Back to School!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 3rd, 2013, 08:33 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
(1) Did you take time off over the past few weeks? Do anything fun?

(2) When are you starting back to school?

(3) What will be your focus of study this semester? Is this mid-year for you or the beginning of a new school year?
January 3rd, 2013, 11:24 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
(1) Did you take time off over the past few weeks? Do anything fun? Yes, we took about 3 weeks off. We didn't do much, just the regular holiday stuff.

(2) When are you starting back to school? We start back on Monday (the 9th).

(3) What will be your focus of study this semester? Is this mid-year for you or the beginning of a new school year? It's mid-year for us. We're starting a hooked on phonics curriculum/Explode the Code (my oldest will be doing phonics, and my next will be starting Getting Ready for the Code), my oldest will be working on addition and starting subtraction, and we're starting a unit study about pioneers (which I'm VERY excited for!).
January 3rd, 2013, 12:24 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
(1) Did you take time off over the past few weeks? Do anything fun? Yep we took some time off. We took most of December off actually. Not necessarily for the holidays, but because we'd already finished our first semester.

(2) When are you starting back to school? Next week sometime, dunno when. Depends on how we're feeling. Leo and I have been pretty sick.

(3) What will be your focus of study this semester? Is this mid-year for you or the beginning of a new school year? No specific focus, just continuing on what we've already been doing. We'll be starting the second semester and should be finishing up for the year around April/May.
January 3rd, 2013, 01:20 PM
Regular

We took off almost two weeks because my parents came for Christmas. We mainly just spent time at home, with a little shopping in the city. We went to Pittsburgh the weekend after Christmas because Susie had to dance in a Feis. She took 3rd place in her Reel. We planned to spend another day in Pittsburgh, but the snow storm caused use to leave early.

We started back yesterday, but we are taking this week to review past lessons.

(3) What will be your focus of study this semester? Is this mid-year for you or the beginning of a new school year?

Our semester will end in four weeks. I'm adding American History to our lesson plan for the next semester. I'm also scraping our Physical Science, for Botany. It will be fun to add Botany with Spring only 3 months away.

I'm planning a few more field trips for the first half of the year. We have another Feis in Ohio in February, so I'm looking for a field trip in Ohio too.

Nancy
January 3rd, 2013, 01:28 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
(1) Did you take time off over the past few weeks? Do anything fun? Yep, took a couple of weeks off. We went to AR to see my family and DFW to see his family.

(2) When are you starting back to school? We'll start Monday.

(3) What will be your focus of study this semester? Is this mid-year for you or the beginning of a new school year? This is mid-year for us. The only change is that we do a book per semester for science, so we'll be starting the water zoology book from Apologia.
January 3rd, 2013, 01:36 PM
Veteran
We only took off the few days DH had off work. I guess it's mid year for us and I suppose our focus this semester will be Khmer language and culture.
January 3rd, 2013, 06:51 PM
bookworm16_2000's Avatar Mom to Allison and JR

We took off from Thanksgiving until next week from our regular lessons but we did holiday fun stuff (crafts, coloring, and cooking) but we stayed home.

We'll start back on Monday

We are focusing on sight words and handwriting this semester. Allison's math skills are tremendous but she drags her feet for Language Arts. We are mid-year and on course to finish up mid-April to start our summer semester in May.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the terrific siggy!

My Blog
January 4th, 2013, 03:28 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
Yes, we take off from Thanksgiving till after the new year.

We're starting back on Monday. She's going to be starting the 3rd grade in most subjects.

January 6th, 2013, 09:26 PM
Erin.minus.thyroid's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
we took off the entire month of December and the first week of January. We moved and then traveled for the holidays. Its been very busy!

Monday we start back

This is mid-year for us. we are really going to focus on a set schedule this semester. Homeschooling is new to us and the first semester was very challenging in terms of getting full days of class.
DD born 1/3/12

January 7th, 2013, 01:09 PM
Eowyn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We took December off of scheduled school.
(2) When are you starting back to school? Our first day was today.

We start our new year in January.
DD has moved onto a lot of first grade materials over the winter and we're starting some fun new World History curriculum and Im excited to begin composer/artist studies this year with the kids. We started a loose math curriculum over the the last few months but am just working at DD's own pace for now.
DS is starting early phonics and letter writing and loving it!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search