Going back to homeschooling with all 3 kids...nervous!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 3rd, 2013, 05:52 AM
Hi all. Last year I homeschooled my 13 yr old due to epilepsy. It worked out rather well and I loved it! He did a fabulous job on his state tests, which told me it was working. But then I worried about him missing his friends and put him back this year. So about 3 months in, he went back into the hospital, in & out etc... Got very far behind and neuro put him on home-INSTRUCTION, not homeschool. When a tutor comes an hour a day. Anyway, they don't even give him science or SS. And it's been that way all year. He goes to school two hours and his petit mals are triggered by the flickering lighting in the school, so we are getting NOWHERE... So next year, he's coming back home.

This led to my 11 & 8 yr old wishing to do the same. My 11 yr old is in the gifted program at school, so I know she will love homeschooling simply because she LOVES to learn. I've been upset about the influences at her school. We had a great school district, but it's been sliding. A lot of homes around here went into foreclosure, businesses shut down, the parents are stressed and their kids unsupervised. 12 yr olds drinking and having sex etc... And honestly, I'm not an uptight person or paranoid, it's just a matter of basic human morals that these kids today are missing. I get flipped off just driving down the street and I live in a 'good' neighborhood! So after talking with DH, we decided we'd go ahead and pull my 11 dd too.

Then my 8yr old ds, also excelling at school, straight A's, teacher even moved him up a grade level for language arts, but then he brought home his new 'best friend'.....ugh! This boy walked into my house at 8 yrs old and all he did was swear every other word. Then when the mother came to pick him, she started talking about who's #$#$ she was going to kick and proceeded to throw her cigarette on my porch. Then when she called her son to come to her so they could leave, she said :Get your F*** A*** in here!

I'm DONE with the public school system! I have absolutely NO SAY in who my child associates with 5 days a week.

BUT: I'm terrified...3? Is it impossible? Is it hard to work out some type of schedule? I also have a 20 yr old DD, but she's in college, however, she is studying bio-chem, so she absolutely could help out quite a bit on the weekends. Maybe with science? I'd really love to make this work. I've been organizing and reorganizing for the past several months, just trying to make sure I even have to space for this. My family (Mostly teachers and child psychs) is even on board and that was HARD to do! I thought my mothers head was going to start spinning around when I first brought it up, but then she came around. Her background is child psychology and even SHE agreed that socialization is NOT all it's cracked up to be and that a large group of kids teaching each other how to be well rounded adults, was IMPOSSIBLE! They learn adult mature behavior from adults.

So anyway, has anyone else homeschooled multiple grade levels and actually lived to tell about it?!!?! LOL
April 3rd, 2013, 12:10 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Haha... lived to tell about it? Yes! There are tons of people who are doing the very same thing - some of them are on this forum. I only have 2 kids, and we've HS'ed from the start, so I'm probably not much help, but you're doing the right thing, and your kids are old enough that you absolutely won't lose your head. Doing something like this with babies and toddlers under foot is difficult, but your kids are past that stage. They're ready to learn, they're able to read and write, and they'll be able to do independent work while you help one child at a time when necessary. You can use co-ops, tutors, video instruction, computer instruction, or whatever necessary to teach subjects you're not sure you can handle. Don't worry about it. In a year, you'll look back and see that you made the right choice, and you'll have a much better idea what you're doing.
April 6th, 2013, 03:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
How fun! I have four that I'm homeschooling. Only 3 that I count, but my two yr old would never put up with being left behind! My girls are 11 and nearly 10. We've always homeschooled, so there wasn't an adjustment period. At their ages homeschooling is pretty easy. For me its more like tutoring. My little ones require much more time.

Are you going to go through the state or pick your own curriculum? Many of my kids homeschooled peers were in gifted programs. The schools weren't meeting their needs. I'd look up your local homeschool groups for support and friends. Socialization is not what its cracked up to be. My DH got an education of the kids peers while substituting Sunday School last month. These were good kids from good families. My DH had no idea kids were so hard to control and they were all 9-10 and a small group. Here he thought our kids didn't listen!

April 11th, 2013, 11:26 AM
Countrymom4's Avatar Chrystal
I am currently homeschooling 2 but next year is 3

Thank You tasha_mae

April 14th, 2013, 03:03 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
I have four kids altogether, but only two that are "school-age" right now, but I just wanted to say welcome! You'll do fine
April 16th, 2013, 05:23 AM
Regular
I only homeschool 2 kids a 4th and 6th grader. I live in a good homeschool community and the average family homeschools 4 to 6 kids. They mainly have a good daily schedule and keep everyone on track.

Nancy
April 16th, 2013, 05:23 AM
Regular
I only homeschool 2 kids a 4th and 6th grader. I live in a good homeschool community and the average family homeschools 4 to 6 kids. They mainly have a good daily schedule and keep everyone on track.

Nancy

Tags
homeschool , kids , multiple

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search