Can those of you that were homeschooled or that have older children help me out?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 31st, 2013, 08:58 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We didn't homeschool this year but are considering doing it again. My oldest DD is in the 3rd grade and is adamant about not homeschooling again, she loves PS. I am on the fence on whether I want to make her homeschool or let her continue on in PS. I would like opinions from kids that have graduated from homeschool, especially those who didn't necessarily want to homeschool to start with. I would appreciate it if you would either post the results to the questions here or send the to my inbox. Here are my questions.

Opinions on homeschooling from homeschoolers

1. Did/ do you like being homeschooled?

2. list the good and the bad…..

3. did you feel socially awkward when you went to college or trade school or whatever you may have done after graduating?

4. How is your social life now? Do you have a good core group of friends?

5. Do you feel like you missed out on important life experiences?

6. What were you feelings when your parents told you, you were going to be homeschooled? What are they now that you’ve graduated?

7. Do you feel like you got a good education? Has the good education benefited you now that you’re an adult? Do you feel like the education was really important or do you feel like you would have benefited more from other life experiences.
A-6yrs 3/08
J-4.5yrs 11/09
K 2.5yrs 9/11
And
L-7/12/14!!!!

January 31st, 2013, 12:19 PM
Eowyn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
1. Did/ do you like being homeschooled? I loved it, it suited me so well that I was the only one out of 5 of my siblings to homeschool exclusively. My brothers and sisters experienced both public and home school throughout their education.

For me it was all good. It suited me. I worked hard and liked to finish my school quickly and dedicate the rest of my time to my own interests. I was also able to get a job at 15 during the day because I could easily do school in the evening.
I felt like I was out in the world learning more real world experiences sooner-but not overly soon-than most kids my age. I graduated high school at 16 without a problem and continued studying college level subjects that interested me on my own.

3. did you feel socially awkward when you went to college or trade school or whatever you may have done after graduating?
Not at all. I felt like most of my public schooled friends were pretty immature and had no idea how the real world worked. Probably because of this my friends were mostly quite a few years older than me. I didnt see this as a 'con' though, I just found groups of friends that I could relate better to.

I have the same friends since gradeschool and a good handful friends I met in my adult life.

Some people might think so, I didnt go to dances or parties much(though I often was invited by friends in public school.) I had my own interests and pursued the sort of experiences I was interested in. I easily found others to share my own interests with.

6. What were you feelings when your parents told you, you were going to be homeschooled? What are they now that you’ve graduated?
I was always homeschooled but it was always an option to go to public school.
The idea of dragging out school all day that I could finish well before lunch hour seemed idiotic to me. For me I was always in sports so I never felt like I was isolated from other kids and experiences. Sitting in a class room was just never an experience I wanted to have! lol!
I am eternally grateful my parents were willing to homeschool me.
but thats just me, my brother HATED being homeschooled- just goes to show everyone is different I guess!

7. Do you feel like you got a good education? Has the good education benefited you now that you’re an adult? Do you feel like the education was really important or do you feel like you would have benefited more from other life experiences.

Honestly I feel like I got a better education being homeschooled because I got one on one attention. You cant pull off not paying attention in class when you are homeschooled.

DH was public schooled and sometimes I can't believe how little he knows in History & Geography but his math is very good- but then math is what he needs to know for his job.
i feel there are MORE opportunities for experiences outside of public school- but you have to seek them out, you don't have people planning them for you.

If your daughter is happier learning in public school but you'd rather she be homeschooled for whatever reason maybe see if she can do certain classes she enoys the most. My sister took 2 classes, 2 times a week at public school but the rest of her subects she did at home and she liked that very much.
February 2nd, 2013, 12:26 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Loved it!

I learned a ton and was truly ready for college (not all of my classmates were). I got to pursue things that I wouldn't have time for had I gone to school. I got to start college early. Can't think of anything bad.

Not at all. Most people are very shocked when they find/found out I was homeschooled (my older brother, however, was public schooled and extremely socially awkward... my older sister also was public schooled and was not... it's honestly a personality thing, not a school choice thing).

Fine. Yes.

Nope. I actually went to public school dances with friends even.

I was thrilled and still am.

Yes, a very good one. Yes. Education and other life experiences are not mutually exclusive. I know I got a much better education at home than I would've in public school, but I also got to do some things (like dances) at the public school because I had friends who were public schooled. I played in a community band and I did theater at the local community college. I had a job. I volunteered. Etc., etc., etc. I was even on a local cable station kids show! Homeschooling is the best of both worlds.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

February 4th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for your responses!
A-6yrs 3/08
J-4.5yrs 11/09
K 2.5yrs 9/11
And
L-7/12/14!!!!

February 23rd, 2013, 10:15 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I went to public school for years. I was bored a lot of the time and had to deal with bullies. Finally, early in my junior year, I started a self-study program. I finished 2 years of school in 3 months and graduated at 16, then went to college right away. During this time I also worked a full time job

for me, there were no bad sides to the self-study.

I've always felt that way, even though most of my education was through public school. I was also more mature than my peers and found it hard to make friends. Even in college, a lot of the people there during the day were like . . . still mentally in high school. I started going at night, which was mostly with adults, and felt a lot more comfortable.

I moved a lot growing up and now I live states away from the state I grew up in, so I only have a couple friends. I will say that, in my experience and observation, mixing school with socialization is not the way to go. I prefer school for school, and social events/settings for socializing.

No. I don't feel like public school offered any important lief experiences and once I started the self-study program there were a lot of important life experiences I got to have early on (which benefited me in many ways) that I wouldn't have had if I'd stayed in PS.

I was SO excited for the self study program and think it was the best thing I ever did with my education.

I think I got a better education than my peers, who were too busy socializing to learn anything. Sometimes I think -- how can you be so dense when we had the same education?! -- but then I remember not everyone was in school to learn. Most were there to socialize. A lot of them still live with their parents now, too O.o

Tags
homeschool

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search