When to start Kindergarten?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 27th, 2006, 05:54 AM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
My dh seems to think that ds will be ready to start Kindergarten next fall (he turns 3 this Sept). I started K when I was 4, but my 5th birthday was the end of Oct, so it was only a few months, not a whole year early! Dh is just so proud of his smart little guy. He knows all his abc's. He can sing them, he knows what sound each one makes, and he can point to them. He's nearly got the order of them down too (aside from singing them). He can count to about 15 by himself. He's not quite as good at recognizing numbers yet...but he's definitely interested in learning. He knows most of his colors and several shapes. Lots of animals and their sounds.

I don't want to force anything on him though. KWIM? But if we started with some Kindergarten lessons next fall and didn't really push things, would that be ok? I can't believe we're close enough to even be talking about it!!

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
July 27th, 2006, 02:20 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The best thing is to go with your child. If he seems intrested in something, then explore it; be it letters, numbers, planets, frogs, whatever! I simply pick out activities that I think are fun, that will help my daughter grow in some way. I don't really bother me if it's labled Pre K, Kindergarden or first grade. Many children are all over the board, so while they may be Kindergarden for legal or conversation sake there not held to that grade level work. They may need more time learning there letters but be doing second grade maths. Some kids have known there letters since 3 but still not be ready to read till 7, other kids will learn both letters and to read at 5. This is one of the benifits of homeschooling your child is not forced to move on before a concept is grasped or held back with busy work.
So I'm trying to say, try and get away from the ps mind set that your starting 'Kindergarden' next fall except for conversation sake. Remember whatever type of lessons you do don't over use workbooks, young kids need plenty of hands on activities.

From a legal and social perspective you don't want to be officially Kindergarten at 3. Firstly if you later feel you need to slow up or back track because you bought a curriculum which was too hard this might be awkward if you went official. Then you will need to think about finishing age. Do you want him to graduate a year or two younger? Also if you sign him up for activities which goes by grade rather then age he may also be at a social disadvantage by being younger.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
July 27th, 2006, 03:06 PM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
I think that Jo has a really good point about the "social" aspect of officially starting kindergarten at 3. I would certainly say that it sounds like he's ready for more formal pre-school lessons - and I only say "formal" because I didn't want to say "official" again. I'd suggest you just keep it fun and active, do just a small amount of time each day. As Jo said, let him lead in terms of what he'd like to learn about and things like that.

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

July 27th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
Oh oops, I should have made that more clear...I meant starting some K lessons in fall of 07. Hehe...Right now we're just working with flashcards and stuff like Memory, posterboards with letters/numbers, and some LeapFrog videos. Dh wants me to start writing some simple words down for ds too (like cat, ring, ball, etc) so that he can learn to recognize words. I'm so excited! I LOVED school growing up! And ds likes having a notebook to "write in" He only draws circles at this point, but its soo cute!

Whats a good way to teach him about emotions? He's sooo creative, but it seems like a lot of his creativeness goes towards sad stories "aw mom, horse is sad. Horse is crying." We try telling him that horse doesn't need to be sad, that Jesus wants him to be happy, and we smile and say stuff like "see, thats happy", but he always does sad stories.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
July 31st, 2006, 06:20 PM
dingledine's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to dingledine Send a message via Yahoo to dingledine
I am going to start pre-school and kindergarten stuff when he seems ready. My little guy is only 14 mo, but whenever (no time soon) that he shows me he is ready, we will ease into it. Be that summer, fall, winter, spring. When it is time, we will start.

Jewelry for yourself, or for a friend. Breastfeeding aides, beautiful bracelets, earings and more.

Store.beadsarebeautiful.com
July 31st, 2006, 06:48 PM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
I'm not suer about the emotions thing, other than just to emphasize all the different emotions as you read and go throughout the day. Also, I'm sure that there are lots of kids books on emotions that you could get from the library.

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search