New Here

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 22nd, 2006, 09:56 AM
Regular
Hi,

I'm new here, my name is Billie. I'm a mother to 1 5year old name Ashley. Me and my mom (tricia) will be homeschooling Ashley this year. Am looking for tips and ideas on how to homeschool her.

TIA
TBA ~ Tricia, Billie & Ashley
July 22nd, 2006, 02:47 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi Billie
I take it thats one, five year old, not a 15 year old. Some people get no suport from family, so thats terrific that your mum is helping you out. Will you be doing K? its such a fun age. What kind of help are you after, can you be more specific? If it's everything I would tell you to look up the laws where you live. If your in the States http://www.hslda.org/hs/state/default.asp is a good place to start. Then to read up on homeschool styles and see if you feel drawn to one or more. http://www.geocities.com/homegrownkidsau/H...lemethods1.html That will get you started. If something interests you just Google it google is one of my best friends A lot of people including myself are eclectic. That means I like a bit from one method, a bit from another and I put it together my own way. Other people follow the clasical model, workbook, or unit studies. Just knowing what style you are drawn to can help you chooce curriculum, or even no curriculum. There is a lot of chooce and variety available.
http://homeschoolreviews.com/ is a curriculum review site which will help you get a feel for some of what is available.
I wouldn't worry too much about what the local ps is doing, but rather were your daughter is at. So look at her learning style, is she hands on, visual or auditory? Were is she at accademicly? I would concentrate on having her learn her letters and sounds well. or if she already knows those then concentrate on learning to blend cvc words. What subjects interest her, maybe you can do some themes on things she likes? Whatever your using try and include plenty of fun. My dd is turning 5 in November and this is the schedule I'm nutting out for next year. (Schools run late Jan to early Dec over here) it's not finished yet.
I might change this totaly yet it all depends also on how my dd takes to it.

Mon- Math-U-See (this is a bought maths curriculum)
-probably craft

Tue- Five In A Row (this is a literature unit study. You read the book then do an idea from the manuel to go into the story deeper)

Wed- phonics lesson. I'm looking at buying Alphabet Island Phonics for this.
- maths games

Thu- Math-U-See
letter/phonic games

Fri- Phonics lesson
-cooking

Hope this helps, feel free to ask questions.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
July 22nd, 2006, 08:19 PM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
Hi!!
I'm getting ready to go to bed, so I'll come back tomorrow and add my 2 cents (which is only actually worth about a quarter of a cent, but oh well!)
I just wanted to say and glad you're here! I know you'll love this board and I hope you come back with tons of questions!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

July 23rd, 2006, 04:11 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just wanted to welcome you!!!! Visit us often!

July 23rd, 2006, 05:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi I have a 4 year old welcome. Ask any questions you need everyone's verry friendly here.

July 23rd, 2006, 06:43 PM
New here too..
looking forward to learning with you!
July 23rd, 2006, 07:29 PM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
Hi! I'm back!!
All of Jo from Australia's advice was fantastic, so I don't really have much to add. My daughter is going into 1st grade, so we've just come from doing kindergarten. Kindergarten, for us, was mostly "fly by the seat of my pants" type of stuff. We used Horizons math, which I really liked, and I also used "The Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading". These were the only two "offical" curriculum-type things that I used, the rest of it I did using ideas that I got off of the internet and from the FANTASTIC ladies at this board! You may have notived our Project Ideas subforum. There's not a huge amount of ideas in there as of yet, but I'm hoping that will change as people add their favorite things.
Anyway, the great thing about Kindy is that it's mostly play, so don't give yourself an ulcer over it! (I'm speaking as someone who almost gave herself an ulcer over kindergarten!) I think it's neat that you have your mom to help you!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

July 23rd, 2006, 10:35 PM
Regular
thanks everyone for the welcome. ITs late so will answer more of the questions tomorrow. just wanted to say thanks for the welcome.
July 24th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome to the homeschooling wonderful...it is a wonderful place to be. We have some great subforums here for ideas on different subjects. The internet is a GREAT tool as well.
I hope you will enjoy it here as much as I have. It is a great support system!
July 24th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Regular
Hi,

Thanks again for the welcome ladies!

Yes we'll be doing kindergarten with Ashley this year. We've checked the state laws already.

Will check out those links, some we've already looked at. Ashley really likes hands on she seems to learn more by doing than listening.

Ashley is already asking to start school and putting her off a couple more weeks though. But she's got her pen and paper and writing and calling it school lol.

We've searched the internet and find so much information, I think I go into information overload lol.

We're trying to figure out exactly where to start at, for this year I've decided not to buy a curriculm and find the work from online because I want it to be more fun for her, but just gotta figure out where to start (does that make sense?) LOL

thanks
TBA ~ Tricia, Billie & Ashley

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search