New to Homeschooling

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By 2pinks&ablue
  • 1 Post By BensMom
  • 1 Post By BensMom
  • 1 Post By LABs
  • 1 Post By 2pinks&ablue

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 18th, 2013, 02:02 PM
Justiah's Avatar Super Mommy
Hello I have 3 children and I want to Homeschool. The are 5,3 and 18 months Im going to start Homeschooling this year with my 5 year old any tips on how to start and how to get there interest? also on ways to involve her siblings possibly so it will make for an easier learning experience?

March 18th, 2013, 04:42 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
Welcome! I'm Chantelle, mommy to four kids 5 and under. Pinterest has been a great resource for us, and we love unit studies too. I find that they are very easy to customize for all ages. As for starting, I think start slowly and follow their lead. I was given that advice before we began and it has been a lifesaver for us
Justiah likes this.
March 18th, 2013, 07:49 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Welcome!! Yes, just start slowly, and at first follow the child's lead. Learn about whatever is interesting, don't be afraid to ditch the schedule and go down a rabbit trail of learning, and just have fun. There is plenty of time for heavy structure down the road, but for how, focus on the basics and encourage exploration. Read together (both fiction and non-fiction), and just have fun.

Where are you from? Have you already checked out your local laws? Some places specify a certain set of subjects, days, and hours (even for a 5 year old), but most don't.
Justiah likes this.
March 27th, 2013, 09:16 PM
Hello and thank you ladies for your reply. Chantelle I have heard about Pinterest but have no clue how to navigate the pages as Iíve just seen what my friends have posted on their Facebook. How do I find what Iím looking for on Pinterest?? I have never heard of Unit Studies is it a web page? I am relieved to hear that you donít have to move very quickly and we can take it a bit slowly. BensMom I am from Alberta Canada. I am currently looking into all the laws and support groups etc. in the area and will be contacting our school board soon to find out what they say. I am not the most creative person. What are a few things you tried to help your kids get interested in learning and that might be fun at the same time?? Thanks again to both of you for your input

Ps.BensMom Great verse
.....Ephesians 4:29 - Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

March 28th, 2013, 12:14 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I also know almost nothing about Pinterest.

Unit Studies are a style of schooling. For example, you could spend a week or month studying ancient Egypt. From that study, you'd (obviously) have history & geography, but you can also pull in math, literature, art, culture, and so on. So... math could be the identification of shapes (square + triangles = pyramid) or kitchen calculations while you cook foods from Egypt or formed into the shape of Egypt. It could be estimating how many squares of toilet paper are needed to wrap someone like a mummy. You could practice handwriting by writing your name or other words in hieroglyphs (lots of fine motor control). Read stories about the time and people, read about their gods and customs, etc. You could "mummify" a worm with salt for science. If you teach Bible, you can study lying (Abraham), providence (Joseph), faith (Moses), and hope (Jesus), because all were in Egypt at some point in their lives.

Getting your kids interested in learning is like getting them interested in air or food. Kids love to learn. Just follow their interests and see where it leads you.

This should help you get started in Canada. I'm not as familiar with the laws there as I am in the U.S.

Oh... and the verse is a constant reminder to myself to think before I post. If others want to follow it, that's great, too!
Justiah likes this.

Last edited by BensMom; March 28th, 2013 at 12:21 AM.
March 28th, 2013, 01:08 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Welcome! I try to include my toddlers as much as possible. Many mothers wait for nap time and that is useful too. I have my little one at the table doing school too. Its amazing what they learn by being with the big kids! My kids are older, so we have sit down work to complete daily. My girls will be doing math while my little ones do preschool. Preschool used to be drawing, playing with manipulatives or his favorite thing at 18 months was stringing. Id set out cheerios and he would fill up pipe cleaners!
Justiah likes this.

March 29th, 2013, 04:56 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
On Pinterest, once you sign up, you just search whatever you're looking for in the search bar (teaching kindergarten, addition, kindergarten art, whatever you want) and a bunch of pictures with descriptions will show up. If it's something that interests you, just click "repin" and it will ask which board to want to pin it to (I have different boards for different subjects) and then you can go back and look at them later. When you click on the picture, it takes you to the webpage. It's basically an online bulletin board!

Alberta has great supports for homeschoolers! We've considered moving there (and are actually considering it again) and they are by far the friendliest place for homeschoolers in Canada from what I've seen!
Justiah likes this.
April 2nd, 2013, 09:06 AM
Thank you so much BensMom those are great Ideas. Sorry It is takeing me so long to reply I have found myself very busy lately thank you so much for all your help!

April 2nd, 2013, 09:16 AM
Thank you Chantelle that really helps I will go and see if I can wok it LOL. I’m glad to hear that we are in a province that is Homeschooler friendly that is encouraging . What a move that is we were in Bridgewater NS for a while and decided move back to Alberta it was a long trip but that was about 5 years ago now. Hopefully you will figure out what will be best for your family!! Thank you again for all your help

April 2nd, 2013, 09:23 AM
Thank you LABs for your reply. That is one of my biggest worries, trying to Homeschool at all different age ranges. I like your pipe cleaner suggestion I will try that with my 18 month old he is really smart and I’m sure he would pick it up in no time! I will try to involve the younger kids with my oldest while she is learning and see how that works. They all have so much energy at this age though and I don’t know if they will just be a distraction to her. I guess I will just have to try and see how it works!! Thank you for your help

April 16th, 2013, 05:35 AM
Regular
Welcome, I'm Nancy and I homeschool a 4th grader and 6th grader.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search