Are you on track?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 4th, 2012, 06:41 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
For those of us who are the planning type - are you still on track for the year? Have you had to make any major adjustments yet?

We're pretty well on track. The only bump so far is that we've all been sick this week, and we're already planning to take 2 days off next week, so we'll be filling in some gaps and working extra hard for a couple of days to catch up. It's totally do-able, though.
October 4th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Well yes, and no. We're not really behind exactly, but I have had to make adjustments here and there. Being in the hospital for a week kinda threw me for a loop. Now that I'm home, I'm still not getting as much done as I'd like because I'm still in constant pain. My best friend would be the pain meds(which really only reduce the pain, don't actually take it away) and I'm sure as heck not going to get crap done on them if I can't concentrate, lol.

I am hoping once this month is over, I'll be feeling better, and we can get back to where we were. For now though, I'm not stressing. Not that I would anyway. That's my fav. part of homeschooling, I can adapt, the kids can adapt, and we can work around whatever bumps we hit along the way once we hit them rather than trying to figure out a way to avoid them completely. It's inevitable that we'll hit some, some years more than others. If they were in brick and mortar school, I'd be in deep crap with the courts for truancy at this point. But since we don't deal with schools, we've only ourselves to worry about. YAY.

Right now the kids are focusing a lot more on work they can do independently, or at least without my specific help(they help each other a lot too). We've put some of our science and other hands on stuff on the back burner for the month. Not really a big deal,. A few days ago Leo couldn't sleep and got up at like 4. I was still wide awake as I usually take a hot bath before laying down, after I take my meds. He sat down with his algebra and biology books after getting something to eat, because he was bored. By the time I got out of the tub he was finished with both and watching the Planet Earth dvd, lol. (he did eventually fall back off to sleep on the floor in his box fort)
October 4th, 2012, 09:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We are 4 days behind where I planned to be, but that's okay. I don't really know how much time we'll actually take off when the baby comes, and we'll school up to the day the baby does come, so hopefully it will work out that we are finishing lesson 80 right before Christmas.
October 5th, 2012, 06:40 AM
Regular
I'm a planner and we are almost a 1 1/2 weeks behind due to my mother-in-law visiting. I already had my schedule made before she made her plans to visit for 9 days. I have a catch-up week built into my schedule, so we will do extra work over the next few weeks to catch-up part of the assignments. I plan lessons 10 weeks out, but I might change that to every 5 weeks after we finish this 10 week time frame.

Nancy
October 5th, 2012, 05:22 PM
ady's mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I plan everything. I told myself I was going to relax this year and not plan so much, but I just can't do it! I do plan less than I did when I was a teacher, but I have to have a daily, weekly, yearly plan or I feel so disorganized. We are ahead of track. I have had to adjust because she is able to do more every day than she did last year. Since we are ahead of schedule I don't stress too much if we decide to take an afternoon off or a short trip here or there.

http://adyandme.blogspot.com/
October 5th, 2012, 06:21 PM
bookworm16_2000's Avatar Mom to Allison and JR
I had our year planned out but my pace was much too slow for Allison. I went from 2 weeks per letter (we're doing pre-k/k) to 2 letters a week! For Christmas I'm getting her LLATL for LA and Horizons K for math because she's ready for a formal curriculum. We will slow the pace of the books to last us a year and a half instead of a year (I hope!). I don't feel bad if I want to skip a day and go to the park.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the terrific siggy!

My Blog
October 6th, 2012, 02:59 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Right on track. Evelyn actually needs to move up a level and right now we are doing two lessons a day because she does them very quickly. We are getting the next level from a friend in a month or so and I anticipate we will slow down a bit after that.
October 6th, 2012, 08:05 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We basically plan our work so that the kids can finish a year in a half year schedule. Then we don't have to worry about unforeseen hiccups.
October 8th, 2012, 06:42 AM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We're about a week behind, since we took time off when we had to put our dog down in early September. It actually works out though because our curriculum suggests that folks start in mid-late Sept (and we started late August), so between that week we took off plus next week when we take off for Disney, we're more on track as far as the timing of fall/Halloween/Thanksgiving discussions.

October 9th, 2012, 05:09 PM
kalis's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We are pretty close to what I have planned. I love planning, but since she is young and I piece everything together myself, I plan what is next more than I plan day by day. She has done at least everything I want her to and is ahead in some subjects. So I just have to move onto the next thing planned sooner.
The only thing we are off-track with is going through The Reading Lesson (I love that book, but Thea does not always). I thought we would be getting further in it, but hit a wall with blending sounds a couple of months ago so I decided not to push it. And she has been zooming her way through ReadingEggs.com instead! I guess it just works better for her.
October 10th, 2012, 11:03 AM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
We are surprisingly on schedule so far, taking this week and next off for a break.
October 10th, 2012, 01:09 PM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
ok, I am about 3 days behind right now. We are really trying to get caught up this week. We are doing school for the first time this week.LOL
We are going back to 5 days a week next week. We are just getting too far behind and I like being able to have an extra day to play around with.

October 10th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I can't say that I am much of a planner. I like to plan a week or two at a time. Anymore than that and I feel like I am just guessing...if one of us gets sick or I need to take extra time on a subject then everything is thrown off.

Things are going pretty well. The kids are happy and learning. I'm still working on our schedule. I decided to cut back on their activities out of the house. They love them, but it was getting to be a bit much with all the driving.

I'd say the only thing I'm using as intended is the Rod & Staff English. The Oak Meadow I pretty much hate.....I can't believe they've stayed in business. The Singapore math confused both Beth and I. The McRuffy science we do enjoy, but I skip around a bit.
October 10th, 2012, 03:21 PM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We are pretty much on track although we have taken a couple days off here and there. I broke this semester into quarters when it comes to her reading lessons and we just finished Quarter 1...she took a sight words *test* today and read 74/75 words in 15 minutes. I was pretty darn proud lol. We were actually way ahead on handwriting (because she tends to only want to do the workbook and not anymore of the curriculum, so we are now back tracking and doing supplemental worksheets with all the letters she has learned.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

October 12th, 2012, 07:03 AM
Veteran
clouise, ouch! Those are some strong words regarding Oak Meadow. lol Do they have a return policy you can utilize? I am actually unfamiliar with OM because it never appealed to me to look into it much but I'm so sorry it didn't work out for you.

My own plans went totally awry also. I had this awesome plan that was so amazing I could have written it a song of praise in my joy over it .... for several weeks, then it started unraveling for me. So, no, I guess I'm not "on track" but I have forged a whole new path and I'm making up the mile markers as we go along.
October 12th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Studious Mrs P. View Post
clouise, ouch! Those are some strong words regarding Oak Meadow. lol Do they have a return policy you can utilize? I am actually unfamiliar with OM because it never appealed to me to look into it much but I'm so sorry it didn't work out for you.
Thankfully I bought the program used, but it still wasn't cheap. I'm reading the stories included to the kids, but that is it at this point. I tried to give it a chance. Then I thought maybe it was just not a good fit for us. At this point though I have noticed a LOT of typos and other mistakes. I really just don't have any respect for an educational company who doesn't appear to even edit or proof-read the materials they then sell for hundreds of dollars.
October 13th, 2012, 09:08 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
We're about a week and a half ahead in just about everything, and about 2.5 weeks ahead in math. I really need to sit down and re-plan everything, Alyssa has been flying through her work lately.
October 13th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Countrymom4's Avatar Chrystal
We are ahead !! I wanted to be half done our math by Christmas and we only have 30 more math lessons !!

Thank You tasha_mae

October 13th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Veteran
Math can be like that (in one direction or the other). It is one subject I don't even bother scheduling far ahead due to it being an exercise in futility, at least as far scheduling for my oldest is concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clouise View Post
Thankfully I bought the program used, but it still wasn't cheap. I'm reading the stories included to the kids, but that is it at this point. I tried to give it a chance. Then I thought maybe it was just not a good fit for us. At this point though I have noticed a LOT of typos and other mistakes. I really just don't have any respect for an educational company who doesn't appear to even edit or proof-read the materials they then sell for hundreds of dollars.
I'm going to hope that the used copy you bought has at least been updated by the company since they published it; it does sound pretty rough.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search