Taking sick time...

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 18th, 2013, 01:05 PM
UniqueHandle's Avatar Veteran
I homeschool my DS8 (my DD's, ages 16 and 6 are in public school)... on 2/7 he had his tonsils removed. I had planned on starting his "classes" up tomorrow (taking today off because his sisters have the day off for Presidents Day).

Last Thursday (2/14) he started hemorrhaging and had to have emergency surgery. He is recovering (again) but has asked when he can start school. His Dr said no school for 14 more days but his Dr doesn't know he is homeschooled. Well, he does know because I told him but he may not remember.

One of the joys of homeschooling is that he can do it anywhere, including bed. I am not sure I want him starting back up tomorrow but I certainly don't think he needs to wait 14 days.

As a homeschooling parent, what would you do?
February 18th, 2013, 01:39 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
I would go with his comfort level. That's what we do.
You can just start out and if he's just not up to it, you can always stop for the day. I always go with what each kiddo needs. If someone is sick or just generally having a bad day, taking it off isn't really a big deal for us. We already go over the yearly required hours for this state by April(after starting in September usually). So I'm not worried about that at all. This happens to be one state where they are meticulous about hours too, unlike a lot of other states.

Doctors do tend to overestimate how long someone should be off work or school. It's almost always for good reason though. It's just a general guide. The 14 days your doc gave you may very well be because this surgery he is now recovering from was due to complications from another. So it's likely he may need a little more time to get back into the swing of normal things than he otherwise would. Or that he should need more time and should take it more careful than he would otherwise, even if feeling perfectly fine. 14 days might be too much, or you might find that it's spot on. You just never know.

My sister had the same kind of complication after having her tonsils taken out too. She was 12 or 13 at the time I believe. The initial procedure went fine, but she had issues after the fact and eventually needed another surgery to correct the bleeding. Her recovery the first go round was fine until the bleeding got out of hand-seemingly out of nowhere. Her doc had originally said no school for 5-7 days. Her second recovery was horrible and she was out of school for 18 days.(not counting weekends) She definitely needed the full recovery time. But there are probably a ton of other kids who wouldn't.
February 18th, 2013, 02:06 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I agree... the doctor has good reason for making recommendations like that. Take a little time off, and then ease back into school. My general rule is that if you're sick enough to be in bed, you're sick enough not to have school, but if you're well enough to play with xbox, legos, and comic books, you're well enough to read school books and do online assignments as well.

This situation is a little different than just being sick, but play it by ear. I don't think you'll really need 14 days.
February 18th, 2013, 03:24 PM
UniqueHandle's Avatar Veteran
Thanks ladies!

Having him wake me up with a waterfall of blood that morning has really turned me into a nervous mom. I called the doctors office today and asked how important the 14 day no school period was and she said if he was going to school, they wouldn't want him going to the actual school because of the flu that is going around. She also said he isn't supposed to be around large groups of people for at least a month and no traveling. This was all news to me. I thought the no traveling was just for 2 weeks... not a full month. Not that is is a huge deal... I had to cancel our Disney trip due to him missing so much school before I started homeschooling.

I am definitely going to play it by ear. I think I am going to have him start doing some school work on Wednesday... maybe take a usual one week lesson and drag it our for two weeks.
February 19th, 2013, 05:50 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I'd go with what works. Actually going to school is a lot different from laying in bed and reading something or doing a worksheet. We usually school even when sick unless they are *very* sick.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

February 19th, 2013, 04:12 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
I would use your own judgement, and his judgement. No one knows what he's up for better than him and you!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search