cursive!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kalis

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 4th, 2012, 10:31 AM
ady's mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ady started cursive and while she is getting the formation of letters down, she is having a hard time slanting the letters. She makes them so straight! Any suggestions for getting her to slant them?

http://adyandme.blogspot.com/
October 4th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Everything I've seen says don't teach cursive slanted and don't worry about it if they form the letters up and down. Kids will develop their own comfortable slant on their own.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

October 4th, 2012, 01:02 PM
That's good to hear. It was not important to me when I was teaching public school, but the book we are using at home really stresses slanting them. But Ady wants to make them nice and neat and straight. I don't want her to learn to hate handwriting because of me pushing her to make them slanted.

October 4th, 2012, 06:38 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Don't worry about it. Is she slanting the paper? That should be plenty.
October 4th, 2012, 09:33 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
My kids don't slant their cursive and never have. Even when they were in PS, they didn't teach that it had to be slanted. When they see slanted cursive they tend to assume it's in italic.
Leo can't write cursive yet, but the girls can. They do just peachy.
October 5th, 2012, 06:28 AM
Regular
My girls don't slant their handwriting. I just looked through one of the handwriting books and it does not teach slanting. Slanting might become more natural as she gets more comfortable with writing.

Nancy
October 5th, 2012, 06:43 AM
Veteran
I haven't been paying much attention to whether DS was slanting or not besides checking his posture and lining the paper up with his arm but now that I look at some writing he did recently I notice it is only slightly slanted and mostly not at all. I guess the goal is neatness without discomfort in the hand (I can't write for long at all because of bad habits that make it painful). Did the book say why they wanted an emphasis on slanting?
October 5th, 2012, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the advice! Yes, the book really has a big emphasis on slanting. But I won't worry about it. I wasn't going to originally because her formation and neatness is so good, but DH was asking why she's not slanting them and that made me think maybe I was doing something wrong. She slants the paper but still comes up with perfectly straight letters! Ok, I won't push her to slant.

October 6th, 2012, 08:08 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was also going to say slant the paper.

Also from what I hear, they don't even teach cursive in public school anymore. Crazy if you ask me.
October 7th, 2012, 07:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlelost View Post
I was also going to say slant the paper.

Also from what I hear, they don't even teach cursive in public school anymore. Crazy if you ask me.

I taught public school is several different states and they all taught cursive. Some expected kids to write in it all the time and some just taught it.

I did teach it when I taught second grade but I mostly taught first grade and we really stressed keeping the letters straight and now the cursive book I have for Ady stresses slanting them. I have her slant her paper A LOT and she still writes them straight.

October 7th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Eowyn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My mom really stressed perfection on cursive and sure, I hated it so much and now as an adult really felt like getting it 'just right' was a waste of time and tears. It's important to know how to write nicely but I wouldn't worry about copying someone elses style perfectly. Everyone develops their own style- I think this should be encouraged.
October 7th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ady's mommy View Post
I taught public school is several different states and they all taught cursive. Some expected kids to write in it all the time and some just taught it.

I did teach it when I taught second grade but I mostly taught first grade and we really stressed keeping the letters straight and now the cursive book I have for Ady stresses slanting them. I have her slant her paper A LOT and she still writes them straight.
Was this recently or in the past? I'm in Florida. Apparently it's just really not being taught or not taught enough to be learned down here.

Cursive Writing Becoming a Lost Art in Florida Schools | District Administration Magazine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eowyn View Post
My mom really stressed perfection on cursive and sure, I hated it so much and now as an adult really felt like getting it 'just right' was a waste of time and tears. It's important to know how to write nicely but I wouldn't worry about copying someone elses style perfectly. Everyone develops their own style- I think this should be encouraged.
Plus they say, statistically, geniuses more commonly have bad handwriting
October 7th, 2012, 04:58 PM
Eowyn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlelost View Post
Was this recently or in the past? I'm in Florida. Apparently it's just really not being taught or not taught enough to be learned down here.

Cursive Writing Becoming a Lost Art in Florida Schools | District Administration Magazine

Plus they say, statistically, geniuses more commonly have bad handwriting
LOL! Then I'm a genius! Hahaha!
I can write nicely if I take the time but generally when I'm writing it's for personal use and I write super fast and messy to keep up with my thoughts.
I used to joke with my sister that I didn't have to hide my personal journal for privacy because there was no way anyone besides myself could make out my chicken scratch writing! If I'm writing out a card I take my time and do pretty lettering but it's nothing I learned from a book, I developed my own style that looks nice and is easy to read. I actually get compliments on it often.
Bwahaha-little do they know what my real penmanship looks like!
October 7th, 2012, 05:37 PM
I'm the same way, Eowyn. My sister in law has GORGEOUS writing, though. But . . . try to have a conversation with her . . . Really, I love her, though. At least her handwriting is pretty!

This isn't to say I'm against working towards having nice handwriting and cursive. It's a good skill to have.
October 9th, 2012, 05:21 PM
kalis's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Is it ok if I admit that I hate cursive?!?! And I was also going to say I must be a genius! LOL
I can print very legibly, though small - with a mix of lower and uppercase (I have to be careful to print things correctly for Thea). I even had to ask my highschool English teacher to put up the cursive writing chart up for me when we had to write a whole essay in cursive. I believe that was the only time as a teenager I HAD to use cursive, and I was in highschool 12-16 years ago. If they did it that little then, I get the impression in most places they do it even less now.
I think that her slanting or not is not going to make a bit of difference in her education overall. Especially since she has obviously mastered print handwriting.
alittlelost likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search