Answering the "No school today?" question from strangers.

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Frackel
  • 1 Post By BensMom
  • 2 Post By alwayssmile
  • 1 Post By Alison79
  • 1 Post By youngwoman
  • 1 Post By kalis
  • 1 Post By docsmomma

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 5th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Eowyn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am often out with the kids one place or another during the day and
we get asked A LOT about why the kids aren't in school.

Does this ever happen to you? And what do you say? How do people react?

SOMETIMES I will get a positive response from people when I say we homeschool but generally people look uncomfortable, abruptly change the subject or feel the need to tell me all about the weird homeschooling Amish family they met one time when they were visiting their cousins out of town or something along those lines.

Sometimes they will just ask the kids directly and then I'm thankful because they just proudly belt out " I'M HOMESCHOOLED!" and they're so darn cute when they do it that no one has ever had a negative response to their declaration.
October 5th, 2012, 01:46 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
The only time anyone ever seriously asked me that (not just a passer-by), it was a security officer at the airport when I was taking my son to Colorado. Talk about awkward!! He was rude about it, too, as if he didn't believe me (even though the trip was academic in nature). Sheesh!

I usually say "done for the day", "off today", or "this is our lunch break". I let them assume whether or not he's homeschooled. None of their business. In this area, it's not a big deal anyway. HS'ing is very popular.
October 5th, 2012, 04:30 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
It depends on how it's asked, or where.

Usually it's just a "homeschool", and that's that. I don't get too many awkward looks or anything at that. Though even if I did, I probably wouldn't pay attention long enough to notice. I'm usually busy doing whatever it is we're out of the house doing.

But we've gotten some people who ask in that accusatory manner, or continue asking stupid questions after the first one. Usually the kids pick up on it before I do and their response is typically along the lines of "you mean this isn't school?", "mom, you told me we were here to learn", "I was wondering why our recess required getting in the car", "well, why aren't you in school?", or something stupid that throws the idiot off guard. One time Leo told some annoying lady he was writing a report on the spending habits of nosey old ladies, and he peeked his head into her cart He's a smart *** when someone tries to insult him, and this lady was. Probably because she overheard him answering me when I asked him to read something and he got it wrong. She really was being a royal pain in my butt. We were trying to find everything he needed for a project and she was just irritating me with stupid questions. Leo picked up on my irritation, lol.

Around here, specifically, homeschooling isn't really popular. It's not necessarily taboo, but it is still in that "they're kinda weird, but maybe not a bad weird", stage that HS seems to hit before it becomes more mainstream. But we live in a kind of rural area. It's when we're nowhere near home that we get the few odd comments we've gotten. People in less rural areas around here automatically assume only weirdos or kids with some kind of disability homeschool. Even in areas where there is actually a pretty high percentage of HS families, this happens.
therevslady likes this.
October 5th, 2012, 05:28 PM
ady's mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
There are a lot of people that homeschool around here and it hasn't been much of an issue. They usually seem impressed or interested in what it means to homeschool. There have been a few negative responses, but I tell them I use to teach and that I would never send my kid to school and this usually shuts them up.

http://adyandme.blogspot.com/
October 5th, 2012, 06:06 PM
moonstonemama's Avatar Regular
Donovan usually answers that he's homeschooled & the only time we got a comment was when a man got big eyes at Donovan's answer & said, "Way to go, Mom & Dad. Keep up the good work!" lol

October 5th, 2012, 06:26 PM
bookworm16_2000's Avatar Mom to Allison and JR
Since Allison is so young (2 1/2) we don't get too many questions yet. But we get plenty of weird looks when I'll have her count, recite the alphabet, or play I Spy with colors and shapes to keep her busy during a wait or errand.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the terrific siggy!

My Blog
October 5th, 2012, 07:38 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
No one has rudely asked. It's usually in the line at the store when people get bored and start talking to the kids. My 8 year old and 3 year old look amazingly close in age and people are always taken off guard by my three year old because he talks like a 3 yr old but looks like a 5-6 yr old. And my 8 yr old talks like a 10 yr old and looks like a 5-6 yr old, lol. Anyways, my daughter loves to tell everyone she goes to homeschool when people ask her what school she attends. She always gets flustered when they ask what grade she's in. We don't really "do grade levels" and she hasn't figured out an easy and fast way to explain that. She's really good at changing the subject and starts talking about the stuff she enjoys: soccer, guitar, Justin Beiber, etc. No one ever notices when she flips the topics around and avoids questions, haha.

October 6th, 2012, 03:59 AM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm16_2000 View Post
Since Allison is so young (2 1/2) we don't get too many questions yet. But we get plenty of weird looks when I'll have her count, recite the alphabet, or play I Spy with colors and shapes to keep her busy during a wait or errand.
my oldest is only 2 so this isnt an issue for us yet either... is it uncommon for kids to know letters and numbers at this age? Ross turned 2 in July and knows all his letters (can recognize them) and counts to 15, we are working on shapes and colours now, hes getting pretty good, I always thought he was typical

October 6th, 2012, 05:31 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_Wristwatch View Post
my oldest is only 2 so this isnt an issue for us yet either... is it uncommon for kids to know letters and numbers at this age? Ross turned 2 in July and knows all his letters (can recognize them) and counts to 15, we are working on shapes and colours now, hes getting pretty good, I always thought he was typical
IME, it's normal for kids who are at home (even if all they do is watch PBS all day), but not normal for kids in preschool/daycare (although there are certainly some there who can do it, too). I never got funny looks for that, but did for things like reading box labels at the grocery store. I'd play it down as if "reading" a memorized logo rather than actually sounding out a word.
bookworm16_2000 likes this.
October 6th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
The kids or I just say we homeschool and people usually just say "Oh, that's neat" or "Do you like it?" That's about it. Never a big deal.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

October 6th, 2012, 01:29 PM
alwayssmile's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_Wristwatch View Post
There's such large range of normal! DS is 23 months and I can't even get him to call me mama let alone communicate shapes, colors, etc. I understand him with naming about 20 body parts, but others don't (DH only understands maybe half). Communication is not my son's priority! lol. Instead we work on motor skills with me trying to get him to communicate that way.

October 6th, 2012, 02:58 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't think we've ever been asked that. Usually people are too busy asking if they are "all ours" and that makes them forget that we are out during school hours HSing is very popular here so it's not unusual to see lots of school age kids out during the day.
BensMom likes this.

October 6th, 2012, 08:04 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When people ask, we tell them they are homeschooled. If that bothers them . . . well, that's not my problem My kids think it's AWESOME they are homeschooled. They are also happy, friendly kids and doing well for their ages. It might be more accepted where I live because the schools here are such crap. If anything, I get a lot of "I don't blame you" when people hear we homeschool. At the end of the day, it's what's best for our kids. That's all that matters.
October 8th, 2012, 06:35 AM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Now that Leah is 4, we get a lot of, "Has she started school?" Thankfully, when I tell people that we homeschool, we get a lot of positive responses (Good for you, I know so-and-so who homeschools their kids and they're so smart/well-behaved, etc, etc). It's fairly popular in our area, so it hasn't been much of an issue.
alittlelost likes this.

October 9th, 2012, 05:00 PM
kalis's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi ladies! (Do you remember me? I will re-introduce in a new post!)
Anyways, I got this for the first time recently at Wal-Mart for the first time. I was a little surprised since Thea is only 4. But Thea herself told the young lady that she was homeschooled. And the cashier responded really positively. Turns out her best friend was homeschooled and loved it! I always love hearing about other homeschooled kids. We live in a small town and only know a few other homeschool families. The oldest kids are 6 (1st and 2nd grade).
But I know I will get this more as time goes on. One of the things I love about homeschooling the ability to go do things whenever we want. I feel pretty comfortable telling people why we homeschool. Lots of times when people find out (usually when they ask if she is in preschool yet or which one she goes to), they are really interested and have lots of questions mostly. I have been surprised to hear quite a few women say either, "I wish I could do that" or "I wish I would have been able to do that with my kids".
alittlelost likes this.
October 12th, 2012, 06:51 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
I don't get a lot of negative comments generally, we also get a lot of "I wish I had the patience to do that!"
October 13th, 2012, 06:35 AM
Destiny
I've never really had to deal with that, and probably won't, I live in an area with an excellent homeschooling community, so I don't think it will take many people by surprise.
When I was a homeschooled teenager there was a time someone walked past me muttering "juvenile delinquents in a library!" but I just chuckled and didn't respond.

I've had issues with my inlaws about my desire to homeschool, but I think that's a completely different topic.

October 13th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't really get any questions or looks. Homeschooling is very popular and common here. I do get a lot of questions from friends, or people I meet, who are considering homeschool themselves.
October 25th, 2012, 06:14 AM
docsmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to docsmomma
I rarely have to answer, since David loves answering this one. In fact, yesterday as we left the school (Joey goes to preschool 3 hrs a day) a teacher stopped David from leaving campus thinking he was a student and he looked at her, got a goofy grin and told her "I'm too cool for school, thats why I am homeschooled." After picking my own jaw up off the floor I was laughing about it... But did have to remind him to be careful how he said things. Lol
Eowyn likes this.
October 30th, 2012, 12:31 PM
PrettyMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi all, new to the thread. Getting some great idea's on how to respond to folks questions though. You ladies handle things well it seems. My daughter is 4 and very smart and we plan to homeschool her and our other 3. Glad I found this thread!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search