Writing for 2nd grader that hates writing

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 10th, 2012, 08:30 AM
brandimomof2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are having so many issues with my daughter in writing. She hates writing!!! We are using A Reason for Writing. I would think picking out the boarder to decorate each week would motivate her but it so does not. She complains about every subject that involves more than writing one word.

Has anyone used HWOT and your child that hates to write liked it? I looked at it and it didnt seem all that appealing to me but I am not the one with writing issues. I just dont get how it would be appealing to a child that hates to write. I would think A Reason for Writing would be more appealing. LOL

Any other programs you would recommend? Thanks

September 10th, 2012, 09:25 AM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
I don't have any experience with HWOT but....

My daughter is almost 8 and hates writing too. It takes a lot of work to get her to write anything by hand. She also hates drawing and coloring. I have a friend using a cool thing called Draw Write Now. I just ordered it and I really hope that it helps.

I've also asked her to keep a journal. She is supposed to write three sentences every day at the moment. She used to take a long time just writing just one sentence, but it's getting much easier. She used to nit pick and worry (a little too much) about spelling to the point where she wouldn't do anything at all. She's finally gotten over that hump and has a bit more courage. I set up an email account and we also email each other back and forth. She also emails her grandparents regularly. She loves the computer and this is like a treat, and has helped her practice spelling and has helped improve her writing as well.

September 10th, 2012, 09:45 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Mine also hates writing, coloring, etc. I've heard great things about Draw Write Now. If you want to preview it before you buy it, you can usually find it at Lakeshore Learning, or you can order it through Mardel's and then return it if you don't like it.

Do you know exactly WHAT she doesn't like? Have you tried both cursive and print? If you're just doing print, you could start over with cursive. It takes fewer fine motor skills to master and is easier to learn. Abeka starts with cursive at the PreK level, so you could get K or 1st if you want larger lines and clear instructions.

I've used HWT. Both of my kids like it. I'm not particularly fond of it (especially the cursive ones), but if they like it, fine.
September 10th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Thanks ladies. I was at Mardel's just today and was looking through Draw Write Now and that was the only one that looked appealing to my daughter. I almost bought it but wanted to check reviews first before I bought it. Sounds like it will be good. I had looked at it for my older daughter a few years back but we decided on A Reason for Writing because she loved picking out borders so much. She would of loved the Draw Write Now too though. My younger one doesnt like Reason for Writing at all so maybe the Draw Write Now will work for her.

Thanks

September 10th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
My 12 year old wants to be a writer when she grows up. She's always writing. At 8, she hated writing.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

September 10th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Hey Heather, How are you? I remember you from a while back.

My older daughter is like that now. She hated it at this age as well and now she is so so much better and writes books and stories. I know my younger one will get through it too its just frustrating when all of her school work requires writing. LOL

September 10th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
We're good

Maybe mix it up for her. Can she type sometimes? Do some thing orally? Dictate some assignments? My almost 11 year old has dysgraphia so writing is actually a problem for him - physically writing doesn't work right for him. The special ed teachers suggested letting him skip the writing for things that are not teaching writing. Like science or social studies assignments being dictated to me or done orally. He has to write in language arts, of course, but not when it's not absolutely necessary. I know your daughter doesn't have a disability, but I think their advice can be applied to "normal" kids, too, especially when you know they'll get to liking writing eventually.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

September 10th, 2012, 06:22 PM
Yes we are doing some things orally right now. It seems there is still way to much for her to write. We will figure it out though. I know it wont last forever.

September 11th, 2012, 05:38 AM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
My 12 year old wants to be a writer when she grows up. She's always writing. At 8, she hated writing.
This is good to hear!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search