Wonderful Wednesday

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 26th, 2006, 05:42 AM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
What is the most wonderful idea that you have had for your school room/area? Or, what is the most wonderful project/lesson that you have done with your kids?

As for my school room, our table sits long-ways up against the wall and I have several different baskets against the wall for organizing my planner and books and our stamp pad that we use and all sorts of things that I need to have at arms reach during our day. It's nice to not have to get up each time I need to get something!

As a lesson idea, I took all of the simple "stories" from the lessons that we have done so far in "The Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading", typed them up, and put them in a folder like a book. For reading practice, I have Reilly pick a page to read (they each have three or four little "stories" on them) and when she gets done, she puts a stamp on that page. She has to pick a page that doesn't have a stamp on it, so that way she gets lots of practivce and reinforcement!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

July 26th, 2006, 07:35 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
The best idea for the school room is putting Fritz's cradle next to my desk. When he's sleeping I can put him in there and still see him and get to him easily if/when he wakes up.

That's a great idea for the books. I'll have to remember that when Cameron starts learning to read.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

July 26th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For the school room, the best idea is the cabinet dh built for me. I wanted it just big enough to hold our books and crafting supplies. He made it quite a lot bigger, and now it holds ALL of our school stuff, as well as all my own personal crafting/sewing supplies and our old VCR tapes (which are seldom used anymore thanks to DVD's ) and still has plenty of room for more junk! He also put little locks in the doors to keep the kiddos out of it. My younger ones would just love to get hold of the scissors, glue, & paint without supervision!

Since we haven't really started our school year yet, I haven't had any really brilliant ideas for lessons....yet!
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

July 26th, 2006, 01:59 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Ok, here's an idea we have. I take all their misspelled words from their writing and put them in a bucket. At lunch time they each pull out five words and spell them. I put tally marks on the papers in the bucket. Once they get 10 tally marks the word comes out of the bucket.

Sorry don't have any school room ideas.

Teresa

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
July 26th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My bright idea so far is to buy another bookcase. I haven't officially started homeschooling yet so I haven't made too many decisions about it yet. I'm still trying to decide if the dining room is going to serve as our school room, but I'm pretty sure it will. Trouble is the two bookcases in there are already way full and I know we're going to collect a TON of books this year, so I'm getting a third bookcase just for homeschooling stuff.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
July 26th, 2006, 03:47 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Definatly a built in wall unit of shelves and cupboards. Just mention it to dh and I get back 'what wall unit'
So that may be a long time coming *sigh*

As for lessons my croc game has always been a hit. I have kind of refined that and printed out a big green monster face. (from the book 'Go away big green monster!') I glued him to cardboard and cut out his mouth so he can be feed.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
July 26th, 2006, 06:10 PM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
Quote:
Ok, here's an idea we have. I take all their misspelled words from their writing and put them in a bucket. At lunch time they each pull out five words and spell them. I put tally marks on the papers in the bucket. Once they get 10 tally marks the word comes out of the bucket.
Teresa[/b]
I had completely fogotten about this game! Reilly LOVES the croc game!! Actually, Declan loves it as well - we do shapes and colors for him, and words with Reilly. I can\'t wait to play it again!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search