Reading out loud

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By hiskid1324
  • 1 Post By ultrarun71
  • 1 Post By The Studious Mrs P.
  • 1 Post By Alison79

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 4th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Eowyn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Does anybody do regular reading out loud for school?

We recently finished reading "The Secret Garden" and just started J.M. Barrie's "Peter Pan".

DS is only 3 so he can sit and play quietly building legos and sometimes DD colors while I read but it's a really great break in our day that the kids really look forward to it.

Anyone else do anything like this? If so, what books are on your read aloud list?
October 4th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Not for school. I read aloud to the whole family before bed.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

October 4th, 2012, 12:59 PM
ady's mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We read aloud some time every day. Both during the school day and at bed time. Ady also reads to me twice a day. This year we have read The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane By Kate DiCammillo and now we are reading My Brother's Keeper by Mary Pope Osborne. We are always reading some chapter book aloud. This year I also want to read Ballet Slippers and The Secret Garden, along with some others.

http://adyandme.blogspot.com/
October 4th, 2012, 04:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I try to read to DS every day. But its only for about 5 minutes before he gets board! I can't wait till he has a longer attention span and we can read longer books together!
October 4th, 2012, 05:47 PM
Eowyn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My youngest is 3 and doesn't sit well during reading out loud chapter book-but I have him sit quietly in the room with a quiet activity while I read and he does get bits and pieces because he'll pipe up with answers if I ask any questions about the book when we're finished. He's also the kind of kid who is very happy sitting playing legos or lining up cars for a very long time!
October 4th, 2012, 06:43 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I did when they were little, but I don't anymore. Both have reading time built into their days. I'll read with Daniel if he asks me to, but I rarely/never read with Ben anymore.
October 4th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My kids LOVE chapter books (they are weird toddlers/preschoolers, I guess? LOL). We've read three of the Burgess animal stories series, and are working through the Burgess' Bird Book. We read the entire book (a very abridged and very illustrated version) of The Wind in the Willows this past week. They loved it and keep asking me to read it again, lol. Anyway, usually I read them at bedtime, but every once in a while, like on rainy days, we'll sit and snuggle on the couch while I read for a while. They like to look at the occasional pictures in the books.

We read picture books multiple times daily, and always one per kid before naps and bed too.
Eowyn likes this.
October 4th, 2012, 09:30 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Leo reads to me everyday as part of his LA. It's usually just a short story or something.

Sometimes for LA the girls will read a chapter or two of a book out loud, and all three have to answer questions about it. It works out really well, especially when attention spans are at grain of rice level(hey, we all have our days, lol). Sometimes they listen better when I'm not the one teaching.

Together we're reading Where the Sidewalk ends, right now(we've already read it, we're doing it again, and we read out loud). Not a storybook, but it's an awesome tool for LA. That and Dr Seuss books that use nonsensical words. It gets the reader thinking

I don't usually read to them anymore, but all three of them read a lot. I really prefer having them read. I know I understand the words/story/whatever is being read, what I need to know is whether or not they do. So I think it's more important(once they can read) to have them perform that task. Before they could read I read to them all the time, though.
October 5th, 2012, 06:33 AM
Regular
We read out loud everyday. The girls read the instructions to all their assignments out loud. They also read short stories and poems out loud a few times a week. I feel that kids reading out loud is part of learning to read and helps later with public speaking.

Nancy
Eowyn likes this.
October 5th, 2012, 08:00 AM
Veteran
Yes. Reading aloud has a large place in our home and homeschooling. We use living books for the most part and reading aloud exposes the children regularly to well written language above their current level. Audiobooks are a very useful aid but sitting together and reading and talking about what we're reading is a big part of how we like to "do school". Additionally, in the evenings DH regularly reads (aloud) books like the the Chronicles of Narnia, the Hobbit and recently started the Lord of the Rings. I also place importance DS practicing reading aloud regularly (reciting at times, also) to refine his elocution.
Eowyn likes this.
October 5th, 2012, 05:49 PM
moonstonemama's Avatar Regular
We often read aloud together. Donovan will read a chapter from whatever book he is reading then I'll read a chapter. We switch off like that until we've both read 3 or 4 chapters. It's fun to share in whatever his book of choice is. He is currently reading, The Unusual Mind of Vincent Shadow, which has inspired him to get back to filling his "inventions book."

Donovan also reads his assignment questions aloud.

October 6th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have a lot of reading out loud. Evelyn often reads to me from whatever book she is reading and will also read to her siblings/help them to read before bed. Her curriculum is literature based so reading plays a huge part in our day.
Eowyn likes this.
October 7th, 2012, 08:05 PM
Erin.minus.thyroid's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
we read out loud. i read to the kids and DS reads to me or his sister.
DD born 1/3/12

October 12th, 2012, 06:33 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
We read aloud every day, for school and at bedtime. So far I've been letting DD choose chapter books of her choice from the library and age does a drawing/copy work for each chapter in her literature journal.
October 19th, 2012, 10:56 AM
brandimomof2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We read all the time. There is a lot of reading out loud in our curriculum (MFW) and we have read alouds as well. They also read aloud to me for their reading time. I love reading to them and we like our curriculum to be literature based.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search