How's school going?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 14th, 2012, 01:51 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
How are you? How are the kids? If you've changed directions or curriculum or whatever, how are you liking the changes?
September 14th, 2012, 03:09 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
We're still enjoying our new baby break for another week, then we're picking up where we left off
September 15th, 2012, 09:59 AM
Regular
Very well. We are taking things a little slow for now and enjoying the cooler weather. We went to Harpers Ferry for a field trip last week and plan to return next month for another field trip.

Nancy
September 15th, 2012, 10:09 AM
Sour Amaretto's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Sour Amaretto
We are doing ok... Im thinking I need to look into curriculums alittle more. The wing it method doesn't seem to work well here... so I feel like Im back at step 1.

Wife to: J
Mommy to:
Minion 1 2*3*05
Minion 2 6*3*08
Minion 3 7*22*11
Minion 4 7*30*12
Minion 5 due 9/20/13
September 15th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Kelly... what are you looking for?
September 15th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
We've only had a couple days since I came back(but we did work for a few weeks before I left too). Things are going just peachy. I'm waiting on some more supplies to get here though, which sucks.

Leo will be starting his hydroponics unit soon and he's VERY much looking forward to it, lol. He's got the best green thumb I have ever seen. I swear you could give him a packet of ketchup and that boy would find a way to make it grow beautiful flowers.

We're still figuring out our novels/books for literature this year too. We haven't made up our minds yet.
This week coming we'll just be settling back into our routine for the most part, though.
September 15th, 2012, 06:51 PM
bookworm16_2000's Avatar Mom to Allison and JR
We're doing great! I was planning on taking things slowly and spending around 3 weeks for each letter of the alphabet. That got thrown out the window

Allison will color if you tell her that she must and do a craft for school time every once in a while. She thinks school has to be sight words, reading, practicing letter formation, and worksheets! Nothing I can do or say will change her mind She likes the hard hitting academics!

So, we are spending a week on each letter and planning on starting Horizons K Math and How to Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons in January. I have a feeling she will be ready for 1st grade in August (at 3). I'm a little scared at that fact!

Thanks to Claire1979 for the terrific siggy!

My Blog
September 16th, 2012, 05:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We're still getting settled in. We pretty much took this past week off...we were out of town the first half of the week, and then I was making new plans. Tomorrow we are starting back up with several new things. I bought Rod & Staff English for Beth and Matt as well as McRuffy Science, and then I have Singapore math for just Beth. We're also still using the Oak Meadow as well as a few workbooks here and there.
September 16th, 2012, 07:50 PM
Erin.minus.thyroid's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
things arent going all that great but its getting better. We have really just been trying to figure things out the last month. Still trying to figure out how to juggle school and caring for my 8mo old. She gets so mad when im working with him but she is crawling super fast and cruising and she will get into everything that we are doing. We are doing montessori and the majority of the work is done on the floor so she can get to it easily unless we keep her out of the room.

I spent the weekend rearranging our school room and cleaning everything up. I still need several book shelves but its looking better.
DD born 1/3/12

September 16th, 2012, 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frackel View Post
I swear you could give him a packet of ketchup and that boy would find a way to make it grow beautiful flowers.
Mind if I borrow your child for a while? My poor garden is dead, dead, dead!!
September 16th, 2012, 10:21 PM
Countrymom4's Avatar Chrystal
Things are going good!! We have not been working very hard, but working.

September 17th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We are doing pretty good. Logan is speeding along like crazy and Emily is doing ok with letters.

7/24/12
10/09/12
September 19th, 2012, 06:24 AM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Things are going pretty well. I like Calvert, though I am starting to add in some different crafts and Pre-K packs that I've downloaded from various sites since we seem to move through the Calvert lessons relatively quickly. She's really good with visual/hands-on learning, not so much with auditory, so I'm trying to adjust things where I can.

September 19th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Things are going really well actually. We had kind of a rough start, but now we have a good routine going. We tend to school for about two hours in the afternoon while Katy naps. On some days we need to work in the morning though and she is doing so much better.

I added in McRuffy Science, Rod & Staff English, and Singapore math. I really like McRuffy...it is workbook based, and all laid out, which is what I need right now. There are some cool experiments still, and I do add in my own experiments from another book I have as well. Rod & Staff has been a good fit as well. The kids are learning so much, and it's pretty easy to follow. The Singapore math is not that great of a fit. It just teaches math in a different way than my kids have learned, and they're not all that interested in switching over. I'm still using it, I'm just letting the kids solve the problems in a way that makes sense to them. They are both learning their multiplication tables, hot to tell time, and how to work with money (as in make correct change) as well, and I just put that together myself.

We still have the Oak Meadow books, but all I do is read the kids' the stories and poems out of them.
September 19th, 2012, 01:36 PM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Things are going pretty good here. We still haven't added much besides to our core curriculum (math, reading, and writing) but I plan to do so soon. Our only roadblock right now is the writing the numbers part of the Horizon K (math) worksheets, I swear it can take us up to 45 minutes to get those done because she gets careless and scribbles them all so I erase them and have her do them again. I don't care if they are perfect (and have told her this) but I do want her to give her best effort.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search