Are you taking today off?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 21st, 2013, 10:32 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Is MLK, Jr. Day a holiday for you?
January 21st, 2013, 02:19 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
We did take the day off, but not for MLK day. It's a blizzard out here. We lost power on and off last night and early this morning. We're good now but totally being slammed by Lake Effect. It's real nasty and supposed to stay real nasty until late Wednesday.
The kids were outside earlier, but didn't last too long, lol.

Thankfully if we DO lose power again, we have a generator, and plenty of gas.
January 21st, 2013, 08:33 PM
bookworm16_2000's Avatar Mom to Allison and JR
We didn't but Allison loves school so much that I barely get to take weekends off, much less a holiday!

Thanks to Claire1979 for the terrific siggy!

My Blog
January 21st, 2013, 09:36 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I've been gone to a conference all weekend. Dh was off today, so he kinda watched the kids off and on while I did business inventory, groceries, and laundry. The kids mostly took the day off.

We'll have a weird couple of weeks... school is just Tue, Wed, & Thur this week. We're going to a birthday party Friday for another homeschooled kid. Next week, I'll be working out of town Mon & Tue, so dh will be home. I'll leave a few assignments, but really, we'll just have school Wed & Thur next week. We'll have friends over on Friday.
January 21st, 2013, 11:08 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Pretty soon we'll be having a lot of dr appointments, so our schooling will be pretty chaotic.
That's definitely one thing I don't miss about them being in PS, having to explain and get excuses for every.single.day.off. And then not being able to always take off when needed, just because. I mean, really, who doesn't need a mental health day now and again?

Considering how many appointments we have, and the fact that when Alyssia gets sick she's usually out of commission for a good couple weeks not just a day or two...it got to be a royal pain. They even tried to take me to truancy court once, lol. Well once for each girl, so, twice. Idiots, lol. The court officer told me to make sure to bring medical records. I brought in 3 six inch thick binders, who knows how many folders, and a small tote full of other papers. The judge laughed and said "usually, we waive these things anyway, the policy is stupid, but I can see you've planned for everything". That's where the "trial" ended, the first time. The second time, we didn't even get that far. I think the school gave up even bothering to try after that.
January 22nd, 2013, 03:52 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
We took the day off. It was also Aidan's 4th birthday, so we just went to an inflatable jumpy place.

January 23rd, 2013, 05:17 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
We didn't, we live in Canada and I just never thought. Otherwise, we probably would have.
January 23rd, 2013, 08:34 AM
Erin.minus.thyroid's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
we did not take the day off but we did use it as a field trip day. We are kind of behind since we took all of december off so i didnt want to just take off another day. My son knew all the other schools were closed because that weekend was my DDs bday party and some of his friends attended and they mentioned being off school Monday. He insisted that he should be off too. I decided a field trip to the museum would be good enough because he loves the museum and it would still be educational. It turned out to be good and bad, first they had special programming for the kids that they usually dont have because it was a holiday from school. The bad though, it was super crowded. We are members of our museum and we usually go in the middle of the day during the week and its usually just us and a few people with preschoolers/toddlers. I prefer to not have the crowds but DS had fun with the special programs so it was good.
DD born 1/3/12

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search