Meteor exploded over Russia

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 15th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Will you be discussing this with your child(ren)? (age appropriate discussions of course)
I guess I should ask, do you discuss this sort of thing at all with your child(ren)?
It is part of your regular curriculum or do you set aside different lesson(s) for it?

This stuff fascinates us, so we're constantly discussing it and studying it. I was talking with some other HS parents this morning about it and it seems general consensus is this isn't a topic most even discuss much less delve into. But most couldn't, or rather wouldn't, explain to me why they don't. They almost seemed insulted I asked. I'll never understand why people get so offended at genuine curiosity, lol. One mom did say she didn't think her young child would understand. But even that, I don't quite get, because most subjects can be discussed at many levels. It just depends on how you offer the information and discuss/study it. Obviously it would need to be at their learning level. A toddler wouldn't(usually) understand a more complex explanation.

If you don't discuss this type of topic, or won't, is there any particular reason why?

I included some links, but there really are a ton, so, it would be easy to find more.

I'm sure many people are familiar with the 1908 Tunguska event in Russia but if not look here The Tunguska Impact--100 Years Later - NASA Science

Last night, another meteorite exploded over the city of Chelyabinsk east of the Urals, some 1500 km east of Moscow. this time thankfully a relatively minor event but nevertheless, hundreds of people are said to have been injured by glass shattered by the sonic boom (some reports suggest falling debris has caused injuries as well).There are many eye witness accounts and videos and these are spectacular.

Here are a few links, Google will show a lot more. The video in the first link taken from a car is amazing and turn your sound up for the second video on this page to hear the sonic boom at 27 seconds into the vid.

BREAKING: Huge Meteor Explodes Over Russia.

Huge Meteor Explodes Over Russia : Discovery News

So...thoughts?
February 15th, 2013, 05:45 PM
Regular
My girls watched it on the news today and we briefly talked about it. My girls are 10 and 12 so they are at an age that they are interested in more news worthy subjects.
February 15th, 2013, 10:03 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
We didn't discuss it. Why?

1. They watch the news with us over breakfast in the mornings, so they saw it with us.

2. They already understand how meteor-stuff works, because we've done the Apologia Astronomy book.

3. We'll do the astronomy book again in a couple more semesters, so I'll revisit this topic then.

4. We whole-heartedly believe what the Bible says about the final day of judgement, and it says Jesus is coming, not a meteorite; and it says no one will know when He's coming, unlike most meteorites; so we don't really care about stuff like this. Sure, one might hit the earth and do some damage, but the entire population won't be wiped out by it, and if we're right with God when it happens, it's not a big deal if it makes a direct hit on our house.

I wouldn't be offended by anyone asking if we discussed this with our kids. I'm not sure why people would respond to you in such a way. People are weird, I guess!
February 16th, 2013, 09:21 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Yeah I'm really not sure why some of them reacted the way they did. I know a couple of them said later in the discussion they felt I was attacking their religion. I honestly have no clue why or how, lol. Because I asked the very same questions here, as I did there. I don't see how it questions or attacks religion at all.
I'm the last person to do that to anyone. I don't have to share beliefs with someone to feel they have every right to have them. I honestly don't judge anyone based on religion and never would(in fact sometimes it fascinates me to read about others' beliefs). I grew up in a church/religion some look at with a head tilt, and have all kinds of issues with. I may not still believe everything I did, and may not still practice as I did then...but that's really neither here nor there. I'm neither "for" or "against" religion of any sort. So it's a but hard to swallow when people think I am judging theirs. It's not really possible for me to judge when I have no feelings in either direction, lol.

It's not a group of people I talk with a whole lot anymore. They're pretty judgmental when it comes to people who choose secular learning. So I already walk on egg shells. I should have known better, but I thought it was a safe topic
Part of why I love this board, even when it's quiet. There's no judgement

Anyway, to answer my own questions...
We've been talking a lot about astronomy and such, but we've been doing it since they were little. It's just a subject we find fascinating. The kids are a lot like me in that they want to understand absolutely everything, if that makes sense. So sometimes we go a bit overboard on our studying and research, discussions and such as well.
They've seen just about every video and webpage I can find about this particular incident because they also heard it on the news too. They already have a pretty good grasp on all kinds of things space-related. Gotta love my terrible terminology here. So it wasn't like trying to nail jello to a tree explaining it to them. Well explaining what happened, how it can happen, and things like this.
So we have talked about this one a lot. They do the same thing with all kinds of "disaster" related incidents too. Everything from weather to war, and everything in between.
It's not a subject I directly added to their curriculum, but it is part of their Science here and there. Just like a lot of other things are. Most textbooks, websites and reference books only scratch the surface though. When we have time we go a little deeper on subjects they want to learn more about. This happens to be one of them, among a million others, lol.
February 17th, 2013, 08:42 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
My older children are only 4 and 5, so we didn't discuss it in depth, but they saw it on the news so we tried to explain it in a way that they would understand.

I have no idea why anyone would think that you were attacking them!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search