Pets!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 26th, 2006, 12:35 PM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
Who here has pets? Do you take care of them or do you have your kids do the work?

We have two dogs, a toy poodle named JoJo and a Norwegian Elkhound named Holly. I've recently started having Reilly feed them each day, so that's one of her "chores". And she's even gotten to the point where she doesn't complain when I remind her to feed them!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

July 26th, 2006, 02:33 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have two cats, lol can you maybe tell I'm a cat person... We also have 3 pet chooks. (thats chickens for you yanks) My dd often gives the cats some cat biscuits, and loves to feed bread to the chooks. The pen is low so dd also goes in to get any eggs.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
July 26th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Ooooo, OT (but that's typical for me, right?), do fresh eggs really taste that much better than store bought eggs?

July 26th, 2006, 02:55 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
the colour can be diffrent, but I can't tell by the taste. When we get store bought I only buy free range or barn eggs though. I refuse to buy battery ones.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
July 26th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have a little house dog, Dottie. She's half rat terrier/half Jack Russell. The boys all take turns each day making sure she has food & water. This is something we just recently started. Up til now, dh or I would do it.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

July 26th, 2006, 05:27 PM
Quote:
We have a little house dog, Dottie. She's half rat terrier/half Jack Russell. The boys all take turns each day making sure she has food & water. This is something we just recently started. Up til now, dh or I would do it.[/b]
Wow - rat terrier and JRT! Now that's some dggie energy!

July 27th, 2006, 06:31 AM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Wow - rat terrier and JRT! Now that's some dggie energy![/b]
Yeah, no kidding! She's very, um, playful. But she's really smart and minds better than the kids.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

July 28th, 2006, 08:04 AM
persephonewillow's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
we have one cat, Burban. she's a funny old lady cat... all 'prim and proper'. she even walks with an proper lady wiggle. LOL.

the kids are supposed to take care of her, but they don't do it all. SO has taken over cleaning her litter box every garbage day, cuts her nails and brushes her...

my son is really good about making sure her food dish is full.

my daughter just likes to pick her up and pretend she's the kind of cat that likes to be carried around and cuddled (Burban is too 'proper' to like being carried around like that LOL)
<div align="center"><span style="color:#663366">I reject your reality and substitute my own. - Adam Savage
</div>
<div align="center"></div>
July 28th, 2006, 08:07 AM
Quote:
we have one cat, Burban. she's a funny old lady cat... all 'prim and proper'. she even walks with an proper lady wiggle. LOL.

the kids are supposed to take care of her, but they don't do it all. SO has taken over cleaning her litter box every garbage day, cuts her nails and brushes her...

my son is really good about making sure her food dish is full.

my daughter just likes to pick her up and pretend she's the kind of cat that likes to be carried around and cuddled (Burban is too 'proper' to like being carried around like that LOL)[/b]
LOL, we had a cat like that! Her name was Pepper and I always said that she was a very "catly" cat - she liked to be in the same room as we were in, but didn't like too much affection lavished on her. She'd tolerate it, but would look for the first opportunity to get down!
*sigh* I miss having cats! DH is allergic, but he HAS said that he'd be OK with another cat because Reilly REALLY wants one! So, hopefully we'll have another one soon!

July 28th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Phoenix Rising's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have two dogs... a cockapoo named Maggie and a German Shepard named Justice. Justice is a very "manly" dog. No baby talk for him or he will walk away in disgust. LOL

We had five cats but my mom abducted one when her cat died and we had to get one put to sleep so we are down to three: Ammon, socket and velcro. Velcro is pretty cool because he is the size of about a 4 month old kitten but he will be a year old in August.

We also have a canary named Kokkinos.

In the past year we have had gerbils: Snowstorm, Noah, Burble, Ginger and Nerbil all of which died as well as a budgie named Honey.

I want me a bunny rabbit but DH says NO MORE PETS!

Party pooper.

Oh, and yes my girls take care of the animals... clean the kitty litter, pooper scoop, feed them etc.
August 1st, 2006, 02:43 PM
Regular
What are good dogs for children?
August 1st, 2006, 03:22 PM
Well, we have a Norwegian Elkhound that we got when Reilly was 2 and a half and she's a GREAT dog with kids. Holly (the dog) is very tough and strong, so she's a great dog to roughhouse with, but she's super gentle if either of the kids is trying to play with her. She's big enough to be "intimidating" should an intruder try to come in, but she's not huge. She's a fantastic dog!

August 1st, 2006, 05:52 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
We have fish. A 10 gallon tank. 6 tetras and 1 sucker. The kids feed them sometimes but usually Jamie does. I just like the noise the fish tank makes.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search