Wow... it's October already?!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Irish_Wristwatch

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 1st, 2012, 01:45 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
What do you have planned this month (school or not)? Anything you're looking forward to or dreading?
October 1st, 2012, 04:57 PM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
we have a busy month

Thanksgiving is this weekend (in canada) and we are taking the boys to see the Wiggles in concert. My BIG ultrasound is on the 16th and on the 20th Will turns 1!! Then Halloween, I have a feeling October will fly by
youngwoman and ultrarun71 like this.

October 1st, 2012, 05:27 PM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
October is going to be fun here. We are still plucking away at school but *crosses fingers* I think we are finally at a point where we can start adding more fun and extra activities. We have two field trips this month and I have to do 15 hours of observation in an elementary school. We will also hopefully finally get our garden planted this month too.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

October 1st, 2012, 07:35 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
I am looking forward to a quiet month. I doubt I'll get it, but, I can always hope.

I spent last week in the hospital because of a really bad infection that ended up bringing out another infection I didn't even know I had. Was a mess. I'm in a crap ton of pain, I think I've found a whole new level of pain even :/ (and I have an extremely high pain tolerance, so that's saying something). The infections are clearing, but VERY slowly, and they can't possibly put me on a higher dose of meds than I'm already on. So, waiting game. Until then, I can't eat because my jaw doesn't open wide enough to eat, I can barely get a straw in much less a spoon. I have severe swelling on/in my neck/jaw area that's stopping it from opening. Long story short, I'm a mess(and very crabby to boot, which I hate, as it's really not me). Aside from not being able to eat, I have literally no appetite, I am force feeding myself things like jello, mashed banana, and stuff, just so there's SOMETHING getting in there. Smoothies are working ok, but I need to get some stuff to add more nutritional value to them on Weds when we go grocery shopping.

As far as school goes, we're just trucking along as usual. Nothing really big planned, or really anything small either. Just taking it day by day.
October 1st, 2012, 08:06 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
We're on vacation right now. Day after tomorrow is my oldest son's 11th birthday. That's really it out of the ordinary. Jamie'll probably be going to TX for a week later in the month, but that's nothing unusual. The fact that it is only a week is what's unusual (he spent most of 3 weeks - 3 trips - in TX in September).

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

October 2nd, 2012, 05:55 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We're going camping! Hopefully we won't freeze overnight. The days are supposed to be quite nice...up into the 70's.

Other than that we are busy with school and activities, including soccer and awanas. I also need to get ready for Halloween. I'm making our costumes and haven't even started yet.
October 2nd, 2012, 06:31 AM
Regular
My youngest daughter turns 10 on the 24th, and I promised her a birthday party this year. This is a difficult time to plan a party since the weather is so unpredictable in October. I have a friend visiting from CO to run the Army Ten Miler, and she talked me into running this race too. I'm looking forward to her visit, but I'm dreading running a race with 30,000 other people. Irish Dance classes start back up this week for my youngest daughter.

We have done well with homeschooling. I need to spend more time with my oldest daughter, because we are getting behind in science and history. I might change her English (6th grade) curriculum, because I want something that involves more writing lessons.

We are planning a couple of field trips. We will go back to Harpers Ferry the last week of October, and to Washington DC to show my friend and her family some of the sites.

Nancy
October 2nd, 2012, 06:42 AM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Bree, have fun at The Wiggles! We took Leah last summer and it was a blast!

We're going to Disney in less than two weeks! We've been planning this trip for a year and we're so excited!

Leah will be starting a new dance class this month as well. We'll make a trip to the pumpkin patch later in the month and then my DH's birthday is Halloween, so we'll do something fun for him. I love October.

October 2nd, 2012, 12:55 PM
I have school every Monday, Wednesday and Friday so all activities tend to circle around that. I'm lucky that my daughter is doing her homeschool through K12 and a good portion of it is online or in her books. It's weird trying to go to school myself while helping my daughter with her homeschool stuff.

I try to carve out extra time for us to do fun things. I ended up at the doctor's yesterday and ended up having x-rays on my wrists. My daughter found that to be great fun because she got to see my bones. The guy there was pretty nice to show her that stuff. I know it isn't necessarily educational but she is fascinated with all things to do with the medical field so I think it was a worthwhile trip.

On the 5th we are going to see the movie "Frankenweenie" because she is putting in so much hard work and could use a little break. This month being October we are buying pumpkins and will carve those together.

I also planned a field trip that actually has nothing to do with what she is learning now but is still educational anyway. I will be taking her to the Monterey Bay Aquarium so she can learn about sea life. I did this as a teenager and loved it. My daughter loved the smaller aquarium we saw in Minnesota so she is extremely excited to see this one. Monterey Bay Aquarium is bigger than the one we visited before and their website has her so excited.

As time passes into winter I plan on taking her to Yosemite. She spent her first 10 years of life in the Midwest so she doesn't know how beautiful Yosemite is yet. Now that we're in California, I'm excited to show her all the things I loved in my own youth. Where we live in California, we don't get snow and I figure she will start to miss it a little. That makes Yosemite the perfect place to visit in the winter if you ask me. :-)
October 2nd, 2012, 01:30 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Busy, busy, busy for us! This month is our wedding anniversary and Daniel's birthday. I'm working every weekend and one weekday. We have a bday party, a meeting at church, in-laws coming in, a day of babysitting (because PS has a day off, and a friend needs me to keep her kids) ... and of course, the usual school, therapy, gymnastics, bowling, etc.
October 2nd, 2012, 03:37 PM
Eowyn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We really try to enjoy the fantastic weather while it lasts so we are outside as much as possible this month! Sometimes school happens, sometimes it doesnt.
We are pretty relaxed about it though some days we get really a lot done but there will be plenty of time stuck in the house during the long, snowy winter to have our noses in books.
October 2nd, 2012, 08:23 PM
bookworm16_2000's Avatar Mom to Allison and JR
October is a fun month here. My birthday is mid-month, we have 2 field trips to the pumpkin patch, a couple of Halloween parties, trick or treating, and the usual play dates, walks, and school.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the terrific siggy!

My Blog
October 4th, 2012, 07:27 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
It will be pretty busy for us SIL and her girls are visiting, so we're just working on the "basics" for school, and we'll finish the rest of our science/health curriculum after they're gone. Thanksgiving is this month, and then Halloween of course. I'm also helping to plan a wedding reception for early November, and getting Christmas crafting done for the craft sales that start next month.
October 4th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
DS and I are heading down south to see my foster mum. Its DPs birthday and our anniversary and start light night (our churches version of halloween, nothing scary allowed!) School wise we will be concentrating on numbers 11-20 ( I have bought some small wooden frogs and turtles to help with the counting they are so cute!) Days of the week and maybe some reading eggs!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search