Homechooling Updates!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 25th, 2006, 12:00 PM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
So, for those of us who are out of school for the summer, how are your plans going for returning to school? When do you plan to go back? Are you going to do anything fun for the first day of school? For those of us who school year-round, how are things going for you? When do you plan for your next break? Are you coming upon any milestones - finishing a project or curriculum?</span>

<span style="color:#993399">For us, we are out for the summer and will go back at the end of August. I\'ve got a mental plan of attack for next year, but haven\'t yet purchased the things that I need. I\'m starting to get that "back to school" feeling and am looking forward to going back, but I\'m not ready quite yet, so it\'s a good thing that it\'s still a little ways off! Man, this summer has FLOWN!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

July 25th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
We went back to school today after a 3 week break for Fritz's birth and moving to the townhouse. Ani was so excited to be back to school. It was one of the first things she asked for this morning when she got up. We'll take our next break the end of August/early September (around Labor Day).

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

July 25th, 2006, 03:26 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh wow heather you move and have a baby and only take 3 weeks off your some super mum!

Quote:
For those of us who school year-round, how are things going for you?[/b]
We did take a couple of weeks off during the end of semester holidays. We are back doing our apple theme using the FIAR book 'How to make an apple pie and see the world' . We made some 'stained glass apples' yesterday were you put red, green and yellow tissue paper on waxed paper apple shapes and hang them up in a window. That was a hit and dd made a 'map' as well (that shes trying to roll up) of the places the girl in the book went to. She's been watching this Dora dvd my friend lent me as we had never seen it (Dora) before, it has a rolled up map on there, so now dd thinks all maps should be rolled up lol. The day before we body painted an apple tree. Her arm was the trunk, hands the leaves and fingers the apples. That turned out really well. I should take a photo. I also have some apple cards with yellow, red and green apples in 4 diffrent sizes to sort and play games with. I love free stuff they came from one of my yahoo groups that shares files. We are going to end this theme by cooking an apple pie from scratch.

We just break when dd dosn't want to do school, or I don't feel like it lol. So there not normaly planed for, they just happen. After this hmm maybe a letter R theme? I make that up as I go along too.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
July 26th, 2006, 07:08 AM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm still whittling away at my plans and stuff. I have one more workbook that I am looking for. I am now working on the lesson plans for Science for all three of them. After that, I will have only their Language and Math plans to do. I am planning on starting back in about 4 weeks...one week after the public school goes back.
July 26th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I LOVE the body paint tree idea! So cute!

As for us, we're going to be officially starting our 1st day on August 7. Just 12 more days! I'm amazed I was able to hold ds back that long. He's been so excited about doing this, especially since all his books came in. I've been working on plans, etc. I'm just about done. I still want to go through and make some tentative plans for field trips, though.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

July 26th, 2006, 11:57 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Me, I'm a slacker. I keep trying to get it together to start something back up. Our plans are to do math & reading through the summer (which we have off and on). Then I'd like to start everything else back about September.

Teresa

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
July 26th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Well, Teresa, I'm glad I'm not the ONLY slacker around here!

July 26th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have Newbie excitement so I can't wait to get started! If I can gather the funds to order all of our curriculum (or even some of it) then we'll start in the next couple of weeks I think. I'm hoping if I start out early, then I won't feel as guilty if I take extra time off during the school year.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
July 31st, 2006, 06:19 PM
dingledine's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to dingledine Send a message via Yahoo to dingledine
We plan on going back the last week of August, or first week of September. I was going to start on the 23rd, but we are making an emergency trip down to Georgia to visit my Dad, so we won't be back by then. So, probably the following Monday. We have all of our stuff, I just need to organize it like I want it. I have found that if I don't do the organizing and planning, stuff just doesn't get done like it should.

Jewelry for yourself, or for a friend. Breastfeeding aides, beautiful bracelets, earings and more.

Store.beadsarebeautiful.com
July 31st, 2006, 06:58 PM
I think we'll go back the first Monday in September - although, as Motherbird said, going back a bit earlier would remove "extra day off" guilt!
I need to get my act together and at LEAST figure out when we're going to take time off for Christmas and things like that. DH has a week of vacation in November, so we'll be off that week because we're going to Branson...I just don't want to end up short on days like we did last year. I wasn't too worried about it because it was Kindergarten, but I don't want it to become a habit!!
So, I've now got a place to start!! Thanks, gals! I'm beginning to get excited about going back!

August 1st, 2006, 01:09 PM
Phoenix Rising's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are hoping to start back during the first week of September - and praying really had that we have also MOVED at that point as well.

As far as planning goes, I have my science worked out for most of the year as well as art and music. I know how much we have to do daily for each class in order to complete it by the end of the year and I have all of my curriculum put together.

I still want to go through SOTW and figure out what projects we want to try and do throughout the year so that I can plan ahead as far as materials go. I also want to start doing some more solid planning.

For example, lets say I want to have 200 school days for the year. I want to then plan out what I want to do each of those days. This way, lets say Tuesday, day #67 ends up being a sick day, we can just bump it to the next day because the days are numbered rather than dated. Make sense?

Anyway, I am feeling VERY overwhelmed about starting schooling when we are also trying to pack and sell the house on top of all the other things we are in the midst of. Last year we did alot unschooling and it just made my guilt compound daily (even though it was working suprisingly well).
August 1st, 2006, 02:41 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow some of you plan for an entire year How can you know what you will get done and how much to put on a given day. That would drive me I basicly write up a theme and it gets done as it gets done. Next year (Jan probably) I plan to add in MUS and Alphabet Island Phonics but I can still see us doing it as we feel like it, which takes as long as it takes. When I do a theme I look ahead to what I need and sometimes have it all before I start but quite frequently I am buying a suply a day or two before it's needed.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
August 1st, 2006, 03:33 PM
Quote:
Wow some of you plan for an entire year How can you know what you will get done and how much to put on a given day. That would drive me I basicly write up a theme and it gets done as it gets done. Next year (Jan probably) I plan to add in MUS and Alphabet Island Phonics but I can still see us doing it as we feel like it, which takes as long as it takes. When I do a theme I look ahead to what I need and sometimes have it all before I start but quite frequently I am buying a suply a day or two before it's needed.[/b]
Yeah, I'm amazed myself! I do good to plan a week in advance, let alone an entire year! I've got a basic idea of what I want to do - math, reading, spelling and grammar, writing, and small history and science unit studies thrown in here and there - but, other than that, I'm WINGING it!! And, frankly, it's a little scary. I keep trying to get Sherri (myfairladies) to plan my year for me, but she won't . But, we'll end up doing ok anyway!

I WISH I could get it together enough to plan farther in advance. I'm sure I will in future years, once we add in "official" science and social studies and history.

August 2nd, 2006, 08:11 AM
Frelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to Frelle Send a message via AIM to Frelle Send a message via Yahoo to Frelle
we started back 3 weeks ago. We are doing English for the Thoughtful Child, Christian Light math, and Classical Conversations as far as curriculum. I need a phonics.

We are taking more breaks, at the suggestion of her physical and occupational therapists, they think she can focus better if we give her breaks for some exercise, and be more comfortable because of her low tone, she just tires out ands lumps around really easily, not to be difficult, but because of her lack of muscle tone in her back and hips and stuff. Things I never knew before her eval this spring.

Anyway, things are going ok. Im doing 3x a week for now, going to increase to 4 by month end. Just easing back in.

Thank you BAM for my signature!!

August 2nd, 2006, 08:26 AM
HEY EMO! Good to hear from you! I'm glad things are going well. We're going back at the end of August, so I need to get in gear!

August 2nd, 2006, 09:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm such a slacker... I haven't even ordered my stuff yet. I'm still busy trying get used to having to take care of three little ones! I better get my butt in gear.
August 2nd, 2006, 01:28 PM
Quote:
I'm such a slacker... I haven't even ordered my stuff yet. I'm still busy trying get used to having to take care of three little ones! I better get my butt in gear.[/b]
Well, I think that you have a valid excuse! I mean, I've not ordered MY stuff yet either, and I DON'T have a new baby!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search