Re-introducing myself and my daughter

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 9th, 2012, 06:40 PM
kalis's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi. I am Kristi, 30, Mommy to Thea, age 4.
I posted here off an don at the beginning of last school year, but mostly ended up lurking (and stealing resource ideas -thanks so much!).
We started homeschooling last year for preschool and it was great fun. This year we are buckling down a bit more, but that is just because she is ready for it and wants to do the work. And a lot of the work is so much fun! We are pretty hands on. We do more worksheets/books than I realize, but it isn't always Thea's favorite thing to do.
So I put everything together myself while using a mish mosh of workbooks and free resources, along with lessons I plan myself. I tend to lean toward unit studies at this point. But I know that all might change as she gets older.
My fiance likes Abeka since he had it at the private school he went to. So I am sure at least some of that will work its way into our curriculum in the next year or two (I have a few readers now is all, but he keeps asking if I am going to get it soon - he specifically is requesting the phonics charts).
My daughter is smart, and loves school right now, which is one of the reasons I know this is the best choice for our family. I remember being SO bored in school! I am blessed to be able to be home with her and be her teacher. And I am so thankful that her dad(my fiance) and I are so much on the same page and he is so supportive.
One thing we are doing soon is a science fair at our house with the two other homeschool families I know. Thea will be learning about the scientific method and our experiements will be about salt water vs fresh water. I am excited to see her try to give her first oral presentation! How cute will that be?!?!
Okay, sorry I am writing alot. I have been lurking regularly and can't believe I haven't become an official part of this group before now!

Last edited by kalis; October 9th, 2012 at 06:43 PM.
October 9th, 2012, 08:20 PM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome back!

A science fair is a cute idea, our homeschool group does a presentation day once a month to help the kids get used to public speaking. Basically it is a huge show-and-tell to let them talk about something they are learning.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

October 10th, 2012, 10:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Lovely to meet you!
October 11th, 2012, 09:49 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
LOL! The kiddie science fair sounds like fun! It's great to get them interested in science so early. Too many kids are afraid of science, thinking it'll be hard, but a lot of stuff about science is just plain fun! (Like... when Ben was 4, I remember doing one of the experiments in his astronomy book, where we used a magnifying glass to help the sun melt a hole in a piece of chocolate... and then we ate the chocolate!)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search