How do you deal with

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 24th, 2012, 08:24 AM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
HS'ing in the midst of serious illness? I am just wondering based on some tests DS had done we could be facing a scary diagnosis. I am a mess as it is waiting to get back in to find out exactly what it all means. We havent even told him yet He knows he is going back to the Dr but doesnt know why.
October 24th, 2012, 08:40 AM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Well we haven't hit a serious one yet(since we started homeschooling that is, her first 6 years were serious, but before homeschooling. She missed a LOT of school though), but at some point, we will. It's inevitable with Lissy. We've hit some semi-minor issues that have impacted their learning. Personally I'd just take each day one at a time as far as whether or not you'll work that day. Plan for time off-even if you don't end up taking it. Be prepared to slow way down if necessary, or even speed up if he has a lot of down time but isn't necessarily feeling "ill". That can make up for slower times. The same applies to other kiddos too. If your son has to slow down, or you two have to be away(we very much understand the whole being in the hospital thing here) you need to have a plan in place for how/when/what they will do in your absence.
That may mean your DH teaching them, or them working on their own if they are able. It may mean whoever they are with, if not your DH, will be teaching them. In the case of someone else doing the work, you need to make sure your lesson plans are clear. Sometimes we know our plans so well we think it's clear as day, but when someone else sits down with it, it's about as clear as mud, lol.(been there and done that myself).

I think most importantly you need to be prepared, and he needs to be prepared, for slowing down and the possibility that you might not finish in the time frame you're expecting. Sometimes kids aren't as accepting of this as we are, because they might not fully understand that it's not a bad thing. That's not to say your son won't, but it's always a possibility. So preparing him ahead of time is a good thing. Letting him know if he's sick, it's ok to just do bare minimum, or even take some time off. That's something you'll have to figure out for yourself though-I mean how down time will work best.

Last edited by Frackel; October 25th, 2012 at 09:05 AM.
October 24th, 2012, 09:41 AM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
I wanted to add in something..

**HUGS**

I know how terribly difficult it is to play the waiting game, especially when it comes to the health of one of your children. It's not an easy road, no matter what you're facing. We're sending along as many good thoughts your(and his) way as we can muster. I hope you'll soon figure out what's been going on so that he can be back on the road to recovery very quickly.
October 25th, 2012, 06:50 AM
docsmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to docsmomma
You take it one day at a time, sometimes one hour. Plan some lessons that can be done easily away from home. Take breaks as needed. Remember yoh can catch up once you settle into a new rythym. When my youngest was at his worst, in thr hospital for long periods, we had a lot of times that we simply stuck to the basics for the older kids, doing lessons in doctors waiting rooms, hospital rooms, and even in the car. I found CDs that the kids could listen to in the car that would cover some history topics and we would listen to those in the van, and talk about, then do any written work in the waiting room. We learned about the human body by letting the kids interview the doctors. When we were in the hospital, I asked Child Life to bring craft supplies in, then helped my kids use them to make maps. But when things got really big (right after a relapse, and during Joey's bone marrow transplant) we simply took time off if we needed to. I just decided that the biggest focus was getting better at times, but we learned to adjust our daily schedules based on what our medical schedule was. Even though we took those breaks, my kids caught back up quickly after we settled into new routines. Also... Lapbooks are great for times you are driving to and from or in the doctors. Finally... Take time to allow you, and him, to accept whatever diagnosis may come. Kids often have a lot of questions and want to know what they are facing, but more, they have fears too. And taking that time to accept it, and talk about it, makes them more comfortable facing it. If they know they can talk about it, ask about it, its a little less distracting.

Gentle hugs. I know how difficult it is facing a serious health challenge, especially in the waiting phase. I hope you know soon. And that once you know one way or another, you can find the best path for your family.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search