Which HSing program do you use?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 19th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Avery'smommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
im looking into it, and would like a few recommendations
December 19th, 2012, 02:16 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Do you mean curriculum or school type (umbrella, private, university model, etc.)? I'm not sure what you're asking for.

I'm in Texas, so there aren't really any requirements here. I don't have to report to anyone or use an umbrella program or anything like that. For now, we mix and match curriculum that best suits each child individually. I've tried using a boxed set, but none work for us. In the future, we'll probably do some homeschooling and some university model homeschooling through an academy. Dh wants the kids to be in more group learning environments, and I definitely don't want them in PS.
December 20th, 2012, 02:12 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
We use a mesh. My daughter uses Time4Learning.com and my son uses abcmouse.com and I use the info from those lessons and go from there. I made my own science and social studies curriculum, we use Scott Foresman Grammar and Writing, we use Lifeprint ASL lessons, Calvary Bible Curriculum, and I make sure the kids read a minimum of one hour every day (they must match their screen time with book time).

We cover many other topics, but it's stuff I just teach out of thin air- stuff like penmanship, sewing, knitting/crochet, guitar, etc.

December 21st, 2012, 04:57 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
The boys use Calvert School. The three older kids use Teaching Textbooks for math. My oldest is past Calvert now so she uses Monarch (Alpha Omega) for science, social studies, and Spanish, IEW for writing and grammar, and various literature guides for reading.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

December 21st, 2012, 07:20 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My oldest uses Horizons Phonics, Horizons Spelling, Abeka Math, Abeka Language and Lifepacs for science and history. My 4 yr old is doing Abeka K4 right now.

7/24/12
10/09/12
December 21st, 2012, 03:11 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
We don't use any one system or curriculum. We used to use K12 as a base. But the umbrella school we were under(making K12 free for us) decided to do some policy changes and it leaned too much towards PS, which I wasn't fond of. So we dropped them. It came out of nowhere and all I can say is I am grateful I only used it as a base, and did the majority of my teaching from materials not obtained through them.
We've been basically doing a hodge podge ever since. Though I do still use K12's basic guidelines, if you really want to call them that, as a basis for what we learn and when. Or rather what is a good round about timeline for certain things. That probably makes more sense in my head than in text form, lol.
I use a mixture of various materials, not so much worrying which company created them. As long as we have these subjects covered, I'm perfectly ok with not having a set system(because rarely are they inexpensive and, well, frankly, that's a huge factor for me right now).

Math-Algebra, Geometry, Calculus, Trigonometry

Language Arts-English, GUM, Composition, Literature, Writing, Poetry, Test Readiness(because we do state testing),Analogies, Greek and Latin Vocabulary, Vocabulary, Spelling(yes I separate vocab and spelling, lol)

Science-Chemistry, Biology, Botany, Astronomy, Geology-and a wide range of other Science related topics

History-World, US and Ohio-we include current events in this

Foreign Language-we're currently doing Spanish, French is next

Music-this is a very broad subject, but covers everything from music history to playing instruments.

Physical Education-at least some every day(when possible)

Art-not just Arts and Crafts, we actually study Art and Art History

Technology-including computers of course

Humanities-including service projects, learning how others survive on minimal, and things like that, which aren't covered in history or current events.

We have other things we cover too, things that would probably fall more under self sufficiency than anything else, and some misc. I wouldn't know how to categorize, lol. We also don't do every single thing/subject, every single day. But I do cover the top 4 or 5 pretty much daily. The top three being the most important.

I may have forgotten a thing or two in my list, dealing with a nasty flu right now Leo decided to share with me, lol.
December 21st, 2012, 03:12 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Sorry it double posted for me. Weird forum
December 30th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Regular
I used Seton Home Study for 3 years, I might go back to the program when my oldest starts 9th grade. I put together my girls curriculum this year, but I used mostly Seton Home Study books. It is a challenging fast paced program.

Nancy
January 10th, 2013, 11:42 PM
IronMamma's Avatar Intactivist
I do not plan to use one. DH and I plan to mix and match since we will be in Texas. They are pretty laid back there.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my perfect siggy

Want to find a calmer way to parent? Please visit here HINTA Hitting Is Never The Answer
Gentle parenting is about guiding instead of controlling,
connecting instead of punishing,
and encouraging instead of demanding.
It's about listening, understanding, responding and communicating.

)O( Peace on Earth begins at Home )O(

January 11th, 2013, 07:27 AM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
we plan to mix and match as well. A full one actually appeals to me more, but im canadian and there doesnt seem to be one with canadian content, bummer there but i have found lots of good individual subjects from canadian publishers so im quite happy with that

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search