to turn-in with your intent form and a list of all subjects for each child. You don't need to list the books, just the subject. All this info should be in the packet.

I live in one of the counties that has a high homeschool population, so our school board works well with us. Virginia also has a pro homeschool Governor. Good luck and if you have any questions, I'll try and answer them.

Nancy
September 7th, 2012, 06:07 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Not all counties have a packet, not is a packet required. There is no NOI form. You can make it yourself. Go to The Organization of Virginia Homeschoolers - Answers to Virginia Homeschool Questions for more information. They have examples. You don't have to call and tell them you are moving. We didn't. They didn't care and never contacted us about it (we were in Alexandria City and then Fairfax County).

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

September 7th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Regular
Guess it's just my county and the 3 surrounding counties that do the form and packet. I first homeschooled in 2008 and they had the form and packet then too so it's not new. It sure made things easy, it took me five minutes to fill out and turn it in. Over 40% of the school aged children in my county are homeschooled, so it makes since to have everything in a nice packet.

Sorry for the false information.

Nancy
September 11th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Thanks ladies. Im going to mail in a noi, I haven't seen where anything on thier website says anything about a packet. Nancy may I ask what counties you know of that do the packet?

Mommy to:
Minion 1 2*3*05
Minion 2 6*3*08
Minion 3 7*22*11
Minion 4 7*30*12
Minion 5 due 9/20/13

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search