Did the election affect your homeschooling?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 7th, 2012, 05:22 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Did you make a lesson out of it? Did your kids "vote" (either with you or at home)? Did you mourn or party as the results came in? Anything?
November 7th, 2012, 06:16 AM
Regular
I took the girls with me to vote, and they did the kids voting. We talked about the election and I received feedback from my kids on what they thought. My kids understand that more than 2 political parties exist, because I'm a Libertarian. My heart isn't broken over the election, it's just another day to me.

Nancy
November 7th, 2012, 02:00 PM
Sandra314's Avatar Homeschooling Mom
Send a message via Yahoo to Sandra314
We discussed the elections but did not make a lesson out of it.

Married for 14+ years to the love of my life. Currently TTCing.
November 7th, 2012, 11:02 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
We discussed government and the election process, but not because of the election. It's part of our government lessons, so regardless, we would have discussed it.
The presidential election itself didn't really spark anything out of the ordinary as far as lessons go, I don't think. Though we did talk about it, it wasn't for any specific lesson. In fact I don't think it was really during school at all. Just random conversations.(yes, I know, technically could be considered a lesson, but it wasn't for us, lol) Some of the other issues interested my kids, oddly none had to do with the actual political races, more the local ones. We spent way more time discussing those. They think it's sad the local levy failed once again. Now the schools here will be cutting even more, almost all busing for k-8(which screws over a HUGE population of this town because they moved the schools to the middle of nowhere, I have no clue what these families will do come January), all extracurricular activities at middle and elementary levels, nearly all extra anything(including all field trips), ALL busing for high school-again the middle of nowhere, and so much more. It's really pathetic that...
A-They'd propose such a levy after spending millions on building new schools they didn't need(and cannot possibly fill to even half capacity, thereby wasting resources, and putting them where they'd fall out of the range of what Ohio requires for busing-which is 2 miles and only required for k-8), wasting money on sports crap, not to mention the economy here is really bad and cannot uphold such a proposal.
B-They didn't even attempt to find other measures four years ago when they discovered this levy would be necessary. They've had four years to fix crap(and I believe this is the 6th levy failed), and haven't, and now they're scrambling. Who suffers? The kids. Not the teachers(no offense, but, yeah, they don't exactly hire the top of the bunch here, that's not to say all teachers suck, but a lot here really don't give a crap anymore, it's a **** system and it shows in their work as much as how things are run), certainly not the administration-they live high on the hog here.
I know the public schools really have no effect on us, but it still intrigues me. I've been watching them slowly kill this school system since 2004, and now they've surpassed everyone's worst nightmare. It's a royal mess. Makes me glad I yanked the kids when I did. But at the same time, makes me sad for this entire community. Someone needs to slap this administration with a stop-being-so-****-stupid stick.

As for how I feel about the presidential election...YAY, and now we continue living life as usual...and that's all I'll say on that part. I learned my lesson on politics here on JM years ago
November 8th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We watched a school house rock video on the electorial college.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search