Pregnant & HSing 2 kids- Exhausted, tips?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Genipher
  • 1 Post By Countrymom4
  • 1 Post By BensMom
  • 1 Post By 4hearts
  • 1 Post By jhmomofmany

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 10th, 2013, 09:25 AM
Rochelle

I'm nearing the end of my second trimester with my 4th child. I'm HSing my oldest 2 children grades 4th and Kindergarten. I'm exhausted all the time and we are still playing catch-up from the 1st trimester when I was SUPER exhausted and nauseous. Things have gotten somewhat better but with housekeeping and the 2 y/o and going on weekly extracurricular outings/playdates, I have a very hard time keeping up with the 4th grader's studies and the Kindergarten is nearly nonexistent most days.

It's really hard admitting this and I definitely am not giving up but I need to kick it into high gear and I was wondering if anyone has any winning tips for coping with the late pregnancy and HSing.

March 10th, 2013, 11:10 AM
Veteran
Could your older kids help their younger sibling with lessons? My 8-year-old sometimes helps our 3-year-old with ABC's and whatnot.

Or maybe do school with the older children one day, and then let them skip the next day while you work with the younger child?

I'd also suggest maybe cutting back to basics. Keep it simple. Just do reading, writing and math until you've got more energy to deal with the rest.
One of the pluses of homeschooling (as you probably know) is that we usually get far ahead of the public schools. So if you have to take more days off, it's okay!
4hearts likes this.

Last edited by Genipher; March 10th, 2013 at 11:13 AM.
March 10th, 2013, 08:44 PM
Countrymom4's Avatar Chrystal
School when the 2 year old naps, cook meals ahead, I have found great things on pinterest to keep my 2 year old busy even the kindergarden playing. Total agree do the basics for now, reading, writing and math. Or have the reading assinment be a LA sheet on grammer( for a example).
4hearts likes this.

March 10th, 2013, 08:59 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Don't worry about the K'er. If you allow screen time, a K'er can learn pretty much everything they need to know on starfall.com and xtramath.org. Focus on the basics for the oldest, and encourage independence when possible. Yes, some things need to be taught, but a lot of what a 4th grader does can be done alone (handwriting, spelling practice, math practice, independent reading, etc.). Get some rest while the 2 year old is napping, and come up with a box of activities and/or toys that are "special" and can ONLY be used for a couple of hours each day during times that you need to be involved with the oldest (or your pillow... LOL).

The oldest can certainly entertain the 2 year old for an hour while you cat-nap on the couch, too. Maybe turn it into a paid job (money, time for video games, or whatever).
4hearts likes this.
March 11th, 2013, 07:57 AM
Rochelle
Oh wow! You ladies rock! Such good suggestions.

I do have 4th grader teach Kindergartener some days and sometimes she creates her own worksheets for him But I think I'm going to implement that more.

I do have her(4th grader) do what she can by herself but she needs extra help in math, writing and geography. She does cursive, language arts, science, reading etc fine on her own.

Also, giving her(4th grader) incentives to watch 2 y/o while I work with Kindergartener is a great idea!

DS has already started requesting studies today so after we eat I'm going to go ahead and get something done with him and then he likes to play starfall and such while I work with DD1.

Thanks for the suggestion for the pinterest activities for toddler. I saved them a long time ago and promptly forgot to actually utilize them I swear I'm my own worst enemy some days!

Sadly, it's been harder and harder to get 2.5 y/o to nap anymore. I get it from her about 4 days a week now. Maybe I should just make sure those days are school days and give her a nap-break the other days.

Who knew juggling kids would be so hard! Haha..

Seriously, thanks ladies. I feel much better today
UniqueHandle likes this.
March 11th, 2013, 03:09 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Your kids are about the same ages as some of my kids, and we are due only a few days apart! My students are K, 3rd, 5th, 7th, two high schoolers, plus the 2yo who wants to "do school". Things helping me right now... I write a to-do list every night to keep myself focused. We do not have a "schedule" but we do have a routine. We are doing formal study of only the core subjects. I go to bed pretty much right after the kids do so I can get 8+ hours. And, I'm making sure I'm eating well and regularly and getting some exercise every day.

Also, prioritize tasks and projects. I know I am starting to feel like I need to get EVERYTHING done because baby will be coming, but the reality is that three months is a long time. If your goal is to get a certain amount of school work done by the end of a traditional school year, then that will have to be your primary focus. Other "before baby" projects can wait until later. (Even though those are more fun!)

Good luck!!
4hearts likes this.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

March 14th, 2013, 08:57 AM
Rochelle
Thanks Jennifer

Yea, prioritizing is not my strong suit bc whatever I SHOULD be doing I instinctively want to do the thing that would be most fun.

I think my thyroid levels are off right now which could be making me EXTRA tired but I have been getting better sleep since I originally posted this topic and haven't felt like napping during the day so that's good.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search