Field Trip!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By BensMom

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 19th, 2012, 07:56 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
How often do you take field trips? We used to do it a lot, but we haven't done one in a while. I'm taking the kids to a new (to us) zoo on Friday. Daniel still gets free admission for another month, and Friday's weather is supposed to be absolutely gorgeous. Hopefully it'll be a lot of fun.
September 19th, 2012, 09:27 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Umm, define field trip....

For us, every trip out of the house is a field trip. So, in that sense, we go almost everyday, lol.
Actually later this week, hopefully, assuming I can get this all of a sudden and uber nasty cold to go away(not likely, and I am super cranky because of it, stupid thing), we will be going around to gather some plants for our botany unit. We need to gather plants, seedlings, take cuttings, soil samples and a whole bunch of other stuff. But we do that right here near the house, lol.

We don't really go many places, they all cost money and I'm broker than broke at the moment. We do have to go to the store later this week too, but I don't see that happening if the weather gets all wet and stuff...like predicted. I am NOT walking a mile there and a mile back in crappy weather, lol.
September 20th, 2012, 06:01 AM
Regular
We took a field trip to Harpers Ferry, WV last week. Starting tomorrow we will be doing field trips all week. My Mother-in-law is visiting and we are taking her to Raleigh, NC on Friday and Saturday. Susie has to dance in an Irish Feis on Saturday morning in Raleigh. I'm still looking for cool things to see and visit in Raleigh. We also have plans to visit Luray Caverns, an Apple Orchard, Historical Middleburg, VA and maybe the National Zoo or National Art Museum all next week. My Mother-in-law is from Oregon, so she finds her visits very exciting and loves seeing all the sites in Va and other east coast areas.

I plan to do several field trips every month. I love to find places that are free, like Harpers Ferry. We plan to visit Harpers Ferry again in October. We also plan to visit most of the Smithsonian Museums throughout the year this school year, they are also free.

We have made field trips to the grocery store. When I go to the military commissary the girls track what I'm spending and keep track of the list. We also talk about the different sizes of products and which is the best choice for the cost. They help me prepare the list and coupons. It's a good lesson on household money management.
September 20th, 2012, 06:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frackel View Post
Umm, define field trip....
It's whatever YOU call it! For us, it's a day when we toss desk work out the window and go somewhere different/fun whether or not it aligns with our topics of study or not. We're doing birds in science right now, so surely there's a bird or two at the zoo. We're mostly going for the SOCIALIZATION, though... because my kids are monkeys, and they don't get to see other monkeys often enough!
ultrarun71 and Frackel like this.
September 20th, 2012, 07:42 AM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
mine are still too small for many things, we are going to the zoo this saturday, Ross is really into animals and what sounds they make right now so i think he will really enjoy it.

When the kids are bigger im hoping to be able to do something feild trip-esc (like the zoo, museums, science centers ect) atleast once a month. Im sure we will do other smaller outings and get togethers with other homeschools more often though

September 20th, 2012, 09:11 AM
bookworm16_2000's Avatar Mom to Allison and JR
Our homeschool group has field trips once a month (or more if we can find things to do that aren't too expensive). August was a professional baseball game, September was apple picking at a local ranch, and October is a trip to a pumpkin patch. We also go to the zoo and the park often.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the terrific siggy!

My Blog
September 20th, 2012, 09:23 AM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We don't go on them very often yet (unless you count going to PWOC every Tuesday lol) but we have two scheduled for October.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

September 20th, 2012, 10:27 AM
ady's mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We love them! I started a homeschool group where I live and we do two or three trips a month. Since school started we have been to Harpers Ferry, Pizza Hut (in the kitchen making pizza), Utz potato chip factory, and an art museum. In October we are going to the pumpkin patch, Gettysburg, and the local post office. In November we are going to a llama farm, a florist, Mt. Vernon...

I try to make Friday's a trip day for Ady and me. If all the school work gets done then Ady and I will head somewhere for the day or the afternoon. DH and I like to travel too, so we did lots of trips this summer. D.C., Philadelphia, NYC, Harrisburg capitol building, Bedford Falls, Jersey coast, and Hershey were some of the trips we took this summer.

http://adyandme.blogspot.com/
September 20th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'd say once a week at least. We go to the zoo, children's museums, farms, cool parks, different libraries....here, there, and everywhere. We are touring The Pentagon later this month.
September 20th, 2012, 12:20 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
Not as often as I would like lately, once Hannah is a bit bigger I plan to go more. Even then it will be tough though because there is NOTHING nearby. Our last field trip was to the salmon aquarium about a month ago, the next will probably be a to the apple orchard.
September 20th, 2012, 12:30 PM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh I forgot! We are also going to the fire station later this month, a local elementary school actually offered for our homeschool group to join their classes.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

September 25th, 2012, 09:29 PM
I go with my homeschool group (all aged 10-15) about once a week on a really cool field trip. So far this year we've gone to the 9/11 Memorial, The Federal Reserve (tour), The Museum of American Finance (class), a green energy center called Solar1 where the kids had a class and then made their own solar-powered cars, Grant's Tomb (class), and Hamilton Grange - the home of Alexander Hamilton (tour). If you'd like to see pictures, check out my blog:
Cityschooling: Trips

This week we're going to Brooklyn Bridge Park to seine the East River and learn about the wildlife we find. I love field trips! NYC is so full of places to go and ds gets to experience everything in an up-close, hands-on way.

Dd(19) Internship in Manhattan
Dd(16) Junior dance major at the "Fame" high school
Ds(12) 6th Grade relaxed eclectic homeschooler
September 26th, 2012, 02:05 PM
somo_chickenlady's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are going on our first field trip on the 6th. I don't know if it counts as a field trip, per say, b/c it has nothing to do with anything DS is learning about, but we are going anyway. lol We are going to a reptile expo and education day. There is a health fair and science expo coming up soon, also, and I'd like to go to that.

Click on my blinkies!!

**thank you SO much to tasha_mae for my beautiful siggy
and to CupcakeJamie and Niamh ૐ for my blinkies!!**
October 2nd, 2012, 11:59 AM
I had a doctor's appointment yesterday and took my daughter. I had a feeling that x-rays were going to be done to my wrists and my daughter just loves anything that has to do with the medical field. I knew she'd love seeing me get them done and I was right. The x-ray tech even let my daughter see my bones in the x-ray and she was thrilled. I don't know if that counts as a field trip but my daughter was thrilled and loved it.

I am planning future field trips to an aquarium and Yosemite. I figure a field trip can be anything as long as you learn something. There is always something to be learned in every situation so why not? As I see it, my daughter learned about science by watching my x-ray and that's something you can't do in school. :-)
October 2nd, 2012, 01:10 PM
Totally counts!! I'd love to have done that when I was a kid. I love medical stuff.
October 2nd, 2012, 02:35 PM
Eowyn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
whenever the weather is nice we like to do field trips to the parks or library events etc. We love to go to the zoo on the weekends.
October 3rd, 2012, 09:56 PM
Countrymom4's Avatar Chrystal
OUr homeschool group goes on a field trip each month....as for days we throught the books aside and do other things, 1 a week. We have the kids outside with us alot. Kyren was gone allday yesterday on the quad chasing cattle and hanging with Dad

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search