I'm really worried about next year...

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 21st, 2006, 02:55 PM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
*sigh*
I am honestly worried about school for next year. We sat down this morning to continue to write thank you's for her birthday presents, and it was like PULLING TEETH to get her to try her hardest. I've got no problem helping her spell things and such, IF I know that she's honestly trying her best. But all too often, I feel like she's not trying and this makes me feel a little dread toward school next year. I don't know if I'm expecting way too much or what, but it seems like every time we sit down to do anything school related, we both end p completely frustrated and mad and not having fun....I hate feeling this way.
*sigh*

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

July 21st, 2006, 03:56 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Seems like a lot of kids don't like to write, maybe thats the part she dislikes? I think I would reduce the writting to the bare minimin while still giving (sneeking? lol )her things that will develop her fine moter co-ordination and improve her creative writting abilities. She's 6? I would probably require of my dd to do one sentance of copy work at that age. I don't know if you do that at all, it's a CM principle for teaching neat handwriting, spelling and grammer. Basicly you choose a line from a poem, scripture or other good literature and have your child copy it down as neatly and as exactly as possible. As they get older and better able to do it you work up to a paragraph. With the thankyous I would do that instead of the copy work not as well as. probably require one to be done then take a little break. Do another then take a break and so on.
Then I would be also giving some creative writting on the computer, (lot of kids perfere typing to writting)perhapes helping with ideas depending on how hard it was to get her to do it. So maybe complete the sentence so you type eg "The boy ran away from ...then she types (the giant) "It had a large nose with ... (lots of pimples!) lol There are also places on line with story starters. Then for the fine moter controll I would add some drawing, some handicrafts like beading, sewing etc.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
July 21st, 2006, 07:16 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh we went through this with Eli. I now give less writing on a daily basis. He just hates it. But he doesn't mind getting his small bit done. I also have seen improvement since I have made comments on his pretty penmanship.

July 22nd, 2006, 07:31 AM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
Thanks so much for the input! Since we're still technically out of school for the summer (we don't go year-round), this is the only writing that I've had her doing. She did look quite proud when I complimented her handwriting, because she really does write extremely well, but then got upset when I corrected some of her spelling...which leads me to my next question:

Is it better to correct her spelling on things like this or to let her spell them wrong? Or have her write the misspelled words seperately? I hate to always be saying, "Well, honey, that looks great, BUT..." but at the same time, I don't think she should be practicing spelling things wrong....it's a dilemma for me!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

July 22nd, 2006, 08:14 AM
Phoenix Rising's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Thanks so much for the input! Since we're still technically out of school for the summer (we don't go year-round), this is the only writing that I've had her doing. She did look quite proud when I complimented her handwriting, because she really does write extremely well, but then got upset when I corrected some of her spelling...which leads me to my next question:

Is it better to correct her spelling on things like this or to let her spell them wrong? Or have her write the misspelled words seperately? I hate to always be saying, "Well, honey, that looks great, BUT..." but at the same time, I don't think she should be practicing spelling things wrong....it's a dilemma for me![/b]
You know I think that it really depends on what she is working on. As far as things like thank you cards etc, I would probably make her writing pretty generic at this age... maybe sit down with her and have her decide what she wants to say, write it out together and then she copies it for every card.

If you have her do journalling I wouldnt worry about spelling because its a personal thing and spelling isnt important because its about expressing herself.

As for correcting her, I would definitely do it right away and perhaps have her start a notebook dictionary where she can write down the incorrectly spelled words and reference them later on. Another idea is to have a frequently used words word wall (or file or what have you) and she can look up the word that she isnt sure of and write it correctly while she is doing her writing. (I have a word wall thing if you want to take a look at it)

Clear as mud?
July 22nd, 2006, 03:44 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No that was very clear, I love the word wall idea. Think I will use that later myself!

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search