We have Legs!!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 19th, 2012, 11:36 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Odd title, right?

Ok, you all remember George, don't you? Probably not, lol...
Here's a refresher...

A while back, while out fishing, we found a baby snapping turtle. He was in a place he should not be(clearly dumped there by someone careless, as they do NOT live in that particular area naturally). I, being who I am, did not have the heart to let him live out a (likely) extremely short life in that area.(not that the kids would let me anyway). So he came home with us.

So far, he is doing awesome. Growing like a little weed and really coming into his, rather coming out of, his shell. He's quite loving to me, not so much the kids. He mostly shells it when they pick him up. He HAS tried to snap at them too, during feeding(like when they give him worms, which he no longer wants, lol). Their little fingers look like squiggly worms, he can't help himself. He's NEVER actually snapped on anyone though, soon as he gets close he stops himself, it's cute. He's already gone through two sets of fishy tankmates(minnows). This after eating only worms for quite some time.
(sorry if this is TMI or icky for some, but, hey, it's nature, lol)

Last week Alexis found some tadpoles outside. I know, I know, we've been down this road before, lol. I swear every year we have tadpoles. But, but... we can't let them live in puddles that will soon dry, it's just not fair. So, we don't

We put them in expecting that George would eat them(again, sorry, it's nature, lol). BUT, he really hasn't eaten very many. I think he's growing fond of them, kinda cute actually.

Back to the topic....some of our tads have their hind legs now!!! I can't really get a good pic of them-fast lil buggers,but at the end I'll show you the tads and George, we got some pics during a tank cleaning the other day.
Assuming they don't get eaten by George, we plan to release any that get all 4 legs before the cold sets in. Any that live until spring will get released then. Once they have all 4 legs they come out of George's tank and will go into their own(since they're not aquatic by that point and he is). So if they develop on time, most SHOULD live until Spring. Unless he gets real hungry in the next month, lol.

I have to admit, it's nifty seeing more tads in the house, we really grew attached to all the others, lol.

Here's a pic of the not-so-little-anymore George, and his tank mates. He used to be so itty bitty. If you look close you might be able to make out some hind legs, but it might be hard. A few more since the pic have gotten legs now too. They almost look like triangles at the base of the tail near what would be the butt....if they had regular butts

September 20th, 2012, 06:10 AM
Regular
That is so neat! Thank-you for sharing. I'll have to show my girls your pictures. I'm a big turtle fan. We also have a pet turtle. ; )

Nancy
September 20th, 2012, 06:40 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I LOVE your animal stories!! You're much more of a nature person than I am. I'd like to be, but the girly "ick" factor gets in the way.
September 20th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Haha, we have no ick factor

The kids also have crayfish, or at least had, I think the really big one devoured the others already. I can't really get a pic of them, or it, though, water's too murky.
They were going to use them as bait but then Leo found a giant(to him) one and decided to keep it, and offer it a few mates-that didn't last(unless one is hiding, I can't tell).

If we had land, we soooo would have more animals. I am a HUGE animal lover and so are the kids. Eventually that's the plan...house, lots of land and tons of animals
September 20th, 2012, 12:11 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
Very, very cool! We raised baby foxes (they're mother was hit by a car) when I was a kid and I learned so much!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search