Curriculum Help

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BensMom

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 7th, 2012, 11:01 PM
Super Mommy
Hi ladies,

I was wondering what you would recommend for a 4th grade reading program?

Also, I need to find a grammar program but I have no idea what grade level for. We will be homeschooling my ss14 but he is severely behind academically. He has not had a formal writing program ever and has trouble even with basic rules like capitalizing sentences, what a noun is, etc. So first grade maybe? What would you recommend there?

Thank you so much!

November 8th, 2012, 09:21 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Do you want Christian, secular, or it doesn't matter?

For reading, are you looking for phonics, comprehension, or what exactly? What about spelling and vocabulary?
November 8th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I love Rod & Staff English. My kids are using their second and third grade programs this year, and the grammar lessons are very thorough.
November 8th, 2012, 09:55 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Ditto... we also use R&S. It's very Christian-heavy, though, so some people don't like that. Their reading program is good, too. R&S English is very repetitive in grades 2-4, but 5th steps up the challenge quite a bit. It only goes through 10th, but the 9th and 10th grade books are college level. You only need to go through 8th for most kids, and the books can be stretched across two years and/or repeated if necessary. For a child who isn't strong in language and doesn't really need college prep materials, I'd recommend starting the 5th grade book in 5th grade and taking 2 years to cover each of the 5th thru 8th grade books.

A good writing program is Writing Strands, because it's not done by grade level. Each book is for multiple levels, and you move onto the next book whenever you're ready, regardless of age or grade. (If you're looking for spelling, Sequential Spelling is the same way... everyone starts with book 1, no matter what grade you're in).
Countrymom4 likes this.

Last edited by BensMom; November 8th, 2012 at 09:58 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search