Standardized Test

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 18th, 2012, 06:23 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Do you have your kids take them? If so, are you required to by the state or is just your choice? What tests have they taken?
October 18th, 2012, 07:20 AM
Veteran
My oldest will be of age for state required testing as of next year so, so far, no testing here. If we're still in the state next year he'll be taking the Woodcock-Johnson. Partly because it's open ended rather than a single grade level, partly because it's mostly oral, and mostly because I don't have a degree so I can't administer any tests I know of myself so we will be going to a dear friend who works as a tutor and test administrator and uses the WJ (the friendly discount is a bonus). I don't think I would choose to do it if it wasn't required because for one, at this point, I don't care.
October 18th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
In Ohio you're required to do either the tests or send in portfolios. However in most districts sending in the portfolios is akin to nailing jello to a tree. You won't be successful no matter how many times you try.
There are some districts not as bad, but for the most part, they make it beyond difficult. It's not worth the hassle.

So we do the tests. I'd likely do them anyway though. I like knowing where the kids stand outside of my own teaching. I can grade them until the cows come home, and teach them all I know being confident they know what they are doing based on how they perform here. The real test, as I see it, is whether or not that knowledge carries over into other situations(and if not, then we get to the why/how of it all). In this case, whether or not they are ABLE to take the tests in general. I don't necessarily just look at the scores and say "oh, nope, you fail" or "oh awesome you know it all", or anything like that, though. So for me, pass or fail doesn't matter as much as how they feel while taking the tests, how confident they are at being able to use what they know, things like this. The numbers, ie scores, are important but they just play one role in the whole thing.

Not sure that makes much sense to anyone but me since most think the tests are a direct indicator of what they know. I look at it as though it's more of a good indicator of what they can recall outside of their learning environment, instead.

I'm also fairly certain you're not allowed as a parent, regardless of licensing, to administer the tests yourself. I can't recall if it's actually in the "rules" or not though, been a while since I looked. We have an umbrella school that does the testing at a local hotel.
Which makes perfect sense to me, since it's not the same as a quiz, or final, or something. I wouldn't administer them myself anyway, it would be the same as any other test/quiz/final we do here at home, which defeats the purpose of taking them(for us) in the first place.
October 18th, 2012, 12:30 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have them take these assessment tests just to see if there is anything they don't know that I didn't think to go over. I give them at home and they are just for me to see and to help build curriculum for the current year.
October 18th, 2012, 06:36 PM
bookworm16_2000's Avatar Mom to Allison and JR
In Arizona, we are not required to give standardized tests and my kids won't be taking them.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the terrific siggy!

My Blog
October 18th, 2012, 08:23 PM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
another Ohio homeschooler here. I order the CAT tests instead of the porfolio... I actually administer it myself and it costs $25 a test per kid. Sooo much easier to do this and administer the tests that way

October 18th, 2012, 10:39 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
We do the Ohio Achievement Tests here, starting in 3rd grade through 8th. The testing site is not far from here, and it doesn't cost anything, which is nice. Some people travel much further though. They do Math, Reading and Science(for 5th and 8th grades only). This is Leo's first year doing them, and Alexis' last-she's looking forward to it, and he is not, lol.
October 19th, 2012, 05:17 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
MD doesn't require testing, but we do the CAT-E Survey (language arts and math only) just because.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

October 19th, 2012, 07:30 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
TX doesn't require tests. I've done DORA & DOMA with both kids, and WJ with Ben. In a few years, I'll have Ben start practicing for things like the SAT just so he's familiar with the format and rules. He's never had to be perfectly quiet/still while doing a bubble test before. I don't see any reason for someone this young to do it, but in a few years, it'll be important.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search