Introducing myself

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 30th, 2012, 01:48 PM
PrettyMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hello everyone. I was here on this thread a while ago but as the time approaches closer for kindergarten to start for our daughter I decided to come back and join you all. My name is Nikki, I am a mom of 4 soon to be 5 children. I'm married and we really would like to homeschool the children. My oldest is 12 and from a previous marriage. I was young when he started school and had to work a lot so homeschooling wasn't really an option for me. Now that I am a SAHM and my husband works from home we feel homeschooling would work well for us. We live pretty unconventional lives anyway and honestly I just don't have much faith in our public school system here in Nevada.
Our kids are Amya 4, Kai soon to be 3 and Bryce is 1, so very close in age and we want them to all learn together. The kids are super smart already and know their ABC's, numbers, colors and shapes. I myself attend college online to earn my bachelors in web design and development and my husband also attends so they are aware of mommy and daddy being "homeschooled." Of course family have been very judgmental about our choice and feel we are alienating them from people and they wont have friends. I dont know much about it yet but hope to learn more and get some great advice and support from all the great parents on this forum. I still keep questioning if homeschooling is the right choice or if we are keeping them from a "normal" education. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks and glad to be here with all of you.

October 30th, 2012, 04:36 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Glad to meet you, and Welcome

I'm Michelle. I have three kiddos.. Alexis is almost 14, Alyssia is 11 and Leo is 9. They are technically in 8th, 5th and 3rd, but really they are in 8/12(soon, we're working out of 11th lit. now) split, 5/9 split and 4/6 split. This is one of the positives when it comes to homeschooling, you can cater to their needs. In some areas my children are very advanced, in others they are below or on par with their age group. When kids are in in a brick and mortar school, while adaptations are available in some places, they are severely limited, or nonexistent in others. If you live somewhere like here, for instance, you'll get absolutely no help in either direction. In some areas even the help they can provide, is mediocre at best. Who wants mediocre?

I know sometimes the decision may not always seem right, and it's usually some outside influence making you feel that way. But the one thing I do have to say for that is this..

Is "normal" all you want for your children in life, outside of their education? If not, why would you settle for "normal" when it comes to education? And how do you define "normal"?
That's not my way of saying that brick and mortar schools are all bad. In fact my kids attended them until the beginning of the 2010 school year. But what they were getting was typical(well, worse really, but we have a terrible school system here). What I wanted for them was "normal", aka, the best. That just so happens to be right here at home, with me.

Other people's idea of what's normal is vastly different from mine. I don't consider an education from a brick and mortar school as "normal". I define that as "typical", as that's exactly what it is, the option typically chosen. If we want what's normal than it would be whatever is best for each individual child. That should be how we define normal. But more times than not, that's not what people mean when they say it. They mean typical.
Homeschool families get to socialize, go on field trips and outings, can take standardized tests if they choose, can continue education into the college years, participate in other extracurricular activities, etc.. etc.. There are no limits to what we can do. Despite what people think. Socialization is the biggest one of all, I think. But really, kids in brick and mortar schools aren't there to socialize either, ask any teacher Sitting in a room with like aged peers is not what I'd consider socialization. I want my children to be able to be social with peers of all ages. Again, this is a positive effect of homeschooling.
Some of us truly are homebodies and don't get out much. But that doesn't exclude us entirely from all the things people say brick and mortar schools offer and homeschooled kids can't/don't get. Most people get out much more than we do, lol.

Please don't feel bad if you ever feel overwhelmed, or as if you're in over your head. That is something that happens to most, if not all, at some point. No one ever said getting, or giving, an education, should be easy. I kinda like the rough spots, the what ifs, the is this really rights, etc... They make all the awesome points, even more awesome.

Today for instance, no one around here has school. There is a lot of power out, downed trees and lines and severe damage from the storms. We had 1/4 power for over 5 hours earlier. We could have just as easily taken the day off. In fact, I was going to. My kids, on the other hand, had a different idea. They took today to work on figuring out this major storm. They used various maps, weather sites, news stations, almanacs, books we own and other websites too. Totally their idea, totally lead by them and they totally loved it. It evolved into a day of discussing weather phenomenon. It may come across nerdy to some, but I'm glad that even when they don't have to, they enjoy learning enough that they're still willing to do it. On their own is just icing on the cake, lol. I can guess that most of the kids not in school today, didn't spend a lick of that time thinking about their education(may or may not be a bad thing). School is school, home is home, other places are other places to them. But for us, school is everywhere. I really love that

I lost my train of thought all of a sudden. We'll have to blame the migraine meds for that one. I should go take a nap, lol. But, if I think of anything more to add, I'll come back, I know I had something else to say.

Last edited by Frackel; November 5th, 2012 at 02:26 PM.
October 30th, 2012, 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frackel View Post
Glad to meet you, and Welcome

I'm Michelle. I have three kiddos.. Alexis is almost 14, Alyssia is 11 and Leo is 8. They are technically in 8th, 5th and 3rd, but really they are in 8/12(soon, we're working out of 11th lit. now) split, 5/9 split and 4/6 split. This is one of the positives when it comes to homeschooling, you can cater to their needs. In some areas my children are very advanced, in others they are below or on par with their age group. When kids are in in a brick and mortar school, while adaptations are available in some places, they are severely limited, or nonexistent in others. If you live somewhere like here, for instance, you'll get absolutely no help in either direction. In some areas even the help they can provide, is mediocre at best. Who wants mediocre?

I know sometimes the decision may not always seem right, and it's usually some outside influence making you feel that way. But the one thing I do have to say for that is this..

Is "normal" all you want for your children in life, outside of their education? If not, why would you settle for "normal" when it comes to education? And how do you define "normal"?
That's not my way of saying that brick and mortar schools are all bad. In fact my kids attended them until the beginning of the 2010 school year. But what they were getting was typical(well, worse really, but we have a terrible school system here). What I wanted for them was "normal", aka, the best. That just so happens to be right here at home, with me.

Other people's idea of what's normal is vastly different from mine. I don't consider an education from a brick and mortar school as "normal". I define that as "typical", as that's exactly what it is, the option typically chosen. If we want what's normal than it would be whatever is best for each individual child. That should be how we define normal. But more times than not, that's not what people mean when they say it. They mean typical.
Homeschool families get to socialize, go on field trips and outings, can take standardized tests if they choose, can continue education into the college years, participate in other extracurricular activities, etc.. etc.. There are no limits to what we can do. Despite what people think. Socialization is the biggest one of all, I think. But really, kids in brick and mortar schools aren't there to socialize either, ask any teacher Sitting in a room with like aged peers is not what I'd consider socialization. I want my children to be able to be social with peers of all ages. Again, this is a positive effect of homeschooling.
Some of us truly are homebodies and don't get out much. But that doesn't exclude us entirely from all the things people say brick and mortar schools offer and homeschooled kids can't/don't get. Most people get out much more than we do, lol.

Please don't feel bad if you ever feel overwhelmed, or as if you're in over your head. That is something that happens to most, if not all, at some point. No one ever said getting, or giving, an education, should be easy. I kinda like the rough spots, the what ifs, the is this really rights, etc... They make all the awesome points, even more awesome.

Today for instance, no one around here has school. There is a lot of power out, downed trees and lines and severe damage from the storms. We had 1/4 power for over 5 hours earlier. We could have just as easily taken the day off. In fact, I was going to. My kids, on the other hand, had a different idea. They took today to work on figuring out this major storm. They used various maps, weather sites, news stations, almanacs, books we own and other websites too. Totally their idea, totally lead by them and they totally loved it. It evolved into a day of discussing weather phenomenon. It may come across nerdy to some, but I'm glad that even when they don't have to, they enjoy learning enough that they're still willing to do it. On their own is just icing on the cake, lol. I can guess that most of the kids not in school today, didn't spend a lick of that time thinking about their education(may or may not be a bad thing). School is school, home is home, other places are other places to them. But for us, school is everywhere. I really love that

I lost my train of thought all of a sudden. We'll have to blame the migraine meds for that one. I should go take a nap, lol. But, if I think of anything more to add, I'll come back, I know I had something else to say.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!! This is just what I needed. A real point of view from someone who is living it and understands it. My hesitation is definitely coming from outside influence and I want my kids to be anything but "typical". I really think homeschooling will wive them something they just won't get in a brick and mortar school. The more I read on it and really do my homework the more I know it's the right choice for my children. And your so right, they are not at school to socialize. I never gave that a thought but how are they socializing?? It's mainly sitting and listening all day. I found this to be true even with myself taking online college classes. I socialize more with my classmates then I ever did when I attended classes onsite at the University. Your kids really seem to enjoy learning and thats what I want, for my children to WANT to learn even when they dont HAVE to. We are very much homebodies also but I enjoy being home and the kids never complain lol. Thanks so much for your sharing your thoughts and experience with me.

October 31st, 2012, 05:59 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hello, Nikki I'm Sara, mom to 3 kids and mostly a lurker here these days. I just wanted to say welcome to the board!

Michelle said it really well, so I won't add to it, but for us the best part of homeschooling is how it can be tailored and adjusted for each of the children. I have an extremely advanced daughter who just turned 5 and is flying through 1st Grade, when she wouldn't even qualify for kindergarten yet in the public school system. She would be bored out of her mind in public school. Here at home, I am able to challenge her and keep her learning.
My older son is 3 and is just starting to get into preschool, and I'm letting him take his time. At 3 my daughter was already bored with preschool, so I can already see the difference in their learning abilities, lol
Hope you have time to stick around! The ladies here are very knowledgeable and inspirational.

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

October 31st, 2012, 02:03 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Normal is going to walmart and buying a box of factory-made plates for your kitchen. Unique is going to a craft fair and buying a set of hand-made plates that visitors will ooh and ahh over.

Normal is submitting a resume that looks exactly like the previous 30 the recruiter threw away. Unique is getting the job.

Welcome back! I remember you. Yes, on some occasions I'll look at other kids and think "wow... my kids are weird", but MOST of the time, I look at other kids and think how blessed mine are to be at home. They don't have to learn about sex education on the playground when they're 5. They don't have to get beat up and called names on the bus. They don't have to walk in a single-file line through a children's museum while an adult plays with everything and explains how it works (this actually happened to us on Monday... felt so sorry for the school group who was there watching my kids play and explore and learn on their own). If public school is the definition of socialization, I want no part of it. I want my kids to be who THEY want to be, not who their peers shape them into being. I have no regrets about homeschooling. None! My kids interact with a variety of people - all cultures, ages, sexes, etc. - each day, not just 25 kids who happen to share their year of birth.
November 1st, 2012, 08:01 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
I have nothing to add, but I wanted to say that I completely agree with the other ladies! I'm Chantelle, SAHM to four children- Alyssa (5), Rylan (3.5), Sophia (16 months), and Hannah (8 weeks).
November 1st, 2012, 09:04 PM
E
Quote:
Originally Posted by BensMom View Post
Normal is going to walmart and buying a box of factory-made plates for your kitchen. Unique is going to a craft fair and buying a set of hand-made plates that visitors will ooh and ahh over.

Normal is submitting a resume that looks exactly like the previous 30 the recruiter threw away. Unique is getting the job.

Welcome back! I remember you. Yes, on some occasions I'll look at other kids and think "wow... my kids are weird", but MOST of the time, I look at other kids and think how blessed mine are to be at home. They don't have to learn about sex education on the playground when they're 5. They don't have to get beat up and called names on the bus. They don't have to walk in a single-file line through a children's museum while an adult plays with everything and explains how it works (this actually happened to us on Monday... felt so sorry for the school group who was there watching my kids play and explore and learn on their own). If public school is the definition of socialization, I want no part of it. I want my kids to be who THEY want to be, not who their peers shape them into being. I have no regrets about homeschooling. None! My kids interact with a variety of people - all cultures, ages, sexes, etc. - each day, not just 25 kids who happen to share their year of birth.
Very well said! This is also my thoughts about homeschooling. I don't want them experiencing public school life. The mean kids, the ones with no home training, then foul language many young kids already use and just the all around crap that goes on. I thought I was sheltering them too much but I see now that many of you have the same idea and your children sound like they are doing just fine. Very encouraging being here with you all.

Last edited by PrettyMommy; November 1st, 2012 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Typo

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search