New Home Schooler!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 25th, 2012, 03:25 PM
somo_chickenlady's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi! I'm not new to JM, but I'm new to HSing. DS is in 8th grade and has been in public school up until this year. We moved to this area 18 months ago, and we were not pleased with the school district he was in, so we decided in the beginning of August to HS him. My husband is currently looking for a better job in a different state (he was self employed when we moved here), and we will put DS back in public school once we can get him into a better school, so this is just a temporary situation for us.

We are using Alpha Omega Lifepacs for history and language arts, CLE 700 for math, CK12 Biology, a free online sign language course for his foreign language, online typing course, and he chose to do a bible study.

He loves home schooling, and just this morning he said he has never liked school as much as he does now. It's also nice having him home during the day b/c we only have one car and we live in the country in the middle of nowhere where I don't know anyone, so when he was in school I got really lonely.

I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone!

Click on my blinkies!!

**thank you SO much to tasha_mae for my beautiful siggy
and to CupcakeJamie and Niamh ૐ for my blinkies!!**
September 25th, 2012, 05:56 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
Welcome!! What state are you looking to move to? Isnt it wonderful that they have a new zeal for learning?! Feel free to hop right on in
September 25th, 2012, 08:55 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Welcome!!

Do you think you'll still put him back in school if you move and he says he wants to keep working from home instead? Does he not miss school? Has he made any new friends where you are now?

By the way... HS'ing in MO is easy. I have a friend who lived there for a long time but just moved to AR. She always kept great records, but as you said in your intro, no one ever asked to see them.

Last edited by BensMom; September 25th, 2012 at 08:58 PM.
September 26th, 2012, 09:50 AM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome!

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

September 26th, 2012, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BensMom View Post
Do you think you'll still put him back in school if you move and he says he wants to keep working from home instead? If we move before the end of this school year and we live in a state that is easy to home school in, then I would finish out the end of the year. I want him to have the opportunity to go to college, and I'm afraid I wouldn't do everything he needs to qualify. Kwim? If we had started home schooling from the very beginning, I probably would have put him in public high school anyway.

Does he not miss school? Nope

Has he made any new friends where you are now?No, he never made a single friend at school, and we don't have any neighbors. He has a bunch of friends at church, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_mommy View Post
Welcome!! What state are you looking to move to? Isnt it wonderful that they have a new zeal for learning?! Feel free to hop right on in
DH would like to move somewhere south where it is warm most of the year and he would prefer Texas (esp the Dallas area) b/c we have friends that live down there, but he has had interviews in Alabama and Kansas, so other than moving further north than where we are from (Omaha, NE) we are up for just about anything as long as it pays well.

Click on my blinkies!!

September 26th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Regular
Welcome Kara! I have two girls that I homeschool a 4th grader and 6th grader. I started homeschooling 4 years ago because we moved to an area with a poor school system. I put my girls into a private school last year and my oldest daughter had a teacher that didn't complete the curriculum, so I'm back to homeschooling. I plan to homeschool the girls through 12th grade. Some colleges accept homeschooled kids these days based on the SAT test. I have the same fear as you with the college issue, because the college choices are limited compared to a school education.

Nancy
September 26th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm actually not aware of a college that doesn't accept homeschoolers. Even the military academies do these days.

Welcome Kara! My kids are quite a bit younger, but we're kind of in the same boat. We tried public, it went okay, but then we moved to an area with a poor school system. This is my first year as well.
September 26th, 2012, 11:54 PM
I'm glad to hear that we aren't the only ones that are home schooling b/c of a poor school system. It sounds silly, but the day after I posted about our plan to home school on facebook my BIL sent me a message and asked me exactly why we were home schooling. When he read my response, he said "Oh good, b/c there are some crazies out there that do it." It makes me sad to think that that is how some people (majority?) view home schooling. I just want my child to have a good education. I'm not trying to hide him from the world.

Click on my blinkies!!

September 27th, 2012, 05:55 AM
Regular
We have a large homeschool community where I live, and very few of them are crazy. LOL. TV hasn't helped when it comes to the publics perception of homeschooling, because they mainly film the crazy people to get viewers. Things are changing and homeschooling is becoming more popular every year.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search